Cancellation Beating

Janyth

Boy oh boy, did I take a beating on my cancellation!  I paid my deposit, made the full payment on date required, had to cancel 10 days later and it cost me almost $1000.!  Wow!  RC made out while I took a beating.  Pretty great on their part, not so much on my “fixed” income.  Shameful.

Family member recently diagnosed but that made no difference.  

I did not take out trip insurance as there was not plan on anyone getting sick.

I hope these people can sleep at night with the knowledge they take advantage of people.  Plain shameful to charge that much!

After being admitted into A&E on Christmas eve we decided to try and change our cruise to a no fly. 

Disappointing that the cruise from UK was a promotion cruise.

It cost us  a thousand pounds more as there were two choices.

A all inclusive which we didn't need being top tier members.

B book and not know our cabin. This was cheaper but as I can get motion sickness I like middle to back room. Also we wouldn't want to be in a room which was situated where we would get noise from bars etc.

We were still covered by our 12 months insurance and had not yet paid the balance.

It just cost us £150.00 for the change over.

I always worry about someone outside of the allowed circle of covered people in the travel insurance getting sick.   My father in-law was very sick just before my final payment and we decided to cancel just in case.  Obviously we wanted to spend time with him and we are a 10 hour drive from our former hometown.   He passed before the cruise would have occurred.  But I don't think I would have been covered if we cancelled and he was still 'just' sick.   We would have elected to stay back and cancel just to be on the safe side.    We made the right decision and ended up rescheduling a few months after things had settled down.    So not everything going to work out depending on the coverage.    Cancel for any reason is quite expensive in comparison so I still have not used that option.   I'll stick with fully refundable fares and assess the situation before making final payment, then buying insurance.  My primary goal with the insurance is medical and fly out coverage.  

1 hour ago, Janyth said:

That has got to be the most hilarious thing I have read today.  As if people buy insurance planning on using it.

"Gee, I didn't buy life insurance because I didn't plan on dying soon."

"Gee, I didn't get car insurance because I didn't plan on crashing it."

"Gee, I didn't get homeowner insurance because I didn't plan on that tornado hitting."

I love how people think that their excuse should exclude them from the rules and how horribly shameful it is that they are treated exactly like everyone else.  To the point of joining a forum just to complain.  Nope, family member being diagnosed does NOT make a difference.  Nope, your fixed income does NOT make a difference.  This is a sad situation, but one that was preventable.  Your failure to prevent the financial loss is nobody's fault but your own.

Best of luck to your family member, I do sincerely hope for a happy outcome there.

Maybe you should have searched for other posts like this first.  I have a feeling you are not going to be happy with the responses and will take another "beating".  Insurance is for the unexpected.  The fact that you didn't expect something to happen is exactly why you purchase insurance, not an excuse for not purchasing it.   But there is a better way of looking at it.  Simply add up how much you have saved by not purchasing insurance on things where it turned out you didn't need it, that probably offsets this one loss, so you actually saved money in the long term.

I'm sorry a family member got sick but didn't you read what you purchased?  With respect it's not shameful.  

I had to walk away from a cruise when my daughter graduated from the military.  I got zero back after paying in full.  I had zero expectations that they would bend the rules for me.  I knew the cancellation policy so when it applied it wasn't a surprise or shameful.

If I book a non-refundable plane ticket I don't expect the airlines to refund me if I don't need to fly anymore.  

If you buy a brand new car and wreck it on the first day you still have to pay for it.  That's the way contracts and life works.  

It's not easy to sell cruise cabins with just a few months to go before sailing.  Most people make bookings many months or years in advance.  They'll likely lose money now that they'll have to drop the price hoping to find someone who can sail in your cabin.  Why should they lose money when you back out of the contract?  

I might be a minority here that feel sympathy for his/her family. So sorry for what happen to you. However, RCI is a company so RCI only does what is best for Company benefit and has rules. The person you contacted is working for RCI, he/she will have to do for what they had been told. I know you feel upset at this moment but this a part of life. Hope things get better for you. 

3 hours ago, Susie said:

I might be a minority here that feel sympathy for his/her family.

Susie, after reading all of the comments I don't think you're in a minority on this at all. Every comment I read included a statement of sympathy for this poster's family member, and that's a sentiment I share. Having someone become sick out of the blue in a way that's serious enough to require cancellation of any kind of vacation or other plans is always a horrible event.

But...

