Nassau-Torn between Blue Lagoon Beach Break or Enjoy the ship

irishgirl0525

So I'm torn between these two options. I was pretty set on staying on the ship for our Nassau stop and enjoying as much as we can when people are off the ship. However, I was out with a friend last night who has been to Nassau a few times and said it's a dump, don't do anything near the port, but she really, really loved her Blue Lagoon beach day, and that it was so beautiful. I have read mixed reviews on the experience there, and I really don't want to spend 5 hours off the ship for that port, but maybe I should reconsider.

I know it's all based on what kind of experience I want, very subjective, but I would love to hear opinions and your experience/advice.  We are doing a western caribbean itinerary with stops in Nassau, Cozumel, Roatan and Costa Maya.  Is the beach at Blue Lagoon going to be better than the others? 

We'll probably do El Cozumelino in Cozumel, we are doing a private tour and West bay beach in Roatan and Maya Chan in Costa Maya so we have no shortage of beach days. 

My husband and daughter did the blue lagoon beach break and dolphin swim back in March. Pics and details are in my Anthem blog (link in signature below). They loved it and hubby did mention how beautiful it was there. He said that was his favourite beach in comparison to Labadee and Coco cay. And he also mentioned that the water level is quite shallow before it gets deep so great for kids. I feel like it is a pricey excursion though.

Thanks so much for all of the feedback, I'm sorry I disappeared, I was at work and then got busy and couldn't get back to the board!

23 hours ago, rjac said:

What ship are you on and have you cruised it before? :27_sunglasses:

We are going on Allure and it's my first time on the ship and my husband and daughter's first time so that's why I thought it would be fun to stay on.

22 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm sure it's just me, but with all of those other beach days planned, I would probably choose to stay on the ship in Nassau....especially if Nassau is near the end of the itinerary.

This is what I was thinking, we have other beach days planned. Nassau is actually the first port we are going to.

17 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

We did Blue Lagoon and quite enjoyed it.  Having said that, we are doing same itinerary as you on Symphony and we'll be staying on the ship for Nassau day. We prefer another sea day and Nassau us a good stop to give up.

I originally planned to stay on in Roatan because I have been there before but then I heard Nassau was the one to skip. 

15 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

My husband and daughter did the blue lagoon beach break and dolphin swim back in March. Pics and details are in my Anthem blog (link in signature below). They loved it and hubby did mention how beautiful it was there. He said that was his favourite beach in comparison to Labadee and Coco cay. And he also mentioned that the water level is quite shallow before it gets deep so great for kids. I feel like it is a pricey excursion though.

I think this is what is making me consider it the most. I think the shallow water will be great for our daughter and the beach seems like it will be the prettiest. I will check out your Anthem Blog.

We actually have a Dolphin encounter booked in Cozumel but I plan to cancel it since my husband is feeling guilty about the dolphins being in captivity and then we would do El Cozumelino.   If we did this beach break in Nassau i think we could at least see the dolphins and sea lions (according to my friend) if my daughter wanted to.  But you are right, it's a pricey excursion. 

17 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

My husband and daughter did the blue lagoon beach break

I've been looking at this myself.  Do you think it's a tour that we could take with handicapped hubby? Or too cumbersome. Would love to get him to a beach this trip. RC says it's accessible but I want to be realistic too.

3 hours ago, irishgirl0525 said:

We are going on Allure and it's my first time on the ship and my husband and daughter's first time so that's why I thought it would be fun to stay on

We have been on the Allure four times and have been to Nassau three times. Trust me, there is a LOT to do! If your child is a teen, I recommend the teen club (can't remember the name) on deck 15. There's Adventure Ocean for the little ones also. The pools are very crowded on cruise days but not on port days and the on board shops are closed when the ship is in port. I would gladly stay on the ship and maybe venture of for a brief walk through the straw market. :27_sunglasses:

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

I've been looking at this myself.  Do you think it's a tour that we could take with handicapped hubby? Or too cumbersome. Would love to get him to a beach this trip. RC says it's accessible but I want to be realistic too.

I can ask Hubby more later and get back to you.  But it involves a 30-40min boat ride to Blue Lagoon.

