Grandeur of the Seas – 9 Day Bahamas Cruise December 13-22, 2018

DandA

This was our second cruise, the first being on Oasis of the Seas this past April.  We were so excited to take our first cruise that we booked the Grandeur several weeks after booking the Oasis.  The Grandeur was chosen for several reasons (1) less than 2 hour drive to board; (2) wanting to experience a smaller ship; and (3) hearing all the great experiences many have had on this ship.

DW and I are in our mid 60’s, recently retired and enjoying our new found love of cruising.  We are not what you call foodies, so the MDR, Park Café, Café Latitudes and the Windjammer are where we will be eating.  A good cup of coffee for me and a Latte for the wife is a must every day and we enjoy a couple adult beverages when on vacation, so we purchased the Deluxe Beverage Package at a great price for $39 per day.  I did not purchase the internet package so this is a post cruise review, maybe one day I will do a live review.  I had intended to do this review as soon as we got back but with the holidays and unpacking time got away from me.

I have learned so much reading other’s cruise reviews, I wanted to try and give a little back by writing about our experience.  I enjoy taking photos so expect a lot of pictures of the ship and the ports.  So here’s the itinerary for this cruise:

Day 1-Baltimore

Day 2-Sea Day

Day 3-Port Canaveral:  Will be staying on the ship, as we will be returning for a Disney/Universal vacation with some of our kids and grandkids next year.

Day 4-Miami:   Purchased the Hop On/Hop Off Bus Tour, must see will be the Art Deco District and Lil Havana.

Day 5-Freeport:  Will either stay on the ship or just meander around the port for a couple of hours.

Day 6-Coco Cay:  We have a clamshell (beach lounger) reserved and this will be a relaxing beach and bbq day.

Day 7-Nassau:  Have an excursion to the Forts and Queen’s Staircase tour planned with Cheryl’s Bahama Taxi.  After the excursion, a walking tour of Nassau and the Pirate Museum and Pompey Museum is planned.

Day 8-Sea Day

Day 9-Sea Day

Day 10-Baltimore

Day 1-Baltimore

Embarkation day, the morning was a flurry of activities, first order of business was to drop our dogs at the boarders, breakfast with Son #3 and DIL in exchange for the “taxi service” to the port.  

We arrived at the port at 10:30 am, dropped bags at the porters, thru security and check-in.  We were on board at 11:00 am; this was a pretty smooth and seamless embarkation. Had a short wait to unload the bags, and then walked straight into the building.  Had to remove my belt and empty my pockets (always a hassle) before going thru the magnetometer.   Then redress because I wear a belt for functionality not just appearance.  Walked straight thru to check in, picture taken, received our see pass and walked onto the ship.  I will say that everyone was polite and helpful from the porters, security and check in personnel.

Stepping from the gangway onto the ship is a great feeling, love hearing that ding from the sea pass card and the cruise is underway.   We boarded on deck 4 and stepped into the Centrum, the ship was decorated for Christmas.  First order of business was to order our first drink of the cruise a Lava Flow; even though this is only our second cruise I have declared that the Lava Flow is our traditional embarkation day first drink.  Next order of business was to do a little exploring, checked out the Schooner Bar, pool deck, Solarium and stopped at Park Café for a lunch.  We each had a cup of cream of potato soup and we split a carved turkey sandwich.  It was a bit cool that day so that hot soup really hit the spot.  At 1:00 pm the announcement came that the rooms were open, after finishing lunch we went down to our room on deck 3.    

Below are some photos of the Centrum 

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0074_1.jpg

Day 1-Baltimore (cont.)

We had originally booked an inside room located mid-ship port side as we were concerned with how we would handle ship movement, remember this was only our second cruise.  Neither of us had ever suffered from motion sickness but we didn’t want to risk it on a 9 day winter cruise.  I kept checking prices and decided to upgrade to an ocean room, we settled on a port side room 3090 just off the rear elevator lobby on deck 3.  The room was very convenient being next to the elevators and easy access to other parts of the ship. The large window in this room was really nice.  I liked to leave the curtain open so I am awakened by early morning light also it provides some light for those night time bathroom runs.

I had viewed numerous photos of the rooms so I was familiar with the layout of the room.  One thing that I never was able to figure out was the clearance between the bed and the desk and the love seat.  I can report that there was sufficient room to walk around the bed, only stubbing my toe once.  As stated above the location was very convenient to all the areas that I wanted to be.  I will mention that the gangway entrance on deck 4 is directly above the room.  The gangway is loaded with barricades and other equipment, we were late leaving Port Canaveral (11:00 pm) so there was some noise associated with them putting all the equipment away after sail away.  I would also hear a little noise on other nights or early morning if someone was in the gangway room.  I’m a light sleeper so it may not bother others, it wasn’t a big inconvenience. 

