Formerly MDR customer?

JasonL

I feel if you are looking for a variety your best options are MDR or WJ. MDR  has the classics every night such as @Matt favorite, Spaghetti Bolognese, but the rest changes nightly as does the selections in the WJ with specialty nights thrown in. Although we've done Izumi's, Giovanni's and Chops, and probably will do a couple again on our upcoming cruise, we couldn't do a full cruise of them. Although good, not enough variety for us for an entire cruise. Some people like to eat at the same restaurants 2-3 days a week, which is fine for them. That's just not us.

We've slowly become disenchanted with the quality of food and frantic service in the MDR (with the exception of a Vision cruise in early 2016; the food that cruise blew us away).  On our most recent cruise we deliberately decided not to visit the MDR at all as an experiment (for lack of a better term) to see if we'd like cruising that way better.  Since we were on Rhapsody with only three specialty restaurants, I picked up the 3 night dining package, and we planned the other days in the Windjammer (specifically Indian and Caribbean nights).  

Night 1 was at Izumi, and the waiter was one of the best I've ever had, land or sea. Enjoyed him so much we wound up booking the sushi making class as well as our last night at Izumi again!  I don't remember what order we did the rest but we wound up in the WJ for Caribbean night and I think German night and two others (Indian was on the buffet each evening), and we also did Chops and Giovannis.  

Pros:

We were able to eat when we wanted to; 7:15pm today, 6:30pm tomorrow? No problem!

Less stress. We didn't have to rush to get to the early seating after a day off ship (we have kids so late seating is out).

Less cost (almost)! Not having to pay airline fees for an additional bag of "fancy" clothes and shoes that we would only wear for a few hours saved money, and was used to subsidize the cost of the speciality restaurants.

The Windjammer food was of better quality and better selection than the tired MDR menu, IMHO. No pathetic dried out duck with a side of red cabbage...that has been on the menu since the time Noah was captain of Arc of the Seas.

Cons:

None, really. We didn't miss it at all. They missed us, though. They called on Day 3 to inquire as to why we weren't showing up.

I wish I could say "we're done" with the MDR but that wouldn't be true as our next cruise is on Majesty which I don't think has speciality restaurants.  But I think it's pretty unlikely we'll be back in the MDR very often in the future.

I can see how the menus can get old for those who cruise multiple times a year or every year. But for someone like us, who only cruise every couple of years, it's fine.

I'm waiting for the day when we cruise enough that the menus get tiresome. 

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

YUM! ?

IMG_6148.thumb.JPG.b1a691ca536ac337f830ecdf16393291.JPG

I will definitely be trying this. If something sounds so strange, but dared to be put on a menu, it is screaming "TRY ME"! One of my favorite sushi rolls is a salmon skin roll. To me, that sounded completely unappetizing, so I tried it. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. So, yes I will try this!