Teens on ship?

mom2mybugs

I have to say that I spent a ton of time looking at podcasts and pics of celebrity edge.  I know celebrity skews older...does anyone have a sense of the teen options available and if it makes sense to bring a 16/17 year old on board?  She has always found a few teens even on the smaller rc ships but I’m wondering if we should bring her or wait.  Jane

In my case my teens (they are older now) varied.  One was mature for her age and more inclined to fit in with a more refined crowd, reveling in the modern luxury over the need for a pack of teens to bond with.  

There will likely be some other teens just not the numbers typically found on RCI.  You know your teen best, as I know mine, or as well as I thought I could know them at the time.  Mine wasn't one to bond into a teen group on any cruise.  

When faced with this question it dawned on me I was the one paying for it, so I approached her, explained the differences and suggested I could find someone to watch her or she could come with me knowing it would tend to run an older, more refined crowd.  She accepted that and decided she wanted to cruise.  I was after all paying for it so while I took her position into account, it weighed less than my own feelings and why I chose Celebrity on that occasion.   

By establishing her expectations it mitigated the concerns, at least to a large degree.  

29 minutes ago, twangster said:

In my case my teens (they are older now) varied.  One was mature for her age and more inclined to fit in with a more refined crowd, reveling in the modern luxury over the need for a pack of teens to bond with.  

There will likely be some other teens just not the numbers typically found on RCI.  You know your teen best, as I know mine, or as well as I thought I could know them at the time.  Mine wasn't one to bond into a teen group on any cruise.  

When faced with this question it dawned on me I was the one paying for it, so I approached her, explained the differences and suggested I could find someone to watch her or she could come with me knowing it would tend to run an older, more refined crowd.  She accepted that and decided she wanted to cruise.  I was after all paying for it so while I took her position into account, it weighed less than my own feelings and why I chose Celebrity on that occasion.   

By establishing her expectations is mitigated the concerns, at least to a large degree.  

You are totally right...teens do totally differ!  We didn’t start cruising until my kids were  18, 16 and 13.  I wish I had cruised earlier...my oldest was totally pack mentality and would have done well on any cruise.  Middle one not so much.  The 3rd (15) will have to travel with us no matter what and it truly didn’t dawn on me to simply ask her opinion.  When we go on vision this summer  (med/Greek) she is expecting not many teens and is ok.  I totally didn’t make the leap to present the same as a done for celebrity!   Thanks for helping me clarify!  Jane

5 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

You are totally right...teens do totally differ!  We didn’t start cruising until my kids were  18, 16 and 13.  I wish I had cruised earlier...my oldest was totally pack mentality and would have done well on any cruise.  Middle one not so much.  The 3rd (15) will have to travel with us no matter what and it truly didn’t dawn on me to simply ask her opinion.  When we go on vision this summer  (med/Greek) she is expecting not many teens and is ok.  I totally didn’t make the leap to present the same as a done for celebrity!   Thanks for helping me clarify!  Jane

She is going to love Europe. She will be meeting history in person. I have meet a lot of teens and they couldn't wait to take pictures back to their history teachers. I will be taking my great nephew (6) in 2022. 

3 hours ago, Sweety said:

She is going to love Europe. She will be meeting history in person. I have meet a lot of teens and they couldn't wait to take pictures back to their history teachers. I will be taking my great nephew (6) in 2022. 

My husband is a high school social studies teacher so she has been prepped!!  Can't wait to see Athens and Rome!  Jane

34 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

My husband is a high school social studies teacher so she has been prepped!!  Can't wait to see Athens and Rome!  Jane

My two favorite cities. This year I am teaching two social science classes along with Algebra Trig. I use my pictures in my classes. It makes history real to my students.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The thing that surprised me the most about Rome was how close everything is...such a small geographical area.  It's all just right there together !  So interesting.  Never been to Athens.  One day....

It will be all right together with a million people.  Oh to be able to travel not tied to a school year lol!  We are so excited for this trip.  We are booked to see the Sistine chapel.... Someone needs to pinch me!  Jane

• 3 months later...
On 1/13/2019 at 3:14 PM, mom2mybugs said:

It will be all right together with a million people.  Oh to be able to travel not tied to a school year lol!  We are so excited for this trip.  We are booked to see the Sistine chapel.... Someone needs to pinch me!  Jane

The Sistine Chapel is just part of the Vatican museum.  There are 1000s of art pieces to see in the museum.

5 hours ago, MikeK said:

The Sistine Chapel is just part of the Vatican museum.  There are 1000s of art pieces to see in the museum.

Oh I know!!  Looking forward to all of it but I’m very interested to see the cleaned ceiling in person!  Jane