Opinions on Freedom OTS?

HtownHolly

Just now, HtownHolly said:

Kinda eyeballing it for a possible sailing from Puerto Rico to the eastern Caribbean. Is it up for any kind of refurb, or has that been done recently? Tell me about your cruise on it ?

I last sailed her about a year ago.  She was fine then. 

She's scheduled for the Royal Amplified program in 2020.  During that time it will receive new venues such as Playmakers and new activities such as water slides.

If you have your heart set on the latest new features she won't get them until 2020 however that doesn't mean she is run down or in need of care.

I sailed Independence the month before she went in for her most recent refresh and was pleasantly surprised how much she didn't look like she needed it.  She received new features like a Skypad and water slides but lately they aren't updating cabins at all so I'd expect the same with Freedom.  

If water slides are a must then I don't think anything home based out of San Juan offers that at the moment.  This blog has a group cruise on Freedom over the holidays in December 2019 and @Matt wouldn't plan that for a ship that wasn't capable of offering a great time even if it won't yet have the absolute latest and greatest.  

Group trip sounds awesome! Unfortunately we're already confirmed for Thanksgiving on Harmony, and are planning to ski somewhere over Christmas.

That said, I'm not sure who'd go with me out of PR yet - my 10YO wanted slides and more "kids activities" when we were on Navigator last month, so that would be one factor. I'm eyeing the itinerary more than the ship, but wouldn't travel alone, so it might impact who gets the invite :) (sister or family, lol)

Freedom was my first EC ship, sailed her just this past April and thought she was great. My teenage girls, not so much. ? I blame their refusal to go to the Day 1 teen meetup on that, because that left them with no one to hang out with on sea days.

My live blog of the trip is linked in my signature, if you’re interested. Lots of photos of the ship during the sea days and embarkation day.

5 hours ago, HtownHolly said:

There's a corner aft balcony that I'm really tempted to put a deposit down, for next June (my 50th) on a south/eastern Caribbean cruise.

Don't hesitate.... We've been on Freedom 3 times... Once with an aft balcony.  If I get a chance to do it again, I'd jump on it.  My profile pic is from the aft balcony on Freedom.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 6:23 PM, Deedeelynn said:

I love Freedom, one of my favorite ships! I was on her last April 2018, she looked great and love the crew! The food in the MDR was some of the best I’ve had, cheers to the chefs!

Our first cruise ever on Freedom in a few weeks. Excited to enjoy the MDR but.....we usually don’t do dress up or do formal at all when on vacation. Trying to not over pack and it is a huge delima trying to decide whether or not to bring anything other than shorts and T-shirt’s, which from what i understand will not work on the 2 formal nights in the MDR. Don’t want to miss out on the great food in the MDR, what to do??? What is the very least we can get away with on formal nights? Pants, capris no dresses? No tie? No collared shirt? Help!!

9 hours ago, Nay said:

Our first cruise ever on Freedom in a few weeks. Excited to enjoy the MDR but.....we usually don’t do dress up or do formal at all when on vacation. Trying to not over pack and it is a huge delima trying to decide whether or not to bring anything other than shorts and T-shirt’s, which from what i understand will not work on the 2 formal nights in the MDR. Don’t want to miss out on the great food in the MDR, what to do??? What is the very least we can get away with on formal nights? Pants, capris no dresses? No tie? No collared shirt? Help!!

Don't worry about "dressing up" because there is no real dress code any more. We still prefer to dress for "formal" night but there will be folks in the MDR wearing jeans and a tee-shirt.

At this point, I think the only real no-no on formal night is men in shorts.  I'm not sure they would turn you away even with shorts, but as long as men are wearing long pants I think it will be fine.  Women have a much easier time...nearly anything that is not considered "beachwear".  I have worn capris and flip flops and nobody says a word.