The poster also made a point of making a claim that Royal's behavior in this case is shameful and that they're taking advantage of her. And here also, I agree with the general sentiment expressed. Cruises in general are a big expense, and one that typically has to be purchased a year or more in advance. No one plans on anything bad happening in that year, let alone the 3 months after final payment, but the universe doesn't care -- Bad things still happen anyway, and completely at random. It's one thing to take a gamble like that for a week or two; the odds are very much in your favor. But carry that out to three months or longer, and while the odds are still in your favor, they do get worse and worse as the time increases. To not purchase travel insurance on every single cruise is, to my thinking, rolling the dice in way that you have to be ready to pay for.

To @Janyth -- I too am sorry for your family member and whatever diagnosis they received. And I am sorry that you had to pay a financial price for having to cancel after final payment. But I am not going to blame Royal for shabby treatment when this is spelled out clearly as the price you'll have to pay for canceling at the last minute without insurance to cover this possibility.

21 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

The poster also made a point of making a claim that Royal's behavior in this case is shameful and that they're taking advantage of her.

I think she feels really bad from a family member had been diagnosed and now she lost money on a vacation that planning to go. Sometimes, people said something that they should not say when they are in a bad place. I am sure she will get over with it after time goes by. I definitely do not blame Royal for this because Royal is business as I stated in my original post. I just think that he/she got enough bad news.

5 hours ago, twangster said:

If I book a non-refundable plane ticket I don't expect the airlines to refund me if I don't need to fly anymore. 

But in the case of a plane ticket, you can still use it (with a standard change fee and any increase in the fare) up to 364 days later. Not true with a cruise.

Just now, HeWhoWaits said:

But in the case of a plane ticket, you can still use it (with a standard change fee and any increase in the fare) up to 364 days later. Not true with a cruise.

That depends with the airline.  The point remains valid,  Accepting restrictions then expecting them not to apply.

Here's the thing - it's unfortunate a loved one was diagnosed with something.  That's something no one wants. 

Years ago when everyone was honest and could be trusted companies could bend rules for such circumstances.  In our modern age, if any company did so it would quickly spread on social media all you have to do to beat the system is fake a diagnosis or claim family member has XYZ to break the contract.  The issue isn't a company who stands by the contract, the issue is the masses that try to scam and take advantage of them.  Blame our society.  An unfortunate sign of the times.  

Sorry for the unfortunate circumstances,  these type of situations are really tough to get through from all aspects.   It's unfortunate in your financial loss.   Given you just created this account right before you made this first post, its obviously clear that you are frustrated and intended to express that in some way.   Please don't take this the wrong way but given these details, i'm wondering if you think this blog is directly affiliated with Royal Caribbean, which it's not.   If your intent was to blow off steam, this is certainly the place to do it.  However, if your intent was to bring light to your frustration directly with Royal, I would recommend directing your comments to mbayley@rccl.com CEO of the company's office.   Just know that with the specific rules and stipulations in place as many have mentioned, I wouldn't expect much more than an apology at best.    Still, it never hurts to go straight to the top, you never know.    All the best for your family member. 

It truly stinks when a family member becomes ill and you have to cancel a trip.  And my heart goes out to you that you had to go through this. 

However, I have been through an a insurance nightmare.  Speaking as someone who didn't expect her daughter to get sick, whose insurance didn't cover her mental illness, who had to pay the entire trip anyway and fly home, I Still don't blame the insurance company or the cruise company and would still buy insurance next time.  Life happens.  I assumed nobody would get sick and still bought the insurance!  These companies are businesses and they have to operate as such.   

I have to have a negative comment here.  Has anyone noticed that these types of rant posts are usually done by someone who has 0 posts and who never comes back?  Are they legit?  Again, sympathy to the poster if it's truly an accurate post and hope you buy insurance next time.  It makes a difference most of the time.  Also remember refundable deposits, cancel at any cost insurance, and be glad you at least got some money back.  Jane

57 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

have to have a negative comment here.  Has anyone noticed that these types of rant posts are usually done by someone who has 0 posts and who never comes back?  Are they legit?  

that was sort of my feeling as well.   I used to see it all the time over on that other site.   gives the perception of trying to stir the pot rather than being a legit concern.   or simply someone like myself.  I can tend to fly off the handle at times and vent when i should really take a step back,  relax and gather my thoughts and then make a post.   I'm my own worst enemy most of the time lol

9 hours ago, Todd W said:

that was sort of my feeling as well.   I used to see it all the time over on that other site.   gives the perception of trying to stir the pot rather than being a legit concern.   or simply someone like myself.  I can tend to fly off the handle at times and vent when i should really take a step back,  relax and gather my thoughts and then make a post.   I'm my own worst enemy most of the time lol

Yeah, but it isn’t your first post ever!  I guess if someone comes back a few times I might give the benefit of the doubt.  I totally know that feeling when your typing gets ahead of your brain lol!  Jane

On 1/19/2019 at 11:14 AM, Janyth said:

Boy oh boy, did I take a beating on my cancellation!  I paid my deposit, made the full payment on date required, had to cancel 10 days later and it cost me almost $1000.!  Wow!  RC made out while I took a beating.  Pretty great on their part, not so much on my “fixed” income.  Shameful.

