snorkeling in Roatan? Best beach?

nikibron

Going on my first cruise and first time to Roatan. My girls and I want to  find the best place to snorkel and then relax on a beautiful beach that also offers music and a few restaurant choices. I hear West End Beach is good. Also Tabyana Beach? Mixed reviews on Little French Key...recent reviews said it was rundown and dirty? Also should we book through RC or 3rd party? I heard some 3rd parties are less expensive, less crowded and do a great job. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

My family and I did a 3rd party tour through Roatan Eco Tour.  We did a half day snorkeling and then the boat dropped us off at a beach (I don't remember if it was West End or West Bay) where we could hang out on the beach and eat lunch.  I don't remember if there was music there.  Then you agree upon a time to head back to the ship with the others on the tour and a van will pick you up at the agreed upon time.  It was the best snorkeling trip we have ever been on.  Check out Trip advisor for several 3rd party tours.   

When we went Roatan local time was different than ship time so we were a bit early to meet the group.  Also, outside the gates is a crazy mess so just we warned if you go with a 3rd party.  

The only warning I would give is the West End can be very crowded, it seems like everyone that didn't have an itinerary went there. So if that is what you decide, be prepared.

I agree with @melski94 , go with a 3rd party if you feel comfortable, I used Victor Bodden tours, very well organized and economical, my wife and I did a private tour, they went were we asked to be taken and if we had no idea what we wanted they made very good suggestions.

Little French Key, had a fire this summer sometime so you might research that, it could all possibly be rebuilt by now.

We snorkeled out at a private beach in Tristan... Took a bus, had lunch and snorkeled whenever.  I totally can't remember what it was called.  I do remember seeing amazing sea turtles and beautiful fish though.  I think you are right that things are nicer if it isn't too packed...   I was really nervous on my first cruise but 3rd parties do seem to get you back to the ship by on time...I wouldn't do them if you are traveling to the ruins or someplace far away but they are often cheaper and less crowded than royals.  Have a great time...we will visit roatan next year! Jane

• 2 weeks later...

We went on the snorkel tour that was offered by Daniel Johnson's Sloth and Monkey Preserve.  The snorkeling was amazing on the reef and was so inexpensive for the experience.  It is not all inclusive, but if you do the island tour- you will get to experience the West Side of the island after you are finished snorkeling.  They offer a tour now that includes a beach club after snorkeling and that will be what we choose the next time we go to Roatan.  We loved it so much that I am planning a cruise that stops in Roatan just to snorkel the reef again.  

https://monkeyandslothhangout.com/home/index.php/excursions/