After checking out the room, I located suitcase 1 of 3 in the stairwell, then it was off to explore the ship some more before muster drill.   Grabbed another drink and sat in the Schooner bar which would become our go to spot on this ship.  Muster was held inside because of the weather, we had muster station 6 and were on deck 4 port side.  Muster went fairly quickly and then we were off again to the room to check on our other luggage.  Suitcases were located in the stairwell, so we unpacked and got ready for dinner. 

We have early seating traditional dinning which was at 5:30 pm on this sailing.  We were at a 6 top table, met our table mates and our waiter Salmen and asst. waiter Jely.  Table mates were excellent, we had enjoyable conversations each night, we also joined the one couple at shows and the Schooner bar after dinner many nights.  Salmen was great and very entertaining and Jely was also very sweet.  Dinner was over after 7:00, but we were talking so didn’t notice the time.

After dinner it was off to the Schooner bar to listen to the piano player Ross Leadbetter.  I had read the many reports of how great the crew was on the Grandeur and they were right, we had two particularly outstanding waiters in the Schooner bar, Kadek and Leslie.  They always remembered our names and what we drank.  After 11:00 things were winding down including us so it was off to bed.  It was a little after midnight that we left the bay, we watched us cross over the bay bridge tunnel.

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

12 hours ago, DandA said:

This was our second cruise, the first being on Oasis of the Seas this past April.  We were so excited to take our first cruise that we booked the Grandeur several weeks after booking the Oasis.  The Grandeur was chosen for several reasons (1) less than 2 hour drive to board; (2) wanting to experience a smaller ship; and (3) hearing all the great experiences many have had on this ship.

DW and I are in our mid 60’s, recently retired and enjoying our new found love of cruising.  We are not what you call foodies, so the MDR, Park Café, Café Latitudes and the Windjammer are where we will be eating.  A good cup of coffee for me and a Latte for the wife is a must every day and we enjoy a couple adult beverages when on vacation, so we purchased the Deluxe Beverage Package at a great price for $39 per day.  I did not purchase the internet package so this is a post cruise review, maybe one day I will do a live review.  I had intended to do this review as soon as we got back but with the holidays and unpacking time got away from me.

I have learned so much reading other’s cruise reviews, I wanted to try and give a little back by writing about our experience.  I enjoy taking photos so expect a lot of pictures of the ship and the ports.  So here’s the itinerary for this cruise:

Day 1-Baltimore

Day 2-Sea Day

Day 3-Port Canaveral:  Will be staying on the ship, as we will be returning for a Disney/Universal vacation with some of our kids and grandkids next year.

Day 4-Miami:   Purchased the Hop On/Hop Off Bus Tour, must see will be the Art Deco District and Lil Havana.

Day 5-Freeport:  Will either stay on the ship or just meander around the port for a couple of hours.

Day 6-Coco Cay:  We have a clamshell (beach lounger) reserved and this will be a relaxing beach and bbq day.

Day 7-Nassau:  Have an excursion to the Forts and Queen’s Staircase tour planned with Cheryl’s Bahama Taxi.  After the excursion, a walking tour of Nassau and the Pirate Museum and Pompey Museum is planned.

Day 8-Sea Day

Day 9-Sea Day

Day 10-Baltimore

You got off as we were getting on !!!

Day 2-Sea Day

Sometime in the middle of the night the ship started rocking-n-rolling and continued into day three.  Seas were running around 15’ and the outside areas were pretty much closed off most of the day.  Learned later that lots were having problems with the rolling seas, but thankfully for us the only problems we were having was walking.

After showering and dressing it was off to Café Latitudes for coffee and then to the MDR for breakfast.  They were having the $10 flash sale this morning and it was a mad house, picked up a cheap watch for shore and the wife got two new purses.  After that went to the meet & mingle and veterans get together both were okay.  After lunch we went to the Family Feud Game Show and to the Solarium for a soak in the hot tub and a nap.  The Family Feud Show was funny and I began to see the difference a good cruise director can make.  The one on the Oasis was meh, but Mike is funny and very entertaining.  After getting ready for the first formal night we were off for a drink and pictures.   This was the one disappointment in the whole cruise, we had our pictures taken on the Centrum stairs and we never could find them.  Checked at the photo desk on the last sea day and the lady took the picture taken on the MDR that night as a reference and told us to come back in an hour.  When we came back she wasn’t there and they couldn’t find the MDR photo that she took. 

