Sea pass prepaid

sydney

1 hour ago, cmdrfrag said:

You can attach a credit card to the account online.
Once thats attached they will charge this card at the end of your cruise for any charges you have made with your Sea Pass card.

Can I attach the credit card to it now, 45 days before cruise ? Also does that mean I can start using my sea pass soon I get on board, with out visiting concierge ? Thanks

The only reason to stand in line at guest services upon boarding would be to add some cash to an onboard account.

Some people don't have or don't like to use a credit card and prefer to keep everything cash based.  Others, like myself add a credit during the online check in process up to 90 days away from sailing.  You can also provide a credit card or change it when you arrive in the terminal before boarding.

Charges on board are typically all in $ USD and for cruises out of the US region that might mean foreign transaction fees and exchange conversion for non-US residents.  That might be another reason why some cruisers would prefer to keep it cash based.

Just now, JoeDro said:

My question is, how do they charge you?

I just did online check in and all they asked for was the last 4 of my card number so I'm wondering when they get the rest of the info?

Welcome to the message boards!

Royal is in the process of unifying all ships to the same hotel billing system.  At present there are three check in experiences that vary in subtle ways.  

In the case of just asking for the last four, you will be asked to present the card in the terminal upon checking in just before boarding on day one.  

...and after you have checked in and provided them with a CC, you will be given your Sea Pass card.  Everything that you do onboard (for which there is an additional charge), will be billed to your Sea Pass card, which, in turn, is charged to your CC on record.  You can change CC mid-cruise by going to Guest Services, but the one time I did this (many years ago) it's something of a hassle so it's best to stick with your original CC if you can.

1 hour ago, JoeDro said:

Thank you!! I've been reading about issues with fund holds so I just switched to cash.

Issues with fund holds are typically encountered by guests trying to use a debit card and are a result of the bank maintaining the hold just to be sure.  They keep the funds held in a 'pending' state.  

Most credit cards, for anyone with good payment history, clear holds fairly quickly.  If someone is close to reaching their credit limit a bank might decide to extend a hold to protect themselves.  To be clear though, it's the bank or credit card company who maintain the fund holds, not the cruise line.

We rented snowmobiles a few weeks ago.  The outfit places a pending charge of $500 for damages which is refunded if you bring the machine back damage free.  One younger member of our party was going to use a debit card for the damage deposit.  They warned him his bank will likely keep the $500 on hold for an extended period of time, because that is what banks do with debit cards and pending charges.