167 guests sick on Oasis of the Seas

Matt

36 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Sucks when 3% of the population ruins it for the other 97%......

Sounds about right though in todays society.....

As long as  I was in the 97%...I wouldn't mind losing one stop and getting a full refund back..pretty sweet deal really.

I agree, sort of.  Getting time off at my job is SO difficult (we pretty much have to arrange it 6 months in advance and then ask coworkers to switch days with us to make it happen - we don't actually get time OFF most of the time - we simply redistribute when we work it) that rebooking would be really difficult.  But, not the fault of the cruiseline - things happen.  At least they are doing the best they can to make it right.

1 minute ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I agree, sort of.  Getting time off at my job is SO difficult (we pretty much have to arrange it 6 months in advance and then ask coworkers to switch days with us to make it happen - we don't actually get time OFF most of the time - we simply redistribute when we work it) that rebooking would be really difficult.  But, not the fault of the cruiseline - things happen.  At least they are doing the best they can to make it right.

I don't think it is  the 3%, it's the fact that it will keep spreading in spite of everything they are trying to do if they were to continue.  I think it was also likely that Cozumel would have quarantined the ship to prevent it from spreading to other ships.

Well...then it defn was the 3% that ruined it for the rest of the cruise...if its cause of the 3% that they couldn't dock/port...and they need to get the ship back to give it a good cleaning before the next cruise sets sail.....then its defn because of the 3%...what else would it be?

I get that it could get much much worse.....but 167 out of 5400....those are the numbers...and the reason why all this is happening.

And the 97% that are healthy and enjoyed the cruise..lost one day and get all their money back...I'd take that deal anytime.

7 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Now, rumor has it, the number of sick passengers is up to 277 --- They're heading straight back to Canaveral

Well They Are On The Same Voyage Me And @Twangster Fan Did Three Months Ago. A Rumors Has It That They Be Back Port Canaveral By Saturday Or Friday Night.

2 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

They have about 2000 crew members...I bet every single one will be scrubbing something.

You know it ..... and if they're getting back early, that'll give them some extra time ..... I just saw a news alert about this on my local news (Baltimore) --- just hoping if there's a delay for those waiting to board, it won't be too bad.

I love them, but try to shy away from them and eat most meals in the MDR or a restaurant to try and minimize my chance of exposure! I also ensure that I have a small bottle of antibacterial hand sanitizer as well.  After seeing quite a few men, use the bathroom and not touch any soap and water my mind was made up! 

So what happens to the passengers who arrive a day early?  Do they need to book a hotel for the night if their flight leaves the next day?  I wonder how easy it would be to find a hotel last minute.    Of course they just received a full refund but wondering when the complaints will start.

Just now, melski94 said:

So what happens to the passengers who arrive a day early?  Do they need to book a hotel for the night if their flight leaves the next day?  I wonder how easy it would be to find a hotel last minute.    Of course they just received a full refund but wondering when the complaints will start.

RCCL is offering up to $200 per cabin for a hotel or up to that amount for additional airfare plus any rebooking fees.

2 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Sucks when 3% of the population ruins it for the other 97%......

Sounds about right though in todays society.....

As long as  I was in the 97%...I wouldn't mind losing one stop and getting a full refund back..pretty sweet deal really.

ABSOLUTELY, I would gladly loose a stop or two in order to gain a free cruise!  I work in healthcare and am constantly using hand sanitizer and washing my hands when in this kind of environment.  It is ridiculous how people use the bathroom and do not wash their hands, and then decide that they go to the buffet and start eating WITHOUT touching any hand sanitizer. (Yes I have seen it happen personally)? I guess some don't realize that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" to quote Leonard Nimoy. 

2 hours ago, monctonguy said:

I wouldn't mind losing one stop and getting a full refund back

They also did not go in to San Juan, basically the quarantined the whole ship and were not going to let it in anyplace.

This has happened before on other ships and Royal seems able to handle the needed extra work to clean the ship and get it back out on time or just a little late.

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'm quite surprised they decided to end the cruise now.  I can think of so many "worse" situations in the past that did not result in a cancellation of the rest of the sailing.

It makes me wonder if they determined it was a crew member that started it.  Or Cozumel told them they would be quarantined. 

11 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I thought they docked in Falmouth but never got clearance to let people ashore.

@Atlantix2000 is correct it was Falmouth, Jamaica that denied them access to the port area and from there they were going to Cozumel. I imagine on the way to Cozumel they were hoping that it would be contained but as more people came down with norovirus the Captain and crew had to come up with a plan and get RC leadership to make a decision. I think the decision was fair. It will work for some and not for others but you can't make everyone happy all the time.

14 hours ago, Luvmyfurfriend said:

277 passengers sickened with viral illness! How many times has everybody seen people walking right past the hand sanitizing stations to line up for buffet? RC should have staff person stationed at buffets and require people to sanitize their hands! This is so preventable! 

Every RCCL cruise I have been on has made sure that passengers at the WJ or MDR you are either forced into a hand washing station with an employee watching that everyone does wash their hands (WJ) or they had Purell sanitizers with an employee making sure you used it.  That being said, they do have places that I can see issues.  For example, any bar on the ship or places like Sorrento's.  I don't recall on Anthem anybody making sure in the 270 or Johnny Rockets that they used the sanitizer like WJ and the MDR as they entered.