Prepaid Gratuities / My Time Dining

Callummck

Hi! Wondering if anyone can help out with this? 

We’ve booked a cruise through an agent. The agent asked us which dining option we’d like and we chose my time. She also told us about gratuities added to the Seapss account. 

Here’s my confusion: I understand prepaid gratuities is required for My Time Dining.  I’m pretty sure we’re havent prepaid the gratuities, but our invoice from RCL does say that our dining is My Time Dining and the Cruise planner will let us make reservations. The problem is, I can’t see anywhere how to prepay the gratuities? Would we pay them on the first day onboard? Should they have been paid at the time of booking? 

Thanks Matt- We paid for the cruise at the time of booking. 

My confusion is to do with the My Time Dining - If gratuities haven’t been prepaid, do we still have the My Time Dining that’s on the invoice?! If we paid the gratuities up front when onboard would we still have able to do MTD? 

Just now, Matt said:

If the gratuities are pre-paid, it should be part of the cruise booking.  You'd likely pay it at final payment date.

If you pay them onboard, it will be charged automatically each day of the cruise.

Just now, Callummck said:

My confusion is to do with the My Time Dining - If gratuities haven’t been prepaid, do we still have the My Time Dining that’s on the invoice?! If we paid the gratuities up front when onboard would we still have able to do MTD? 

If you are asking by prepaying gratuities in advance does that force you to do MTD, then the answer is no. I always prepay my gratuities and do traditional dining.

Sorry- I’m not expressing myself too well! 

I’m really asking the opposite - We haven’t prepaid gratuities, but the agent has booked us in for My Time Dining! We want to do MTD, but I’m asking will this stand without finding a way to prepay the gratuities beforehand (I’d guessed it would have been in Cruise Planner but evidently not)

25 minutes ago, Callummck said:

I’m really asking the opposite - We haven’t prepaid gratuities, but the agent has booked us in for My Time Dining! We want to do MTD, but I’m asking will this stand without finding a way to prepay the gratuities beforehand (I’d guessed it would have been in Cruise Planner but evidently not)

The old way of MTD had forced you to prepay gratuities but that changed some time ago.  Now you have a choice to prepay gratuities or not with either Traditional or MTD.  You need to contact your TA and have her add it to your invoice in order to prepay gratuities.

25 minutes ago, Callummck said:

I understand that once upon a time prepaid gratuities were required for MTD.  That is not the case anymore but Royal is not great about updating their website information (I've heard they still talk about Dynamic Dining on Quantum class ships which only lasted one year).  It's also not possible to update every forum discussion when information changes so it can be confusing to read conflicting threads.  I take any thread older than a year (sometimes less) with a grain of salt.

To sum up, your reservation is fine!

Just now, Atlantix2000 said:

I understand that once upon a time prepaid gratuities were required for MTD.  That is not the case anymore but Royal is not great about updating their website information 

Just now, melski94 said:

The old way of MTD had forced you to prepay gratuities but that changed some time ago.  

Alas! That explains it and answers my question- you’re right, it does still say it on parts of the website. 

Thanks.

I think you probably have had you questions answered already but I wanted to show an example. Also as others have stated, prepaid gratuities and MTD have nothing to do with each other anymore. Obviously through this conversation you can tell that you can pre-pay your gratuities our they will be added to your onboard account daily as you cruise. Since you stated that you have already paid you cruise in full I would not go back to your TA just to pay them, I would just pay them at the end of the cruise when you settle your account, there are 2 different rates, one for regular rooms which I believe is $14.50 per day, per person, what you see on my picture is for a suite which is $16.50 PD, PP. One additional reason that you might pre-pay in the future is that Royal can change these rates at anytime, if you have them pre-paid, you are locked in to that rate.

Capture3.thumb.PNG.8d4c6ed60bc38f5394b200b50114657a.PNG

• 1 year later...

I have just booked the allure this afternoon and was told by the iglu cruise rep that if I wanted my time dining then I would HAVE to pay the gratuities up front at the time of booking,but if I had first or second sitting then I didn't need to pay I was imformed that royal had made this part of their booking conditions 2 months ago.this is royal caribeans latest sneaky trick to get you to part with more money than you need to.the gratuities payment are VOLUNTARY you have the choise to pay them or request onboard the ship to take them off of your account . I sailed on the explorer last year and the trick then was we could only cancel them on day 3 of the trip[obviously hopeing for a lot of forgetful customers] its a damn cheek that they are desperately trying to take this right for the customer to cancel ,,after all I never had gratuities for slogging my guts out in the kitchens and bakeries in my career and I don't suppose many ouy there do either

2 hours ago, john the baker said:

I have just booked the allure this afternoon and was told by the iglu cruise rep that if I wanted my time dining then I would HAVE to pay the gratuities up front at the time of booking,but if I had first or second sitting then I didn't need to pay I was imformed that royal had made this part of their booking conditions 2 months ago.this is royal caribeans latest sneaky trick to get you to part with more money than you need to.the gratuities payment are VOLUNTARY you have the choise to pay them or request onboard the ship to take them off of your account . I sailed on the explorer last year and the trick then was we could only cancel them on day 3 of the trip[obviously hopeing for a lot of forgetful customers] its a damn cheek that they are desperately trying to take this right for the customer to cancel ,,after all I never had gratuities for slogging my guts out in the kitchens and bakeries in my career and I don't suppose many ouy there do either

Difference of opinion.... Personally, I wouldn't dream of NOT tipping people that are doing me a service. I will HAPPILY pay my gratuities, and feel that having them paid in advance is very convenient, and probably saves me some money. Im sorry you never received a tip in your years of "slogging your guts out." Just more reason to not perpetuate that.... 

2 hours ago, john the baker said:

I have just booked the allure this afternoon and was told by the iglu cruise rep that if I wanted my time dining then I would HAVE to pay the gratuities up front at the time of booking,but if I had first or second sitting then I didn't need to pay I was imformed that royal had made this part of their booking conditions 2 months ago.

Are you sure that isn't an Iglu Cruise rule?  And that they aren't simply following the outdated information still present on Royal's website as pointed out above?

Also (and I'm probably being the grammar police on this one) do you really mean "you HAVE to pay the gratuities up front at the time of booking" or do you mean they have to be added to your bill at time of booking?  The only thing you should HAVE to pay at booking is the deposit.