RCL Cruise Planner

Al Horner

The vast majority of my cruises are on Royal Caribbean but occasionally I will cruise with another line. Recently, I booked a cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line. I was utterly amazed when I looked at my cruise summary on their website. It was wonderful! It listed all the details, payments, addons (like promo drink packages, specialty dinner packages, etc.), trip information, ship information, and so on. Basically, it had all the information on my cruise laid out in a very user friendly way, the way that Royal Caribbean used to have it. I knew I wasn't happy when RCL changed to the Cruise Planner and now I know why. I wish RCL would, at least, go back to the cruise summary information page the way they used to have it.

Sorry for the follow-up but here's a question. I originally signed up for traditional dining but then I purchased the four night specialty dining package. I figured I would switch to My Time Dining for the remaining 2 or 3 nights. I can't find anywhere on my Cruise Planner where it would say what dining plan I have. I called the RCL customer service and they said (eventually) that they had switched me to MTD. I still can't find anything that says it was changed. In the meantime, my Cruise Planner now says I can purchase (for 0$) MTD but then they want me to schedule it by the day. First, that's not exactly what I envision for MTD and 2nd, how can I schedule MTD when I can't schedule the specialty dining nights until I get on the ship? This is not easy.

You do not have to schedule MTD in advance.  You can wait until you get on the ship to schedule exact times or just show up to MTD for dinner.  There are two lines for MTD.  One for reservations and one for no reservations.   We schedule in advance and if we decide to eat somewhere else we tell the hostess we will not be there that night so they can release the table.      

To my knowledge, you can't see it anyplace unless you call Royal back and ask them to email you a new receipt, or when you hit the 45 day out and you can go on the web page and view and or print your edoc it will be on it on the first page, if you are on a ship that uses the new APP, it will be on the APP page for cruise detail.

You don't have to schedule MTD dinning if you don't want to, you can just wait and walk up to the queue at the dinning room on the night of your choice and wait to be seated, or you can per-schedule a time of your choosing and know that you have that time available.

You are right on the specialty dinning, except for the first night when it made you choose a time, you will complete/make/confirm all of your other reservations when you get on ship, you could also have the person helping you with this task make your MTD reservation for the other night or go to the MDR and have them do it for you.

But you still have the freedom and choice to walk up whenever you want, you may just have to wait in a line.

Think of MTD as showing up at your local popular restaurant.  At certain prime times, you may have to wait unless you have a reservation and the same is with MTD.  

My suggestion would be to make a reservation every night for the times you would like to eat MTD.  Then cancel those MTD nights on the ship once you set up your specialty dining.  It’s very easy to cancel/change your MTD reservation onboard. 

41 minutes ago, melski94 said:

Think of MTD as showing up at your local popular restaurant.  At certain prime times, you may have to wait unless you have a reservation and the same is with MTD.  

Exactly. I love sharing this analogy.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:23 AM, kontraxed said:

The vast majority of my cruises are on Royal Caribbean but occasionally I will cruise with another line. Recently, I booked a cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line. I was utterly amazed when I looked at my cruise summary on their website. It was wonderful! It listed all the details, payments, addons (like promo drink packages, specialty dinner packages, etc.), trip information, ship information, and so on. Basically, it had all the information on my cruise laid out in a very user friendly way, the way that Royal Caribbean used to have it. I knew I wasn't happy when RCL changed to the Cruise Planner and now I know why. I wish RCL would, at least, go back to the cruise summary information page the way they used to have it.

I have a NCL cruise booked for November and I thought the same thing.  My NCL cruise summary is easy to use and has everything there.  RCL should go check out "the Other Guys!"