Mamma Mia! appropriate for kids or not?

@Traveler I was reading through old trip blogs and saw where you said Mamma Mia! might not be appropriate for kids.  I'll be on Allure in a couple months with my 16 & 11 yo kids and we plan on seeing this show.  I know it's a long one (2+ hours)....is that why you don't recommend it for kids?  Or is the content more on the PG-13 or R rating side of things?  

My older child shouldn't be too shocked by anything in the show (it can't be any worse than Grand Theft Auto that he plays at his friend's house), but my younger one is a little more sensitive to language and adult themes.  However, she would probably love the music and dancing even if she doesn't understand the story line.

If anyone else has opinions on this show for kids, please let me know.  Just wanting to plan ahead in case we decide not to have them attend, or just need a discussion with them before or after. 

thank you!!

It's been a bit since I've seen this show on Broadway, but I recall it not being too far off from the movie. Common sense Media says the movie is 13+ and parents on average would say it's 11+. IMO it is definitely appropriate for a 16 year old and maybe for an 11 y/o. It depends on your child. The iffy parts are passing references to sex but it's not like there's ever a sex SCENE or anything. 

To be honest, I think the storyline of Mama Mia ! is the stupidest thing ever.  I can't imagine anything being offensive unless you feel that your child (this is a generic "you" not being directed at anyone) will be emotionally scarred by the idea of a child being raised by a single mother.  There are no obscenities that I can recall and no nudity or direct sexual references.  I wouldn't worry about it, truly.

5 hours ago, Brobbins246 said:

(it can't be any worse than Grand Theft Auto that he plays at his friend's house)

You'd be pretty hard pressed to find anything worse than Grand Theft Auto

Our oldest(10 at the time) watched Mama mia with us and we just talked to her afterwards about how the family values of the play don't reflect ours. And boy is the story of Mama Mia stupid. That said, we still really enjoyed the play because the singers and actors did an awesome job. I won't take my younger children mainly because they will be annoying the whole show. 

As innocent a play as you will find (any sexuality is such a caricature that your child is likely to miss the reference ?). I do remember asking my father on a trip to NY when I was about 10 why I couldn’t go with him to see No No Nannette _ just made me want to see it more that I couldn’t! I haven’t seen it yet!

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

To be honest, I think the storyline of Mama Mia ! is the stupidest thing ever.  I can't imagine anything being offensive unless you feel that your child (this is a generic "you" not being directed at anyone) will be emotionally scarred by the idea of a child being raised by a single mother.  There are no obscenities that I can recall and no nudity or direct sexual references.  I wouldn't worry about it, truly.

HA! I saw the topic and was going to put in a @WAAAYTOOO to ask you to comment on Mama Mia...you beat me to it!! ??

17 hours ago, Brobbins246 said:

@Traveler I was reading through old trip blogs and saw where you said Mamma Mia! might not be appropriate for kids.  I'll be on Allure in a couple months with my 16 & 11 yo kids and we plan on seeing this show.  I know it's a long one (2+ hours)....is that why you don't recommend it for kids?  Or is the content more on the PG-13 or R rating side of things?  

My older child shouldn't be too shocked by anything in the show (it can't be any worse than Grand Theft Auto that he plays at his friend's house), but my younger one is a little more sensitive to language and adult themes.  However, she would probably love the music and dancing even if she doesn't understand the story line.

If anyone else has opinions on this show for kids, please let me know.  Just wanting to plan ahead in case we decide not to have them attend, or just need a discussion with them before or after. 

thank you!!

Well I guess it depends on the kids ?

When I was written it I was mainly thinking about the language and some of the scenes not for the story line or what it come to represent. There is not any nudity there and after all the main things here are the songs.

I will say , if , for example you feel comfortable to watch a chapter of "The Big Bang Theory" (mostly PG rated)  with your kids  you should not have a problem to watch it as I found  Mama Mia even to be less explicit. 

Anyway , its a excellent show with very good ensemble. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 11:57 AM, Brobbins246 said:

I'll be on Allure in a couple months with my 16 & 11 yo kids and we plan on seeing this show.  I know it's a long one (2+ hours)....is that why you don't recommend it for kids?  Or is the content more on the PG-13 or R rating side of things?   

I just got off Allure the week before last and I thought this production group is the best I have seen (3rd time on Allure) I might be biased because I was cruising Star Class and had front row seats. One of the mail leads doesn't look like Pierce Brosnan but I thought he sounded just like him. I took the back stage tour and I guess this is this particular actors 2nd tour and he played a different male lead last time.

With that said, I agree with everyone else, sexual innuendos throughout but should be plenty safe for the 16 and 11YO.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two boys, 7 and 9 at the time, and we let them watch it without any concern at all. I agree with all the other posters that stated the 3 father reference is so subtle it would likely just go over their heads anyway. They were both simply amazed by the live performance and the music and dancing and didn't seem to mind that it went 2 hours.