Radiance OTS Alaska Cruise???

rjac

Cheapest.  

I always get a kick out of people who are convinced one side is better.  99% of the time you have land on both sides.  For a few hours before entering the inside passage land might be more visible on port but more marine life might be visible on starboard.  

I did a suite with large balcony once Southbound  Hardly used it - too cold.  Having done interior cabins twice in Alaska I’d rather splurge on excursions which are expensive in Alaska rather than on a balcony or a bigger balcony.  Hint - sitting on an excursion I was lifted up higher compared to the guy with a balcony next to me because my wallet was fatter .

Helicopter to a glacier I’ll never forget.  I can barely remember using my balcony.  Consider a location close to stairwells so you have quick access to outer decks on either side of the ship.

Where ever you are, go to the outer decks outside to see both sides   You never know what side a whale might appear on, or what side has a better view at any given moment   Staying in your cabin is a terrible idea because you miss half of it especially at a glacier.

Most of the time you will be in channels with land on both sides so ship motion isn’t a big thing.  You can encounter some waves during the open ocean sprint into the inside passage for a few hours. Or you might have no motion.   If you or your SO is sensitive to motion and the thought of being anywhere but midship is a source of stress, stay midship but the potential for motion is greater in the Caribbean.

Twangster hits it out of the park with advice here. Go cheapest for Alaska and use the money for excursions. Done two Alaska cruises, one with balcony and another inside. Seldom used the balcony. Spent most of the time on upper decks with my binoculars and camera taking in the sights. Go upper midship near stairs if possible. Just to add, we always tried to go up early for a nice breakfast spot. Saw so much wildlife and scenery while eating, Also the Radiance class ships have a nice solarium view, so we did the Solarium's Park Café for breakfast and lunch many times. 

We did this itinerary and had two suites with large balconies on each side of the ship (same floor).  We did spend time on them during the glacier day and when pulling into port.  They rotate the ship 360 degrees so all sides of the ship do get to see everything.  We had fun running from side to side to see things but we missed any commentary as it wasn't easily heard on our balcony. 

We were super bundled up as the glacier day was the coldest day we had (end of May/beginning of June).  Temps were high 60s for the rest of our trip but it was probably 40 or so at the glacier.  Felt like it at least to this native Floridian.

My opinion if you're deadset on a balcony go with the cheapest of the ones you are looking at.

I'm a cheapo, so if I was paying I'd go for bottom of the barrel inside.  Fortunately, I have family that likes to bribe me to spend time with them ?

7 hours ago, twangster said:

I always get a kick out of people who are convinced one side is better.  99% of the time you have land on both sides.  For a few hours before entering the inside passage land might be more visible on port but more marine life might be visible on starboard.  

This. Which side of the ship is totally irrelevant 

I also vote for "slumming it" and getting an inside cabin, then using the savings to boost your excursion budget. Especially on a ship like Radiance, where you have views outside from all over the place without having to actually go outside. Just position yourself someplace comfortable with a view and easy access to a door going outside (and maybe easy access to a beverage or two), so when you hear the calls of "whale!" or just "Oh wow! Look at that!" you can quickly get to where the commotion is.

Sorry, but have to disagree.....

I did Radiance southbound in June and we used the balcony a lot! I'm a birdwatcher and was out there looking for sea birds (whales, sea lions, dolphins were seen as well!). The view from our port side balcony as we sailed south from Hubbard was incredible. Waterfalls, additional glaciers, snow capped mountain peaks above the clouds, etc. I have no idea what was on the starboard side. From advice here we asked for additional blankets when we met our cabin steward and used them to sit on the balcony.

In Juneau the "air show" was awesome after we got back from excursions. We sat and relaxed on the balcony as seaplanes took off and landed next to the ship.

I guess you could always sit in the Windjammer or other enclosed spots if you don't think you can handle the chill. We preferred the balcony and would pay the extra again...

BUT - if the choice is balcony or excursions, then excursions wins. If you can afford to do both - DO IT!

On 1/15/2019 at 11:46 AM, KJ1231 said:

Sorry, but have to disagree.....

I did Radiance southbound in June and we used the balcony a lot! I'm a birdwatcher and was out there looking for sea birds (whales, sea lions, dolphins were seen as well!). The view from our port side balcony as we sailed south from Hubbard was incredible. Waterfalls, additional glaciers, snow capped mountain peaks above the clouds, etc. I have no idea what was on the starboard side. From advice here we asked for additional blankets when we met our cabin steward and used them to sit on the balcony.

In Juneau the "air show" was awesome after we got back from excursions. We sat and relaxed on the balcony as seaplanes took off and landed next to the ship.

I guess you could always sit in the Windjammer or other enclosed spots if you don't think you can handle the chill. We preferred the balcony and would pay the extra again...

BUT - if the choice is balcony or excursions, then excursions wins. If you can afford to do both - DO IT!

We did the Northbound in July with a balcony and I was out there every chance I got.  Also, having land on both sides for most of the trip, we have our normal AT&T cell service (actually it was better cell reception than home)!  Only one time did we have to put our phones into airplane mode and use WiFi calling (if needed). 

The way I look at it, Alaska views are why we went in the first place so then a balcony was just part of the trip.  We used FaceTime to show our Grands the view from our balcony many times throughout our cruise.