Azamara to Cuba

michelle

11 hours ago, michelle said:

Hi all

I'm scheduled to go to Cuba in March on Azamara.  4 night mini-cruise and interested
in what others have done for shore tours here?  anyone else do something fun you recommend?

Hosting a small group of 8 people.  Any recommendations appreciated.

Michelle, a co-worker of mine went on one of the guided bus tours and said he really liked it. His ship also departed late and him and his wife went to the Copacabana and said it was really nice. Said he felt really secure and no issues walking around.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:40 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm envious that you are going on Azamara.  Dan and I want to take one of their cruises to the Antarctic.  That will have to wait for retirement !  Please let us know what you think of the ship and the cruiseline.

will do - this is my second sailing with them - I really like them a lot - and try and get on them for smaller sailings when I can just to enjoy the all inclusive feel

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, JLMoran said:

Michelle, take a gander at @twangster's live blog of his Empress cruise to Cuba. He did a bus tour through Royal, I'd guess Azamara will have something similar. Do note that his pictures aren't showing right now, but you'll get the gist of the tour and where it went.

Thank you this was really cool and helpful

• 1 month later...

Absolutely loved Cuba and Azamara.  I think what surprised me the most was the ease of the
VISA process.   When we got to the Pier in Miami, FL we had to fill out a form indicating if
we had a tour booked with the cruise line, private tour operator, or independent guide.  Once
we filled this out, they gave us a blank VISA to fill out with our room key>  If you have never
been on Azamara, the check in process is a breeze and the port itself is so quiet and calm,
Bonus of a smaller ship>

Anyway - your account is charged, $75 for the Visa and be careful filling it out because
if you mess it up, they charge you to get a new one. 

The morning we got to Cuba, we disembarked at leisure, right into the terminal and
They good our VISA and stamped the passport, and let us go on our way>  There is a
money exchange right there, so I changed about $100 for ease to buy things.  I did right
outside of the ship in old town see some places taking US$ in smaller gift stores but they
do not offer change, and most do not take $$>

Getting back to the ship we just had to do a security screen, as usual.
ON Day 2, I walked right off the ship, and right through security to Cuba without
having a tour booked an was able to just walk around old town.  NOT sure if this is
just Azamara that allows this but it was nice just to walk around for 4-5 hours and see
places in the downtown area. 

Glad you had a good time in Cuba!

How was the ship, did it live up to the line's luxury level branding? What kind of entertainment and other offerings on board? And of course, how was the food?? ?

Doubt I'll be sailing Azamara any time before retirement, or at least before being an official empty nester (which will likely be close enough to retirement age as makes no real difference). But after seeing some of the truly unique itineraries they offer, like a southern France sailing retracing some of the steps of D-Day and storming the beaches of Normandie, it's a line I'm definitely keeping in mind for down the road.

Dan and I are already talking about doing Azamara to Antarctica.  We sailed with a lady on Grandeur a couple of years ago who sails Azamara regularly and she raved about the Antarctica itineraries.  She told us about standing next to an Ambassador Penguin in the Falkland Islands and Dan has never forgotten that....

On 3/29/2019 at 8:57 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Dan and I are already talking about doing Azamara to Antarctica.  We sailed with a lady on Grandeur a couple of years ago who sails Azamara regularly and she raved about the Antarctica itineraries.  She told us about standing next to an Ambassador Penguin in the Falkland Islands and Dan has never forgotten that....

I am putting you on the list along with @twangster, @Lovetocruise2002. Thank you. I have found my retirement cruise. I am loving this cruise. I will be booking suite. 

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:26 AM, JLMoran said:

Glad you had a good time in Cuba!

How was the ship, did it live up to the line's luxury level branding? What kind of entertainment and other offerings on board? And of course, how was the food?? ?

Doubt I'll be sailing Azamara any time before retirement, or at least before being an official empty nester (which will likely be close enough to retirement age as makes no real difference). But after seeing  some of the truly unique itineraries they offer, like a southern France sailing retracing some of the steps of D-Day and storming the beaches of Normandie, it's a line I'm definitely keeping in mind for down the road.

Hi -

I love that you never pull your room key out for anything - so drinks are included, gratuities, munchies onboard, coffees
I think the food is better than Royal, and really like the smallness of the ship.  They do offer upgraded drink packages
for better alcohol for small upgrade fee like $16 per person, per day.

They have very little entertainment - mostly Music groups that play at pool and evening
Some late night shows, but my friend was bored, lol- I think what draws people is in many of
their ports they stay in port until later, so you can really see a city at night time as well.

The ships are nice and small which I like too, and the Staff I thought was great.

I have always sailed them on smaller or shorter cruises, this one being on 4 nights was a
great deal and they do have many of these that come out.

Still a great cruise to sail for a short duration for sure.

Michelle