Last minute cancellation - only one person will travel

Cez

I read today on another thread that the one remaining passenger WILL get double points (although I had not believed this to be true before...learn something new every day !!) but I do not FOR SURE that you should NOT cancel the second person under any circumstances.  Just let them be a no-show. You're not going to get any money back either way (except for port fees and taxes on the no-show) so do not give them any excuse to mess with you.  Leave the reservation as-is and let the second person be a no-show.

This scenario has occurred a few time for me, simply because I cruise a lot and while I hope my cruise buddies can go, sometimes for one reason or another they can't at the last minute.  I've always received double points but like any solo cruise they don't always post correctly and a quick phone call to C&A fixes that.  

If you have pre-paid items for them I'd suggest cancelling those but do not remove them from the booking.  There generally is no advantage to remove them.  Taxes and port fees will be refunded.  

All other items prepaid items *should* be refunded.  I'd cancel them off any excursions now, you can do that yourself through the cruise planner unless the cruise is tomorrow.  For prepaid gratuity and drink package I'd drop by guest services upon boarding and have them work on those items for you.    

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!  So it sounds like I need to leave the reservation as is and have my TA remove the prepaid gratuity. I was going to purchase The Key, so I'll get with guest services once I board to have that sorted out.  Excursions aren't booked yet and I'm not planning on a beverage package so I should be good there.  I appreciate all the quick responses and great information!!

• 11 months later...
On 1/23/2019 at 10:38 AM, twangster said:

This scenario has occurred a few time for me, simply because I cruise a lot and while I hope my cruise buddies can go, sometimes for one reason or another they can't at the last minute.  I've always received double points but like any solo cruise they don't always post correctly and a quick phone call to C&A fixes that.  

If you have pre-paid items for them I'd suggest cancelling those but do not remove them from the booking.  There generally is no advantage to remove them.  Taxes and port fees will be refunded.  

All other items prepaid items *should* be refunded.  I'd cancel them off any excursions now, you can do that yourself through the cruise planner unless the cruise is tomorrow.  For prepaid gratuity and drink package I'd drop by guest services upon boarding and have them work on those items for you.    

I called to ask this and was told that no shows at the port would still just get single points.  I know I have read on here many times that is incorrect so I will call back tomorrow.  Any other suggestions?

1 hour ago, DanielB said:

I called to ask this and was told that no shows at the port would still just get single points.  I know I have read on here many times that is incorrect so I will call back tomorrow.  Any other suggestions?

Frankly I wouldn't even bother calling - they are so frequently misinformed.  The port fees and taxes will be refunded and the solo cruiser will get the double points.