Costa Maya & Cozumel - Things to Do?

jgiardulli

Hi Everyone,

Taking our first ever cruise in March and we are travelling with our 7 year old son.  Don't know how adventurous I want to be in Mexico with the little man, but are there any close, safe beaches at or near these ports that don't require a long cab ride?  Looking for a relaxing beach with not too much activity with calm swimmable water to spend a nice relaxing day at.  Safety is my number one concern.  Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated.  I know a big part of cruising is getting off the ship and exploring but the Mrs. is hesitant to do too much with our son.  Is there anything to do (aside from shops and restaurants) at those particular ports?

Thanks again!

If you do a beach day in Cozumel you may want to consider just hanging at the port in Costa Maya.  They have a pool right there in the port area in the middle of all the shopping.  It's not necessarily relaxing with everyone shopping and walking through the port, but it's an easy way to stay safe and enjoy some pool time.  If you want to go to a beach in Costa Maya you need to get to Mahauhaul either by taking the tram ($4 per person) at the end of the port maze or a taxi (just outside the port gates).  The tram will take you to a street that parallels the boardwalk which has a lot of places that will offer you beach access for a moderate price.  Krazy Lobster is one of them.  They seem to be a favorite as I hear recommendations for them a lot.  I've only strolled the boardwalk, so never experienced it myself.

I second the Paradise Beach recommendation.  It's $3 per person entry and they ask that you spend $10 per person on food and drink while you are there.  There's a pool, changing facilities, restrooms and a beach.  When I went the water was pretty calm.

If you decide to go to Mahaual, you can get an hour massage on the beach for $20.  If you decide you want to try that, do NOT allow anyone else to "arrange" the massage for you; they will double the price and keep $20 for themselves !  Just walk up to one of the massage tables and negotiate your own price. They will tell you that the price is $40 or more; just tell them that you will only pay $20 and they will either accept it or you can pay what they are demanding.  At almost any price, it is worth it.  We ALWAYS get a massage on the beach in Costa Maya.  I always give them a good tip, especially if it only costs me $20 for the massage !

Hi JGuirduli, our first cruise as well, HOTS in June. The little bit of research I have done(trip advisor)it seems that this port  Puerto Costa Maya Mexico  is a very large cruise port where the main issue is the “maze” to to find an exit, to get out to meet an excursion or just leave the port area. I found an excellent map that shows the pier/exits/beach/restrooms/showers at www.cruisemapper.com/ports/costa-maya-port . Sorry I am not very good with computers & can’t hotlink