Brilliance - Quick Update

Dawn T.

My husband and I just returned from a quick cruise to Cozumel on the Brilliance out of Tampa.  I just wanted to take a minute to post a couple of pictures to show some updates to the ship.  I know @Matt is sailing on Brilliance next month.  Last year (01/2018) and the prior year (01/2017), we sailed in JS cabin 1560.  Here are a couple of pics from the cabin and the dining room:

IMG_2686.JPG.40481a9e71a2c01a60c5caffcbbcbbf6.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG.15a31ff3e9cfd36a9f5e10ab3b930da8.JPGIMG_2691.JPG.377726bacb41418db5e0ac575476f276.JPG

This year we couldn't get JS cabin 1560, so we had JS cabin 1568 just down the hall.  Here is a pic of the cabin and the dining room:

IMG_3457.jpg.9a6fd4e40cb3a0107bfc24d727b1771d.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg.c01f345b1c96503ca606196acfb59e96.jpg

The dining room got new chairs and looks great.  Sorry, I only took the photo of our table rather than the whole dining room.  Of note in the cabin, new sofa (grey instead of dark blue), new chair (medium blue instead of burgandy), and new drapes (medium blue instead of burgandy).  I really liked the changes.  We both thought everything looked great!  The cabin furniture in 1568 may not have been new, since we were not in this cabin last year.  But we loved the different look!

Interesting, that they've done a shift to all-white for the dining room chairs and and whites / grays with blue accent for the rooms. If you take a look at Celebrity's page for the Celebrity Summit and click the links for accommodations and dining about halfway down the page, you'll see examples of the new look under the "Celebrity Revolution" revitalization program. That also has a shift in decor to mostly white and gray with small accent colors, but even more pronounced. The accommodations page doesn't show regular rooms until you go most of the way down, as it's mainly dedicated to the suite changes, but you can see a couple of examples of regular rooms as well.

Given the earlier discussion between @twangster and me of how Radiance class is nigh-indistinguishable from Celebrity's Millennium class ships in terms of size and other "base specs", and how they might be working on a long-term plan to phase out those smaller ships from Royal's fleet and get the people who like sailing them (and the ports they visit) to move over to Celebrity, synching up the decor to a degree would be a smart move. Then when you move from Radiance class to any Celebrity ship, you get a sense of familiarity while noticing that the decor is kicked up a notch.

Just now, JLMoran said:

Interesting, that they've done a shift to all-white for the dining room chairs and and whites / grays with blue accent for the rooms. If you take a look at Celebrity's page for the Celebrity Summit and click the links for accommodations and dining about halfway down the page, you'll see examples of the new look under the "Celebrity Revolution" revitalization program. That also has a shift in decor to mostly white and gray with small accent colors, but even more pronounced. The accommodations page doesn't show regular rooms until you go most of the way down, as it's mainly dedicated to the suite changes, but you can see a couple of examples of regular rooms as well.

Given the earlier discussion between @twangster and me of how Radiance class is nigh-indistinguishable from Celebrity's Millennium class ships in terms of size and other "base specs", and how they might be working on a long-term plan to phase out those smaller ships from Royal's fleet and get the people who like sailing them (and the ports they visit) to move over to Celebrity, synching up the decor to a degree would be a smart move. Then when you move from Radiance class to any Celebrity ship, you get a sense of familiarity while noticing that the decor is kicked up a notch.

Maybe they are buying in bulk as they spruce up the M class ? 

• 3 weeks later...

I just booked Brilliance for the re-positioning cruise in May 2019 from Tampa to Amsterdam.  I was worried about the condition of her and called the company.  The woman told me that during the dry dock the boat was being retrofitted and that we would essentially be sailing on a new boat.  Now, reading the info here, I suspect that 10 days does not equal a retrofit.

1 hour ago, AJIndiana said:

I just booked Brilliance for the re-positioning cruise in May 2019 from Tampa to Amsterdam.  I was worried about the condition of her and called the company.  The woman told me that during the dry dock the boat was being retrofitted and that we would essentially be sailing on a new boat.  Now, reading the info here, I suspect that 10 days does not equal a retrofit.

Welcome to the message boards!

I just sailed Brilliance a few weeks ago. Brilliance has received some updates over time as noted above plus items like LED lighting in the Centrum and other places around the ship.  In that respect she is much like Serenade more so than Radiance.  

I can't say that I saw anything that jumped out at me as if she needed to be further retrofitted.    She was in great shape and I have no complaints.  

Some other Royal ships are going through an Amplification program at the moment where the ships are getting new features like water slides, Skypads, new sports bars, etc.  Brilliance wasn't included in that program so it's not getting new features but they have been keeping the existing features and the ship in general in great shape.  

I think the difference is those ships are being "revitalized" and gaining new features that didn't exist before compared to "retrofitted" where existing features are updated as noted above.

Keep an eye on the blog as @Matt who runs this site is boarding her very soon and will be blogging about it here:

16 hours ago, AJIndiana said:

You should have no concerns about the state of the vessel for your sailing. I wouldn't give it another moment's thought.

17 hours ago, AJIndiana said:

Brilliance is my favorite ship in the fleet - you'll have some amazing views and great accommodations for a transatlantic. I'm quite jealous! 

• 4 years later...
On 1/22/2019 at 10:31 AM, Dawn T. said:

My husband and I just returned from a quick cruise to Cozumel on the Brilliance out of Tampa.  I just wanted to take a minute to post a couple of pictures to show some updates to the ship.  I know @Matt is sailing on Brilliance next month.  Last year (01/2018) and the prior year (01/2017), we sailed in JS cabin 1560.  Here are a couple of pics from the cabin and the dining room:

IMG_2686.JPG.40481a9e71a2c01a60c5caffcbbcbbf6.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG.15a31ff3e9cfd36a9f5e10ab3b930da8.JPGIMG_2691.JPG.377726bacb41418db5e0ac575476f276.JPG

This year we couldn't get JS cabin 1560, so we had JS cabin 1568 just down the hall.  Here is a pic of the cabin and the dining room:

IMG_3457.jpg.9a6fd4e40cb3a0107bfc24d727b1771d.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg.c01f345b1c96503ca606196acfb59e96.jpg

The dining room got new chairs and looks great.  Sorry, I only took the photo of our table rather than the whole dining room.  Of note in the cabin, new sofa (grey instead of dark blue), new chair (medium blue instead of burgandy), and new drapes (medium blue instead of burgandy).  I really liked the changes.  We both thought everything looked great!  The cabin furniture in 1568 may not have been new, since we were not in this cabin last year.  But we loved the different look!

Does JS 1560 have a larger balcony?  The diagrams make it look like it maybe a little larger, but I can't find any pictures to confirm one way or another.

Thanks