Southeast Cruise-Voom and cell phone question

HI All, we are leaving shortly on a South East cruise.  Never cruised to US ports before.  pinging @twangster or anyone who recently has done it ( I know Twangster was just in Miami).  So you keep your phone in airplane mode, or switch it when you get to Charleston/Canaveral/Miami, and go back and forth? Not really sure how this would work. Not really a tech geek! LOL. thank you!!

We did the southeast cruise back in January. We kept our phones on airplane mode while at sea and turned them on at Canaveral. (we had to skip Charleston because of the two day delay to Grandeur) If you keep it on network at sea, you are too far out to receive signal from US carrier towers on land and will end up on the "Cellular at Sea" network (if available) and could end up incurring additional charges.

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

I put my phone into airplane mode on embarkation day once we leave, and then if we return to a US port (Key West, St. Thomas, Miami) take phone out of airplane mode once at the port.  As ship leaves for the night, put it back into airplane mode.

This is a certain recipe for disaster for me.  I always FORGET to put my phone into airplane mode so I normally just shut it off and leave it off.  Not sure what I would do in the case of US ports.  Guess I will find out next month when we do the Anthem B2B.

Late to the party but like others I use airplane mode as the pulls away from the pier and disable airplane as we arrive back at a pier.

Some nuances vary depending on your cell phone company.  TMobile allows data in most countries so I can disable airplane mode safely at each port of call, US or otherwise.

Note that when you phone touches a cell tower it can update the time of the phone.  I always disable automatic time zones on my phone and fix it on a city to match the ship clock.  

I don't know that you will change time at any point on a SE cruise but it's a good habit to get into.