Mediterranean Cruise Return flight Questions

Hi all,

I have a Mediterranean cruise planned for  May 2020. I know it is still too early for Hotel, and airfare, but for those of you that have done a Mediterranean  cruise from Barcelona,  can you tell me when I should plan my return flight?  According to the itinerary the ship will arrive at 6:00am. How is Barcelona for Embarkation, and Debarkation? I will be gettingto Barcelona a few days early Pre-cruise  so I will be going straight to the Airport after. Thanks all !

Just now, lovecruising!!! said:

Hi all,

I have a Mediterranean cruise planned for  May 2020. I know it is still too early for Hotel, and airfare, but for those of you that have done a Mediterranean  cruise from Barcelona,  can you tell me when I should plan my return flight?  According to the itinerary the ship will arrive at 6:00am. How is Barcelona for Embarkation, and Debarkation? I will be gettingto Barcelona a few days early Pre-cruise  so I will be going straight to the Airport after. Thanks all !

In terms of port to airport it's much Bayonne or Miami, a 20-30 minute cab ride.  Being international it's always wise to be at the airport several hours prior to your flight.    

2 hours ago, twangster said:

In terms of port to airport it's much Bayonne or Miami, a 20-30 minute cab ride.  Being international it's always wise to be at the airport several hours prior to your flight.    

+1 on this, we had a 10am flight, so we disembarked as soon as we could and took a taxi, we had no issues, we were at the airport by 8am.

We booked all of the airfare through RCCL AirtoSea so everything was guaranteed by them, I was concerned about price but after some checking they were just as cheap as anyone else.

Correction, we stayed an extra day after the cruise, so we didn't rush directly to the airport.

2 hours ago, lovecruising!!! said:

Hi all,

I have a Mediterranean cruise planned for  May 2020. I know it is still too early for Hotel, and airfare, but for those of you that have done a Mediterranean  cruise from Barcelona,  can you tell me when I should plan my return flight?  According to the itinerary the shi, p will arrive at 6:00am. How is Barcelona for Embarkation, and Debarkation? I will be gettingto Barcelona a few days early Pre-cruise  so I will be going straight to the Airport after. Thanks all !

Which ship and when are you sailing? We're on Allure May 24, 2020. 

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

Correction, we stayed an extra day after the cruise, so we didn't rush directly to the airport.

Wait, you can book a return flight with Air2Sea that isn’t locked to the cruise disembarkation date? How far after disembarkation were you able to book (if you remember)?

The Barcelona cruise terminal and the airport are pretty close. Since there is no customs to pass through at the cruise terminal (you just pick up your bags and walk out the door) it will  quicker and easier to just take a cab rather than wait for a bus to fill up.

The very modern Barcelona airport is a pleasure to fly in and out of. And it's huge, Texans would be proud to have BCN in their state. If you arrive to the airport early, don't be in a  hurry to get to your gate. At BCN, if you are at a international gate and then want to grab something to eat or go wander around the stores; you have to go through security again. 

15 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Wait, you can book a return flight with Air2Sea that isn’t locked to the cruise disembarkation date? How far after disembarkation were you able to book (if you remember)?

The ship arrived on a Sunday, so we had this whole day to sight see, we also stayed Monday and went on an all day tour and then flew out on Tuesday.

This was significant because Monday was the 4th of July and for obvious reasons no one cared in Barcelona.

11 minutes ago, bobroo said:

Since there is no customs to pass through at the cruise terminal (you just pick up your bags and walk out the door) it will  quicker and easier to just take a cab rather than wait for a bus to fill up.

+1 one on this, piece of cake, we flew back Barcelona to JFK, we had to do customs in JFK, which is significant because you have to make sure you have enough time to claim your bag, go through Customs and then re-check your bag to your final destination. AirToSea handled all of  this for me.

4 hours ago, bobroo said:

The very modern Barcelona airport is a pleasure to fly in and out of. And it's huge, Texans would be proud to have BCN in their state. If you arrive to the airport early, don't be in a  hurry to get to your gate.

This checks...I was surprised how big the airport was. But getting to and from the airport is quite easy.

So excited to see this topic pop up.  We will be on Vision out of Barcelona in July 2019 for a 12 day greek/med cruise!!   I have to admit I'm kind of panicking on the airfare and connections so it is great to know that the Barcelona airport is convenient and close, and that we can just taxi it.  The last time we bussed (using the transfers) it took forever.  Does spain have uber?  We found it very useful last summer in Paris.  

Can you do air2sea if you go a few days early?  We plan on flying in and spending the weekend before boarding the ship.  I'm not sure how it all works because we have never done it before.  I am just now starting to really price flights...we are flexible on arrival but have to go back and land the day of disembarkation as we will have a kid to drive back to college!  Did anyone say...what is the earliest I should look at booking the flight returning from Barcelona? Jane

On 1/3/2019 at 10:50 PM, lovecruising!!! said:

Hi all,

The best time I think will be a flight around 11:30  AM to 12 PM ,

Embarkation is very quick (so if you arrive at 6 AM  you can try to get our by 8 AM ). Nothing in terminal as other people said , the only problem can be the huge Taxi lines ... (One time it took us 30 -40 minutes ) That can be avoid by taking RC shuttle, just remember the shuttle wont leave until it is full or all the booked  people arrived, also RC will not allow you to book a shuttle if your flight is too early (not sure what is considered  to be too early in Barcelona) . Drive to the airport is around 20-30 minutes  (on Sunday it will be more like 20 minutes)

If your find  a cheaper  flight but it is after 3 PM I would consider to take advantage on the "stay a while" program   which RCL offers in  its European cruise, you pay a certain amount, and allowed  to stay on the ship (not in your cabin) until around 3 PM with ability to use the buffet, pools , bars (if you have the DLX package you are limited to non alcoholic drinks) and they  will store your suitcase (for extra fee). In Barcelona airport the counter are only open 2.5 hours to 3 hours before your flight ,  so if your are flying with a company that dose not have frequent flight from Barcelona most of the chances you will need to wait with your suitcases until they open and you can drop off your luggage (happened to us once , we were waiting on the floor for Swiss counter to be opened). Another option is to take one of the RC tours that transfer you to the airport but first takes you to see Barcelona. I am not aware of any luggage storage near the terminal by I might be wrong (take into consideration , many things are closed on Sunday in Barcelona).

Enjoy your cruise.