Internet package

NeilM

Leaving on a cruise on Navigator of Seas on Sunday, wondering if internet package is required to send message on phone?  Does Navigator have internet stations to check emails, and if so, how much?  I am trying to decide if the Internet package is worth the price. Seems hefty to me. Thanks for any help.

These days, you have to clarify what you mean by "message".

If you're talking about a text message (SMS), then no, you don't need an internet package. You'd instead be using the ship's Cellular at Sea service. Your cellular provider will add charges to your existing bill for the international roaming. Text messages can run up to 25-50¢ each to send or receive (costs vary by provider, so check with your carrier for your particular rates). You should disable "Data Roaming" on your phone as international data roaming can be extremely expensive.

If you're talking about some other messaging technology that uses the internet (Apple's iMessage, Facebook, email, etc.), then you'll want to have an internet package.

Now, you did go on to talk about emails. In that case, I do believe that Navigator of the Seas would have PCs available at "RC Online" on deck 8 (between the aft elevator lobbies). You would be able to use them to access web-based email services such as GMail. Note, however, that you would still need an internet package in order to access them on these PCs as well.

Yes there are internet stations to use.  In my opinion, you will have a better experience using your own device to send emails or use the internet in general.  It's the same price whether you use your own device or Royal Caribbean's. 

You may find this recent blog post about using your cell phone on a Royal Caribbean ship useful: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/08/25/using-your-cell-phone-royal-caribbean-cruise

Leaving on a cruise on Navigator of Seas on Sunday, wondering if internet package is required to send message on phone?  Does Navigator have internet stations to check emails, and if so, how much?  I am trying to decide if the Internet package is worth the price. Seems hefty to me. Thanks for any help.

If all your doing is checking messages, just wait until you get to a port. Every port has a restaurant or place where there is free internet (MacDonalds, ect.). Why do you think you see a lot of crew get off with their computers at the ports?

Just got off the Jewel Of the Seas. The internet was sporadic and very, very slow on board and $40 a day. All the ports had fast and FREE internet somewhere.

Thanks everyone for the good information.  Matt, I opened the link you posted and it was very helpful.  I was talking mainly about checking my emails on yahoo,which I can do on my phone.  We may want to send a text message but will not need to use the internet much at all.  We will have our phone mostly in case someone needs to get hold of us and can check emails at each port.  Thanks again

If all your doing is checking messages, just wait until you get to a port. Every port has a restaurant or place where there is free internet (MacDonalds, ect.). Why do you think you see a lot of crew get off with their computers at the ports?

Just got off the Jewel Of the Seas. The internet was sporadic and very, very slow on board and $40 a day. All the ports had fast and FREE internet somewhere.

I think based on what you want to do, this advice is what you should follow. 

Texting, even with Royal Caribbean's onboard rates, is not terribly expensive (unless you text like a 14 year old).