Non Sushi Options in Izumi on Symphony?

Hi All,

We are cruising on Symphony in Feb 2019 and while I love sushi, my wife does not.  On other ships she has joined me and ordered the Hot Rock, but I understand since Symphony has Hibachi they do not have the Hot Rock available. We are wondering if there are any other non sushi options in the Izumi menu on Symphony.

Thanks

Marc

I have not been on Symphony but have been on many ships with Izumi restaurants.  I am not overly fond of sushi myself so I can sympathize. There will be plenty of non-sushi choices. There are soups, soba (noodles), steak, chicken and tempura options.  I love going to Izumi even though I don’t eat sushi (I can do nigiri but only shrimp) so unless your wife is a very picky eater, she will find plenty of other options.

• 2 weeks later...

So funny because I just looked at the Adventure Izumi menu and nothing like Explorer which is the same size ship or the Grandeur which is much smaller.  I would have no problem with Izumi if it was like those ships, but I am only going on Adventure since we are traveling as a group and they want to do it.  I guess I will be hitting WJ prior to dinner and Sorrentos later that night.

Adventure is somewhat unique in that the space allocated to Izumi on the promenade was formerly not a restaurant space with a pre-existing kitchen to leverage.  They couldn't retrofit the special ovens used for hot rocks absent of any kitchen infrastructure without losing a lot of seating area so it ended up without hot rocks and no Hibachi, much like Quantum class.  

On ships where Izumi was retrofitted into an area of the Viking Crown lounge there was enough space to allow hot rock ovens.  

On Mariner they went full Hibachi on deck four but it looks like Navigator is going to use that space for Hooked and leave Izumi in the VCL (with hot rocks).  

It makes for a very confusing and inconsistent experience.  If they used a different name for Hibachi that would go a long ways but the availability or lack of hot rocks still creates a lot of confusion.  

To be completely honest, I was not that impressed with the whole hot rock dealio.  I found the "rock" to be too small to adequately cook everything at the same time and who wants to wait for their food to all get cooked by allowing the first course to get cold ?  I did it once on Grandeur last month ONLY out of desperation b/c we had eaten there SO many times by the end of the cruise that I had run out of things to try.  The teppanyaki meal is ok but the food isn't anything special.  Truly I think the Izumi menu is the best option....so IMO, for the ships that don't offer either the teppanyaki/hibachi option or the hot rocks, I'm ok with it.

• 1 year later...

DH will not eat sushi, but will eat @ Izumi for the Hot Rocks on our Grandeur cruise next year -- just hoping it will be an option for DD who has celiac.  She will eat sushi also if it can be guaranteed gluten free, but more the cooked than uncooked type. If it's real crab meat, vs imitation, then she'll be fine.  Just have to check the sauces to see if they are gf. 

On 1/16/2019 at 12:19 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

To be completely honest, I was not that impressed with the whole hot rock dealio.  I found the "rock" to be too small to adequately cook everything at the same time and who wants to wait for their food to all get cooked by allowing the first course to get cold ?  I did it once on Grandeur last month ONLY out of desperation b/c we had eaten there SO many times by the end of the cruise that I had run out of things to try.  The teppanyaki meal is ok but the food isn't anything special.  Truly I think the Izumi menu is the best option....so IMO, for the ships that don't offer either the teppanyaki/hibachi option or the hot rocks, I'm ok with it.

I agree. We did it once and that was enough. To me it's a novelty and if I wanted to cook for myself, I'd stay home. 

Although I am a big fan of sushi, my wife not so much. Where I can make a meal of it, a piece of two is just enough for her. We really enjoyed their Citrus Seafood salad and Soba Bowls last time around.