VOOM Question

Lori B

I'm still really confused about internet access on board.  My cabin mate and I have purchased The Key so VOOM has been included.  I had also read about putting the phone on airplane mode to avoid roaming charges.  We both have elderly parents back home (traveling from Ohio to Port Canaveral) and want to be able to stay in contact back home.  So now that we both have VOOM does that mean I can/should just leave my phone as is for the duration of the trip while I'm on board? I've already downloaded the RC App on my phone.  My cabin mate and I will be in different activities while on board and it would be nice to be able to text each other to arrange meet-ups/keep in touch for when activities begin/end.  When we are doing shore excursions (Labadee, Falmouth, and Cozumel), is that when I should put my phone into airplane mode? Any info/advice/clarifications would be GREATLY appreciated!  

No, 

33 minutes ago, Lori B said:

So now that we both have VOOM does that mean I can/should just leave my phone as is for the duration of the trip while I'm on board?

No, unless you have an international plan on your cell you should place your phone in airplane mode.  VOOM is a WIFI service not cellular and airplane mode shuts off your cellular service so you don't receive roaming charges.  You can communicate with your parents using a messenger service like whatsapp if they have a device with the app installed.  Whatsapp allows you to text, call and video chat with others, I hope this helps.

Thank you so much for that information!  My dad doesn't have anything like that--just a simple land line.  I'm thinking this means I'll need to check with my provider to see about using my phone once I'm on land (Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel) to check in back in Ohio and then put the phone back in airplane mode when I board the ship.

Some cellular carriers have an international plan where they charge you $10 a day to use your phone outside the US.   You use the minutes and data on your existing plan but it may not be offered everywhere.  Call your carrier and ask them what international plans they offer that cover the ports you will be visiting.

Here's what you want to to do to ensure you can use your Voom internet without coming home to a monster bill:

1. Put phone into airplane mode
  2. Enable WiFi (sometimes airplane mode turns off wifi too, but it's safe to turn just wifi back on while rest of phone remains in airplane mode)
  3. Sign onto Royal Caribbean's WiFi network

On 1/13/2019 at 2:28 PM, melski94 said:

Also see if your phone allows WiFi calling. Some carriers/phones allow it.  It would be in your settings under carrier.  You can try it at home first to see if it works by putting your phone in airplane mode. 

We put our phones in airplane mode and used the WiFi calling feature to make calls home.  Make sure you have that.  I tried it on our WiFi at home before we left to make sure that it worked.  I have an iPhone if that makes any difference as I am not sure about the others.

45 minutes ago, fedcop2 said:

Use an app called OneSuite that uses the wifi.  You have to pay a small fee for the amount of time you want but it uses the wifi while in airplane mode.

For non-geeks, their app is a good, simple way to connect .

I also use OneSuite for international calls from the US.  Their rates using local dialup are great and for phone nerds (raises hand) they provide VOIP credentials for services like Zoiper.

What agency are you with?

Brad

USPIS (Ret).