Family member recently diagnosed but that made no difference.  

I hope these people can sleep at night with the knowledge they take advantage of people.  Plain shameful to charge that much!

I understand your frustration, but it isn't shameful. We all reap the consequences of our decisions. Try not to blame others for your conscious decisions. Smile and have  a Great Day.

Here's an idea...maybe it's crazy, and I am not sure about Royal's policy, and if there is a travel agent involved who could help...but the first thing I would try to do in this instance is limit my losses by offering my sailing to someone on this or another forum for a small finders fee, such as $0.50 on the dollar. Maybe it's transferable...not sure about that, but it's an idea.

I resonate with the risk of not taking out trip insurance for an unfortunate circumstance, and definitely don't see Royal as being at fault. They had a passenger pull out after final payment date without a guarantee that they can sell the inventory in time for the sailing. Contracts are contracts.

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of on topic- Is there way during Royal's ever-shifting sales, to check what the refundable v nonrefundable price is.  we just put a refundable deposit down for a Jan '20 Harmony cruise while onboard symphony last week, but I'm wondering how long you have to change it over to a NRD and get the lower price? Can you do it after final payment is made?  we typically pay off our cruise over the next 6-8 months, so that we're fully paid by around July-Aug.  every time I see a sale, I can only bring up the nonrefundable price. 

The only way I've found to check the refundable price is mock book the cruise, i.e. enter passenger info and then hit next.  On that page there is a checkbox that allows you to select a refundable fare.  It is quite annoying to have to go through this exercise to see the refundable fare.  Another good reason to use a good travel agent. 

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

I'm wondering how long you have to change it over to a NRD and get the lower price? Can you do it after final payment is made?  we typically pay off our cruise over the next 6-8 months, so that we're fully paid by around July-Aug.  every time I see a sale, I can only bring up the nonrefundable price. 

You can change to NRD right up until the day before final payment. Once final payment date hits, you can't change or do any further repricing, although you can request to change to a higher category of room if you find a big price drop after that point.

And as already noted in the prior comment, right now the only way to view the refundable deposit rate is to go most of the way through a mock booking, until you get past the screen asking for each passenger's information, and then check the checkbox for refundable rate. Bit of a pain, especially if you want to check a couple of categories for possible price drops, but the only option available at the moment.

Why don't they charge less to cancel/change...as we all KNOW they are going to still sell that cabin....come on.

But this way they are making the full fare AND still selling the cabin.....comparing it to the airline industry isn't exactly what cruise companies want to be compared to I wouldn't think...as they aren't well liked on most days and most ppl don't enjoy flying.....I don't think that's what cruise companies want to strive to be similar to.

I get the insurance part(its the industry I work in) but I feel like these type of things leave a bad taste in ppl's mouths about a company and the cruise industry in general.

The actions taken are not troll-like to me.  The OP logged in a few hours after posting and saw many of the responses.  Most likely they were hoping to see a mob ready to take it to Royal over this situation.  When they saw the pitchforks pointed in a much different direction there were 3 options to make: 1, admit emotions were (understandably) at play and maybe they were not entirely right in their assessment of the situation, 2, double down and start arguing, or 3, disappear.

Trolls would pick #2 and keep the fun going.  Most people pick #3.  Then the thread dies, unless someone decides to dredge it up.  Why anybody would want their question attached to this kind of topic instead of just starting their own is beyond me.

On 2/4/2019 at 9:17 PM, JLMoran said:

You can change to NRD right up until the day before final payment. Once final payment date hits, you can't change or do any further repricing, although you can request to change to a higher category of room if you find a big price drop after that point.

And as already noted in the prior comment, right now the only way to view the refundable deposit rate is to go most of the way through a mock booking, until you get past the screen asking for each passenger's information, and then check the checkbox for refundable rate. Bit of a pain, especially if you want to check a couple of categories for possible price drops, but the only option available at the moment.

Thanks! I do have a good cruise TA (this will be our 4th booked through him), who's been helpful, but sometimes its a day or so before he gets back with me, so I figured I'd get quicker responses this way.