Alaska cruise options

KJ1231

So after telling me a few weeks ago, "No more cruises!" my DL now says she wants to go back to Alaska in 2020. BUT, she doesn't want to Radiance again AND wants to see more ports, i.e. some other ports besides or in addition to Skagway and Ketchican. She does want to go back to Juneau and Icy Strait Pointe. 

I know many of you are like me and create spreadsheets for everything! I'm wondering if anyone has created one comparing Alaska cruises with ports and costs, including other lines besides RCCL? If not, I'll start working on one and share if people are interested. We would deviate from RCCL based solely on itinerary.....  

It seems as if Royal is repeating the itineraries they’ve done for the past few years (one-ways and a round trip from Seattle). However, as per other cruise lines, carnival offers a round trip from Seattle and a round trip from San Francisco. (Which may be more appealing depending on your location). 

An example San Francisco itinerary is as follows: (10nights)

• Juneau, Alaska 
  •  Skagway, Alaska 
  •  Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), Alaska 
  •  Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 
  • Victoria, British Columbia

let me know what you think!

6 hours ago, bigpete said:

let me know what you think! 

Will check it out. HAL has a 14-night r/t from Vancouver with Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm (cruising), Haines, Icy Strait, Inian Islands, Sea Day, Anchorage, Homer, Valdez, Hubbard, Juneau, Misty Fiords, Inside Passage.

3 hours ago, KJ1231 said:

Will check it out. HAL has a 14-night r/t from Vancouver with Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm (cruising), Haines, Icy Strait, Inian Islands, Sea Day, Anchorage, Homer, Valdez, Hubbard, Juneau, Misty Fiords, Inside Passage.

I have to say, HAL does seem to get amazing itineraries in those "bucket list" areas. Their options in the Norway / Scandinavia / Iceland arena are pretty much unbeatable from what I've seen, and your post makes it clear they don't skimp on the Alaskan options either. But, they definitely carry a premium price tag to go with that more premium experience. @monorailmedic sailed HAL not too long ago and enjoyed them quite a bit (see the live blog), you can read and see an example of what it's like to sail them.

On 1/15/2019 at 7:53 AM, AshleyDillo said:

Maybe consider a cruisetour that combines a cruise and a land tour?  There's a lot of interior Alaska to see!  The glass dome train and Denali National Park was one of my favorite parts of the trip when we went.

We have never done Alaska and my husband wants to see Denali when we go, looking at 2020. My question, is which port do we need to make sure is on the cruise in order to go to Denali?

8 minutes ago, Nay said:

We have never done Alaska and my husband wants to see Denali when we go, looking at 2020. My question, is which port do we need to make sure is on the cruise in order to go to Denali?

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/?dates_maxDate=09%2F30%2F2020&dates_minDate=05%2F01%2F2020&destinationRegionCode_ALCAN=true&durationCode_12plus=true&durationCode_9to11=true&icid=hpnvbr_pagehe_fnd_hm_awaren_938

19 hours ago, Nay said:

As @mworkman linked for you, you see that Denali is a land tour stop.  You definitely have to take the land tour to see Denali.  There are so many different options for Alaska and it really depends on how much time you have.  We did the combo cruise/land tour through Royal (13 nights) and now we have a good idea of what we would go back and see.  We got to spend most of a day in Denali on a bus tour (included), but still didn't make it completely through the entire park.  Alaska is just SO big!