Are night clubs a thing of the past?

They would rather use the space for a specialty restaurant that can accommodate families which will generate more revenue.   

On some ships, they use Studio B (ice rink) as a night club on certain nights.  I have also seen the Solarium Bar on Oasis class ships become night clubs after 10pm.  Ship design has been leaning towards multi-purpose rooms.   

7 hours ago, DisneyWorld30th said:

I have noticed more and more ships are removing their nightclubs. Some of the ships had 2 story nightclubs. 

Anyone know why?

Its a matter of demand I guess , I was three times on ships that had the night club , most of the times it was quite empty, maybe it was due to number of ports to visit during the cruise or something else. But on every ship you have one or two places that will have a DJ , life music and a place to dance so its OK.

6 hours ago, jurrjurr said:

Ship design has been leaning towards multi-purpose rooms.   

Definitely agree.  There are so many areas on the boat that have so much down time.  I was on Independence last year right before its overhaul; passed through the labyrinth nightclub a bunch of times, and never once saw it in use.  It was replaced during the drydock with cabins on the lower deck and Izumi above.  Two decks' worth of wasted space that's now actually generating a little bit of revenue.  What little bit it was used for could easily be accommodated in studio b or even boleros

Seems to me RC is aiming directly at the “family” market. Splashaway Bay, bumper cars, mini golf, water slides, etc. The nightclub crowd is a totally different demographic. Certainly not an absolute, but judging by the comments here it’s apparent their numbers are decreasing. Heck, just think of cruise ship demographics overall. Isn’t the largest percentage group 50+ ?  That’s me. And I’m not going to any nightclubs any time soon. Heck, I’m not even awake at that time any more ?

$$$ is  always the answer.

I am very disappointed to see this happening. My only experience on a ship with a 2 level club(Indy) was amazing....there was a line up most nights..place was packed with people older and younger than me......

I know often on the older ships anyways used the Crown & Anchor lounge as the night club at night..... I have not been on Oasis or Quantum class yet to compare.

They don't need a space I guess that is just used as a "nightclub" .....one of the most fun nights ever was on Celebrity with the silent disco....and that wasn't a "young" crowd per se...

The only thing about using different spaces on different evenings for a "nightclub" is that its confusing and leads to less people looking for it or showing up a 2nd night.

I'll den be curious to see what its like on Harmony...with 5400 guests or so..there must be at least 50 or so that would enjoy a nightclub atmosphere with me.

The reality is night clubs were useful for a few hours each night and otherwise remained unused space for a majority of the day.  Removing them allows RC to offer more for guests to do, while still offering a night club experience in another venue.

It's not uncommon on ships with a public 'Viking Crown Lounge" for that area to be the night club or silent disco venue with something going on most nights.  

Harmony and Symphony have "The Attic" that is multi-use and usually functions as dance club/night club by night.  They also feature the "RED" party in Studio B on one night.  

I totally get why they stripped the dedicated night clubs out.  Ship real estate is valuable and that was wasted space most hours of the day.  

22 hours ago, Matt said:

The reality is night clubs were useful for a few hours each night and otherwise remained unused space for a majority of the day.  Removing them allows RC to offer more for guests to do, while still offering a night club experience in another venue.

This makes sense,, which leads to another perplexing question. Vintages ?  Seriously ??

Im not a wine guy, but my impression of wine people is that wine is best enjoyed with a meal. Not at a bar. I just can’t imagine what RC’s end game is with that space, which is perpetually empty. ?

45 minutes ago, Michael Vitale said:

This makes sense,, which leads to another perplexing question. Vintages ?  Seriously ??

Im not a wine guy, but my impression of wine people is that wine is best enjoyed with a meal. Not at a bar. I just can’t imagine what RC’s end game is with that space, which is perpetually empty. ?

I've pondered the same quandary myself.  I can only assume there's a role it serves beyond being a bar. Perhaps as a wine cellar of sorts for the rest of the ship.

5 hours ago, Michael Vitale said:

Funny you mention this. Someone recently posted that they saw an offering akin to Chef's Table, but held in Vintages. Can't remember who or what ship, or even what to search for to find it. I think it was four courses instead of the five offered at CT, but otherwise the same concept of a meal focused on wine pairings.

So maybe Royal is trying to find new uses for the space, rather than scrapping it like they've done on some of the newer ships.

And I may be an outlier, but I actually like sipping a glass of wine while sitting and chatting with friends or family. Do that all the time at holiday gatherings and such. If my wife drank wine, or I was cruising with friends or family who do, I could see being there a lot in the evenings. Especially if they added some live music of a quieter nature so we could have conversations without shouting. (I'm looking at you, Schooner Bar on Anthem!! Why do you have a piano and its singer's mic amped as loudly as a lead electric guitar?!?)

36 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Funny you mention this. Someone recently posted that they saw an offering akin to Chef's Table, but held in Vintages. Can't remember who or what ship, or even what to search for to find it. I think it was four courses instead of the five offered at CT, but otherwise the same concept of a meal focused on wine pairings.

This probably isn't what you are referring to, but this is on my Cruise Planner for a sailing on Allure and it would shock me if this wasn't held in Vintages. 

Cruise Planner   Entertainment   Activities.png

Just now, BTE said:

I need to check if that is in my cruise planner as my wife would probably like to do that

If it's not, consider springing for Chef's Table. Still does wine pairings as a focus of the meal, and the wines are all good quality selections from Vintages. Higher price for that meal than that other option I mentioned, but such a good meal and experience!