@Boston Babe hubby said that he did not notice whether or not it was accessible. But he did say that there are wooden stairs and ramps in the loading area for the ferry. I asked him if he noticed ramps around but he could not recall. He did mention that maybe give them a call to inquire....

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:40 PM, irishgirl0525 said:

We actually have a Dolphin encounter booked in Cozumel but I plan to cancel it since my husband is feeling guilty about the dolphins being in captivity and then we would do El Cozumelino.   If we did this beach break in Nassau i think we could at least see the dolphins and sea lions (according to my friend) if my daughter wanted to.  But you are right, it's a pricey excursion. 

My wife and daughter did the dolphin encounter in Cozumel and were very disappointed.

I'm very appreciative of this thread - I'm glad to know Blue Lagoon is so beautiful - now I'm looking forward to it even more. I'll be on Mariner in 9 days (!!!!!!!) and I finally settled on the Blue Lagoon Eco Walk - I'd love to do the dolphins excursion (or even more, the Sea Lion excursion) but after being a zoo keeper for 16 years, I know I'd be really annoyed having to share their time with other people (#wildlifesnob).

• 4 weeks later...

I am super late responding to this, I guess my notifications were off...I checked and there are 4 ships in port that day. That's a lot!

Last night my husband said he would like to get off the ship because otherwise it's 3 straight days on the ship, which is fine with me, but it's his first time and he's not sure he'll like that.  I told him then he can do the research and pick an excursion because I am out of ideas for Nassau!

I did the Blue Lagoon Eco Walk a few weeks ago when I was on Mariner (only one ship in port that day).  The island is nice and I did enjoy the boat ride out and back, however as a beach day I enjoyed CoCo Cay much more - the Eco Walk on Blue Lagoon was a walk around the island with a guide - and although he was a very entertaining guide, there's not a lot of Eco to be found on the small island (my expectations are typically high since I've been trained as a biologist and naturalist myself - I found myself answering the questions people asked that he didn't know the answers to).  The big hammocks were comfy and shaded, which I liked - the food didn't really appeal to me. The beach and water were quite pretty, though.

Hello, we are on the same ship and stops (Allure - March 3) with my extended family (14 of us) and would like to do a beach day in Nassau, so I figure I would just add to this topic. 

The beach that is walk-able doesn't seem like a great option, crowds and quality? We are debating between shelling out the money to pay for the RC Blue Lagoon beach break excursion or trying to take a taxi or bus to one of the other beaches. 

Wondering if anybody here has thoughts on trying to get 14 people back and forth to one of the other beaches via public transportation? Also, any recommendations on which beach to go  to?

7 hours ago, mn_puckluck said:

Hello, we are on the same ship and stops (Allure - March 3) with my extended family (14 of us) and would like to do a beach day in Nassau, so I figure I would just add to this topic. 

The beach that is walk-able doesn't seem like a great option, crowds and quality? We are debating between shelling out the money to pay for the RC Blue Lagoon beach break excursion or trying to take a taxi or bus to one of the other beaches. 

Wondering if anybody here has thoughts on trying to get 14 people back and forth to one of the other beaches via public transportation? Also, any recommendations on which beach to go  to?

Welcome to the message boards!

One option to consider is a day pass to a resort that meets some of your needs.  It is walkable from the port but a private resort so not subject to the disadvantages of the public beach.  There is a cost but since you are willing to pay for an excursion or transportation that doesn't appear to be an issue.  Have a look:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/04/03/excursion-focus-british-colonial-hilton-nassau-bahamas

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2019 at 8:37 AM, twangster said:

Welcome to the message boards!

One option to consider is a day pass to a resort that meets some of your needs.  It is walkable from the port but a private resort so not subject to the disadvantages of the public beach.  There is a cost but since you are willing to pay for an excursion or transportation that doesn't appear to be an issue.  Have a look:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/04/03/excursion-focus-british-colonial-hilton-nassau-bahamas

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS @twangster!  I've been searching for this information.  I watched @Matt a couple weeks ago LIVE on FB and could NOT for the life of me remember what it was called, he (along with several others) recommended the British Colonial and I spaced it when it came time to look for it. We're taking our 16yo DS and his best friend, also 16, and have a Nassau stop.