Would you book these inside cabins?

JLMoran

So I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger and booking the August 2, 2020 transatlantic on Celebrity Summit. Thanks to a last-minute quote, I've suddenly been given the chance to actually contemplate booking a pair of balcony cabins rather than a pair of inside. I don't have the option to book one of each, unfortunately, because all of the mid-ship inside cabins on Deck 7 (only deck that both inside and regular balcony cabins) are booked. I can't consider booking anything all the way forward or aft, because my kids both demonstrated on our last cruise together that they get seasick if there's more than a little bit of motion.

I'll keep the specific pros and cons I'm debating out of this for now, but let's leave it that I'm leaning more towards Inside. Key thing I'm wondering about here is a specific pair of inside cabins, which are pretty much the only ones left that I consider worth booking; the remaining available Inside cabins are all far forward or aft, or on decks 2 or 3 (which I do not want to be on). Here's a screen shot from Cruise Deck Plans that shows the cabins I'm contemplating (9087 and 9091), plus what's above and below:

214503670_SummitCabinCheck.thumb.png.7e44ac2bcc1c02693d957d3bbf8f99f1.png

I know that normally getting a cabin below the pool is a Really Bad Idea, but I feel like in this case it could work. After we've left Canada (which itself will only be in the low 70's), it will rapidly get cooler and I don't see the pool deck getting heavy use. Plus, with these two cabins being directly under the pool, I don't envision a whole lot of noise coming down from there even when the pool is getting some use the first few days.

I'm not sure what to make of the blank spaces forward and aft of those two cabins, most likely crew quarters or supply areas for the cabin stewards, so that's a noise risk as well. But it might be one worth taking.

What do you think? Would you book those two cabins if Inside was all you could get, or are there too many potential problems with these? If you want to know my reasons for still leaning towards Inside I'll be happy to give them, but this post is long enough already on its own. ? 

Have you tried to google those two rooms to see if there is any feedback on them?  That's what I usually do when I am unsure...

If those are your only options, and if the price is good, I would probably still give it a try.  Look what I just did with Indy, I took that 1K knowing it was all the way forward and knowing we might have motion and noise issues (and we did) but we did not regret it.  You just go in with the right expectations.

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Have you tried to google those two rooms to see if there is any feedback on them?  That's what I usually do when I am unsure...

Yeah, no feedback at all on these. Only found two reviews on Cruiseline where people had stayed in that room, but they made no mention of how the room was in their review or even gave it a star rating. ? Plenty of photos of the room to be found, but nothing with commentary on how it was to stay there.

3 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Yeah, no feedback at all on these. Only found two reviews on Cruiseline where people had stayed in that room, but they made no mention of how the room was in their review or even gave it a star rating. ? Plenty of photos of the room to be found, but nothing with commentary on how it was to stay there.

Does the Summit have a sister ship that you could try googling?

7 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Does the Summit have a sister ship that you could try googling?

D'oh! Yeah, she has three -- Millennium, Infinity, and Constellation. Found a few reviews of the two cabins on Cruiseline that actually talk about the room, one of them on a 4-night Caribbean sailing and another on a 9-night Med sailing, so plenty of warm weather and likely pool use. No complaints from any of the reviews as far as noise, only comments about the somewhat limited storage space.

And now that I read that back to myself, that is a factor I didn't take into account. This is a two-week trip, and while we won't bring two weeks of clothing, we'll probably bring 10 days so we can get laundry done at the start of week 2 and have some clean stuff left for any extra days in Ireland. I know we can always keep "extra" clothing in the suitcases (which will be under the bed) until it's needed, but still something to consider...

Just now, JLMoran said:

D'oh! Yeah, she has three -- Millennium, Infinity, and Constellation. Found a few reviews of the two cabins on Cruiseline that actually talk about the room, one of them on a 4-night Caribbean sailing and another on a 9-night Med sailing, so plenty of warm weather and likely pool use. No complaints from any of the reviews as far as noise, only comments about the somewhat limited storage space.

Good news then!

Joe, remember too, she's getting a COMPLETE makeover, so no one really knows if cabins will be deleted or added.  I'd call Beatriz just to ask her.  She would probably be helpful with this. 

I will be on her in 4 months, so by that time, I can take a look at what you booked as well. I'm sure I can get a sneak peak even if the cabins are occupied. 

33 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Joe, remember too, she's getting a COMPLETE makeover, so no one really knows if cabins will be deleted or added.  I'd call Beatriz just to ask her.  She would probably be helpful with this. 

Well, both rooms show as bookable on Celebrity’s site, so I’m assuming they’ll still be there. But this IS Royal IT we’re talking about, so a call to Beatriz probably wouldn’t hurt. ?

32 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

The  Millennium I believe is already changed but I think you looked at her too. 

Not quite yet. She gets Revitalized in February, Summit in March. I'll be scouring YouTube for any videos of the ships post refurbishment to see how the rooms and public spaces have been changed / improved!

On 1/5/2019 at 9:37 AM, JLMoran said:

Not quite yet. She gets Revitalized in February, Summit in March. I'll be scouring YouTube for any videos of the ships post refurbishment to see how the rooms and public spaces have been changed / improved!

Don't forget I'll be on Summit in October, so I can send you pictures of anything you need! 

Cabins are rarely deleted.  The manner in which ships are built with vertical risers of plumbing and electrical makes it difficult to remove cabin walls.  

Adding new cabins in former open space is another story and common. 

Cabin updates will likely be drapes, carpet, upholstery, furniture.  Bathroom updates might mean new sinks, showers and fixtures but for the same reason above they don’t typically involve floor plan changes.  

When M class was ‘Solticized’ it was largely updates to common areas such as adding suite and aqua restaurants, specialty dining and so on.  New aqua class cabins were added on the top aft of the M class.  Most cabins didn’t get touched.  

Given they didn’t touch the cabins the last time I’m hopeful they will this time.  

A new suite only area may see some new cabins in that area but that is a tough call.  Only so much new weight can be added to a ship.  Adding weight on upper decks is tough because it changes the center of gravity.   Since M class already did that for the aqua class cabins I’d be surprised if new cabins were part of an ‘Edgeifying’.  More like Edge-like updates but well short of all Edge features.  

They could convert those newer upper deck aqua class cabins to suites and make an area up there suite only.  That’s more easily done since those cabins were bolted on only a few years ago.  

9 hours ago, twangster said:

Given they didn’t touch the cabins the last time I’m hopeful they will this time.

All of the marketing materials I've read do indicate that every single cabin, Interior to Suites, on every ship that's being updated will get new decor, linens, etc. Suites will be much more significantly updated, but I definitely read that all cabins are getting at least a decor update to fit the new theme, plus whatever design changes are being made by Christian Rubio, who is listed as the designer in charge of the ship-wide design updates to non-suite staterooms (vs. Kelly Hoppen, MBE, who is in charge of the suites redesign).

From Celebrity's page covering the stateroom changes for the Revolution program (emphasis added):

It’s not just our suites that are getting a design overhaul. Every stateroom is being boldly rethought. From our inside and ocean view accommodations to our Premium Staterooms like Concierge Class and AquaClass®, we’re taking modern luxury in a bold new direction

I'm hoping this also means that the interior cabins will get "transporter"-style capsule showers with sliding doors to replace the current curtained shower; I don't need to experience what it's like to work for a grabby Hollywood producer. ?