LIVE - "Back on Brilliance, baby!" Brilliance of the Seas February 14-18, 2019

Matt

18 hours ago, Matt said:

Sailaway and our cruise has begun! We enjoyed sailaway from the helipad, which is such an underrated and little known spot you can go while on any radiance, voyager or freedom class ship!

A47B2CFB-3E10-45AB-8ABB-4E576B03C992.jpeg

C7979A28-E9DF-4601-B2AA-9F1D466E6041.jpeg

The only reason I wouldn't consider sail away there is because it's too far from the bar ---- now, if they have a beverage cart there, that's a whole different situation

25 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

The only reason I wouldn't consider sail away there is because it's too far from the bar ---- now, if they have a beverage cart there, that's a whole different situation

You’re not wrong, but not having trouble finding drinks in general

31 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Our latest cruise tradition has been for any sailing we have a balcony for, we carry on a bottle of champagne (or two) specifically for a private champagne sail away party. SO much more relaxing than dealing with the masses at the suddenly re-opened bars. 

We did this on Mariner with my family and we had the balcony dividers taken down between our rooms and it was a blast. 

11 hours ago, J_Keeble said:

me neither! if that was me which it isnt. I would turn it into hooked, that's my personal opinion. I guess the galley area is still there for it? such a waste of a wonderful space. ?

They actually tried that on Radiance for the Alaska sailings during my season (2015 maybe?).  They called it Rita's Crabshack and it was an ala carte restaurant.  The waitstaff wore plaid shirts and jeans.  It was never busy at all and we didn't try it.  There's a blog here about it with photos here.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:25 AM, Matt said:

The bartender isnt totally positive but thinks you would.  In that case it might be a decent deal. 

He said the bogo deal is essentialy $25 off $70 for each person.  Plus D+ discount would potentially be good deal. Already prebooked so cant test it out. 

Someone smarter than me, @CGTLH and @twangster , I keep seeing mention of this D+ discount on the drink package and I go over to the C&A web site and I can't find it. Your assitance is greatly appreciated.

If I'm going to buy a Ultimate Drink package I usually do before hand as @Matt says, that way I can pay it off at me pleasure before hand, or I just don't buy it and use the D+ happy hour drinks.

But my wife had a taste of Star Class and the Ultimate Drink package and she got spoiled to walking up and ordering anything she wanted (Kraken Lava flow), I asked her if she wants it for the next cruise (July 4 group cruise, Grand Suite) and she says no, but once we get on board I think she is going to change her mind. Hence my question about the discount.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Someone smarter than me, @CGTLH and @twangster , I keep seeing mention of this D+ discount on the drink package and I go over to the C&A web site and I can't find it. Your assitance is greatly appreciated.

I believe it's mentioned in the Welcome Letter where they talk about all the discounts that they add to your SeaPass card. (Stolen image courtesy of another forum.)

stolen.jpg

2 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

If I'm going to buy a Ultimate Drink package I usually do before hand as @Matt says, that way I can pay it off at me pleasure before hand, or I just don't buy it and use the D+ happy hour drinks.

But my wife had a taste of Star Class and the Ultimate Drink package and she got spoiled to walking up and ordering anything she wanted (Kraken Lava flow), I asked her if she wants it for the next cruise (July 4 group cruise, Grand Suite) and she says no, but once we get on board I think she is going to change her mind. Hence my question about the discount.

Thanks.

It's listed on the D+ letter left in your cabin that outlines on-board discounts and things like the free photo and 2 days of free Voom.

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

It's listed on the D+ letter left in your cabin that outlines on-board discounts and things like the free photo and 2 days of free Voom.

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

That's why I usually miss it, I've already bought it so I really don't pay attention to those lines in the letter.

Thanks guys.

After lunch we headed down to the Pub for some sports trivia.  Didn’t win, but learned the origin of the saying “a hop, skip and a jump”

24E9A3BA-28BE-4CF1-8BBC-F4B630559A0F.jpeg

After trivia I made the fateful decision that all must wrestle with on a sea day: to nap, or not to nap.  That, is the question.  Whether ‘‘tis nobler to remain awake or prepare for the evening.  Anyway, I opted for a nap.  

