Tipping with Phone Cards

Kurtp13

Back in the day I used to tip a little extra and hand out phone calling cards to the servers.   Sometimes I would give them out to bartenders or a favorite Johnny Rockets servers.    I assumed I could buy them in bulk cheaper than they could. And that would allow them to call home.  I remember getting this suggestion on another website

That was before the rise of intenet calling.  So I didn't think there was any value to them any more.   But someone brought them up on a Facebook cruise ship site.   Either I'm wrong or this person is behind the times.   Is there still any value to these cards?

In my discussion with crew many of them have cell phones now with international features.  The ship offers reduced rates on wifi and it's not unusual to see crew hanging out at spots with free wifi on their breaks in port.

It's easier for them in Europe because cell data plans are cheaper over there.  The problem with a calling card is access to a phone to make the calls with.  With very few pay phones around these days they'd need a cell phone to use the calling card but if they don't have a good international plan they can't use a cell phone to place toll free calls to the calling card numbers leaving them in search of wifi hotspots and using wifi based apps.  

It's a nice idea but I question the benefit in this day and age.