Which Airport?

JennyB

Are you looking for cost savings or convenience?  I personally am not a huge fan of MIA.

Another option that we usually use it to fly into Orlando.  We did this in November.  My daughter and her fiance flew in on a redeye and we met them.  We spent the night in Orlando then drove to Miami the next day.  Checked into the hotel and returned the car then off to the ship the following day. We all did fly out of MIA.  The cost savings for the 4 of us was worth it even with the rental car.  I've done the same sailing out of Port Everglades numerous times.

My recent experience, was that it was cheaper for me to fly in to FLL and then fly out of Miami. I fly out Saturday and the cruise leaves on Sunday.

My cruise leaves in and out of Miami, so I will be taking a limo/car down from the FLL airport to my Miami hotel and then Uber to the port in the morning.

The reason I did it this way was if I flew into and out of Miami my tickets went up by about $200PP. I don't know why or understand why, other than Miami may be a busier airport.

So I didn't really answer your question, if money is not an issue I would fly into and out of Miami for ease of transportation to the port and or hotel/port.

Miami would be most convenient, but I'll bet Fort Lauderdale airport is cheaper.  You can easily do KFLL, just make sure you give yourself enough time. If flying in on a weekend, you need maybe 45 mins to get from KFLL to PortMiami (or back).  On weekday, figure an extra 30-45 mins for traffic).

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

My recent experience, was that it was cheaper for me to fly in to FLL and then fly out of Miami. I fly out Saturday and the cruise leaves on Sunday.

This has been my experience as well.  We fly in on a Friday night and the cruise leaves on a Saturday.  Our port was in Port Everglades but we chose to get off and drive to MIA after the cruise as the flight times and prices were better.

I usually check both airports.  An Uber XL is about $70 one way if you want to factor that into any cost.

2 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

Are you looking for cost savings or convenience?  I personally am not a huge fan of MIA.

Another option that we usually use it to fly into Orlando.  We did this in November.  My daughter and her fiance flew in on a redeye and we met them.  We spent the night in Orlando then drove to Miami the next day.  Checked into the hotel and returned the car then off to the ship the following day. We all did fly out of MIA.  The cost savings for the 4 of us was worth it even with the rental car.  I've done the same sailing out of Port Everglades numerous times.

convenience...wins...every time...

Not sure of your specific plans...but if you plan on using Luggage Valet, make sure that your airport departure time is late enough to use the service.  As I recall, the last time I flew into/out of MIA but sailed out of FLL, the earliest that you could depart from MIA and still use Luggage Valet out of the Port Everglades was 2 PM.  I think that's right.  

4 hours ago, coneyraven said:

Speaking of the distance between Port Everglades and Miami, here's an interesting photo of a ship at Everglades, but if you look in the background to the left, it would appear to be a ship that just left Miami.

C4f7XVOVMAAYWe2.jpg

This photo is odd as those buildings don’t exist. This does not seem to be port Everglades. The port of Miami is 30+ miles to the South so the ship would be the size of an ant. Interesting

We are choosing FLL as we can get a non stop with south west from buffalo, we’re flying in the day before so distance didn’t matter much. We’ll grab Lyft from the airport to the hotel and then again in the morning from the hotel to the port. Like Matt I’m egar to get to the port so we’ll be up bright and early! 

On 1/8/2019 at 1:33 PM, WhiteSoxFan said:

On 1/8/2019 at 4:11 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Not sure of your specific plans...but if you plan on using Luggage Valet, make sure that your airport departure time is late enough to use the service.  As I recall, the last time I flew into/out of MIA but sailed out of FLL, the earliest that you could depart from MIA and still use Luggage Valet out of the Port Everglades was 2 PM.  I think that's right.  

We will fly from Indianapolis and are cruising on the Mariner from Miami on Monday July 8

...and we're trying to decide HOW to get there

...and WHEN...like, should we plan to leave Indy on Sunday and stay the night before embarking on Monday? 

We are open to options, but just don't know about traveling times...

Once in a while flights into MIA (Miami airport) are close enough to FLL (Fort Lauderdale) prices to have me book MIA.

Most of the time I fly into FLL when sailing out of Miami because even with an extra $50 for an Uber'Lyft  the cost savings is worth it (hundreds of $$$ cheaper).  Southwest only flies into FLL and with free checked bags Southwest is very cruise friendly if you book far enough out to get the good rates.

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Once in a while flights into MIA (Miami airport) are close enough to FLL (Fort Lauderdale) prices to have me book MIA.

Most of the time I fly into FLL when sailing out of Miami because even with an extra $50 for an Uber'Lyft  the cost savings is worth it (hundreds of $$$ cheaper).  Southwest only flies into FLL and with free checked bags Southwest is very cruise friendly if you book far enough out to get the good rates.

Thanks...we prefer to fly Southwest and knowing they only fly to FLL was why we were asking for ideas/information...thanks again!

1 minute ago, JennyB said:

Thanks...we prefer to fly Southwest and knowing they only fly to FLL was why we were asking for ideas/information...thanks again!

Right now they have a pretty good deal on their credit card IF you've never had a Southwest credit card before.  Spend $4k in the first 3 months and get a free companion pass for the rest of 2019.  If you fly much with family, one free ticket for a companion every flight you take can be a great deal.

37 minutes ago, twangster said:

Isn't that terminal 29 looking down the ICW?

Perhaps that’s terminal 29 but those building don’t exist so the image must be altered. My home is due North on Harbor Inlet and the view out my back door is essentially this photo except at the inlet. Those buildings don’t exist. 

Just now, tonyfsu21 said:

Perhaps that’s terminal 29 but those building don’t exist so the image must be altered. My home is due North on Harbor Inlet and the view out my back door is essentially this photo except at the inlet. Those buildings don’t exist. 

Maybe it's just the camera angle.  These buildings?

660492710_PEVPTZ.jpeg.f047ba00d49ed6576c9549f55f52bdeb.jpeg