39 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Unfortunately, by the time you and I sail Brilliance for the Canada/NE GC, it will be freezing cold in that Solarium.

Think so? I've mostly been on cool weather cruises and I can't think of any Solariums that weren't at a nice temperature, despite the temp outside (ok, that's only 3 cruises, but they were all pretty nice).

I spotted popcorn for sale at pool bar. $2 per bag. Popcorn for sale onboard has been something I’ve seen here and there over the years.  

45FD237E-2A50-4C96-9A4E-66B79D9F65FB.jpeg

61FF223C-F134-47A4-B291-BC872BE73205.jpeg

On the one hand, it’s inexpensive but on the other hand the fact it costs anything is a bit ridiculous.  I recall on the one NCL cruise I did their pub had popcorn all the time that was complimentary. 

10 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Think so? I've mostly been on cool weather cruises and I can't think of any Solariums that weren't at a nice temperature, despite the temp outside (ok, that's only 3 cruises, but they were all pretty nice).

I don't know...Does the Brilliance Solarium have a retractable roof?  If not, I don't imagine it would be that warm by mid-October.

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Isn’t that normal for you Canadians?

Sadly, yes.

7 minutes ago, ThyriC said:

Its only cold in Canada when they trade the Lulu parkas for the North Face parkas.  

Forget North Face.  It's Canada Goose for the serious cold!

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I don't know...Does the Brilliance Solarium have a retractable roof?  If not, I don't imagine it would be that warm by mid-October.

Sadly, yes.

Forget North Face.  It's Canada Goose for the serious cold!

I'm from Minnesota and it's actually colder here today than where Lovetocruise is (not by much! -10 C pre-windchill) - but, yeah, if it doesn't have the roof ... I thought that Jewel did - maybe I'm misremembering. It's been a very long time ?

Just now, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm from Minnesota and it's actually colder here today than where Lovetocruise is (not by much! -10 C pre-windchill) - but, yeah, if it doesn't have the roof ... I thought that Jewel did - maybe I'm misremembering. It's been a very long time ?

I can't remember either.  I've only sailed Radiance class once, Brilliance back in 2005.  But that was to the Med in July, so cold wasn't an issue.  Maybe @Matt knows?

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

I spotted popcorn for sale at pool bar. $2 per bag. Popcorn for sale onboard has been something I’ve seen here and there over the years.  

On the one hand, it’s inexpensive but on the other hand the fact it costs anything is a bit ridiculous.  I recall on the one NCL cruise I did their pub had popcorn all the time that was complimentary

Think Royal tries to use the Johnny Rockets logic. Other words by charging it prevents waste and associated mess. But I do agree that it is crazy that they charge for it. Just surprised that they don't setup outside the movie theater.

Same area of thought... New dart board in the Pub still in good condition? Other thought, is the exit sign up on the ceiling inline of the dart board broken/cracked?

19 minutes ago, rjac said:

Please do tell.....don't keep us in suspense.......:27_sunglasses:

It’s the three steps required for a successful long jump

11 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Think Royal tries to use the Johnny Rockets logic. Other words by charging it prevents waste and associated mess. But I do agree that it is crazy that they charge for it. Just surprised that they don't setup outside the movie theater.

Same area of thought... New dart board in the Pub still in good condition? Other thought, is the exit sign up on the ceiling inline of the dart board broken/cracked?

I agree that it probably does reduce abuse of it. And $2 ain’t terrible. 

New dart board in the pub. It got replaced shortly after we sailed in September. 

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Their roof is theoretically retractable, but I have yet to ever see it occur in this decade. 

I'm calling fake news!  Last week he declared Vision never opens it's roof yet it was open in January.  This is Serenade's solarium roof open in St. Maarten next to Adventure (in 2018). 

#SolariumRoofOpenDenier

1411165676_SerenadeDay8SolariumOpen-3.jpg.b4088081d104ab8d5470a3e6e7fac4ba.jpg369358466_SerenadeDay8SolariumOpen-2.jpg.f61349e8b63d77f4d7f5371d64abd89b.jpgSerenade Day 8 Solarium Open-1.jpg