After dinner we headed back in to the Centrum and had our picture taken with the Captain by the Christmas tree.  Saw the headliner show with Rick Faugno; he is listed as a song and dance man.  His show was pretty good and in the style of performers like Frank Sinatra, Fred Astaire and the like.  After the headliner show we headed to the Schooner bar to finish out the night with a few adult beverages, talking with two of our MDR tablemates and listing to the piano man.

Here's a few pics: DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0106_1.jpg

There's a reason why they call me the Grand..... Poo-Bah --- We loved Grandeur, truly our home away from home ..... won't be back on her until spring of '21 (that's a weee bit depressing -- We feel like we're cheating on her with another ship ...lol

20181027_205427.jpg

Day 3-Port Canaveral/Orlando

By morning the seas had calmed and it was warming up, due to the storm the previous day our arrival into port was delayed by two hours.  We had purchased the Chops “Lobster Brunch” on day 1 so we weren’t in a hurry to get up for breakfast so we had a leisurely morning.  I wasn’t overly impressed with the brunch.  It included fruit, cheeses, a mound of shrimp, bacon, pre-cooked eggs and, omelets.  After the help yourself buffet, they brought out lobster for everyone.  It was the same lobster that they serve on the second formal night.  All in all we were not impressed could have just had a nice breakfast in the MDR.

We weren’t going ashore in Port Canaveral so the afternoon was spent exploring the ship and lying around in the Solarium.  We had learned from our two D+ dining companions that if we arrived at 5:15 pm they would start serving us.  They always wanted to go to the early show so that helped all of us, as we were done with dinner around 6:45 pm.  Tonight’s headliner show was Albert Lucas a comedic juggler.  He put on a pretty amazing show and has a pretty extensive performing career starting on the Ed Sullivan show and touring with Liberace.   We ended the night in the Schooner Bar listening to the Blue Ocean Duo.  Two ladies from the Ukraine played easy listening music on the guitar and viola. 

We had a late departure due to getting into port two hours late.  We were scheduled to leave at 11:00 pm but didn’t end up leaving to just before midnight.  I later heard that they were waiting for an excursion to get back.  This was the night that we heard all the noise above us when they were putting away the gangway barricades and equipment.

The Grandeur has some great art adorning her , here are a few pics :

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

3 hours ago, coneyraven said:

There's a reason why they call me the Grand..... Poo-Bah --- We loved Grandeur, truly our home away from home ..... won't be back on her until spring of '21 (that's a weee bit depressing -- We feel like we're cheating on her with another ship ...lol

She's a nice ship, I'm sure this won't be our last time on her.

4 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

YOu are getting me so excited. we are on the same itinerary leaving Feb 14th. (or course they cancelled CocoCay and replaced with Freeport, Yuk!) We've sailed on Lady G last year and she is really just the right size ship for us.  I hope to see further updates. Thank you! 

The pier is coming along slooowly, so it's not a surprise they are still shifting ships around.  We only got off for a few hours in Freeport, nothing of interest there for us.  I did take some pictures of the construction and will post it in another post.

Day 4-Miami

Warning lots of pics are coming.  Miami will be our first shore day, as I had purchased a Hop on-Hop Off bus tour of Miami.  I had gotten a great price on Group On about half the cost of their web site.  The plan was to take the Beach Loop and get off in the Art Deco district and walk around taking pictures of some of the building, and then switch busses to the City Loop get off in Little Havana and have lunch and do some sightseeing.  We were two hours late getting into port so had to make a quick decision to forgo getting off in the Art Deco district.  I was up early and took some pictures of the sunrise and the Florida shore line as we came into Miami.

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

Day 4 Miami (cont.)

We joined Allure and Navigator in port today, once we received the all clear we left the ship and grabbed an Uber to Bayside Marketplace.  Uber cost was $6.13 + tip, this was our first time using Uber and it went pretty well and the driver was friendly.  I found the bus stop fairly easily and we hopped on the first bus heading around the Beach Loop.  The tour guide was very knowledgeable, telling us the story behind the settling of the area and how the Art Deco district grew and subtly changed throughout the 1920’s -1960’s.  I decided that if we got off in the Art Deco district, we wouldn’t have time to see Little Havana so all the pics are taken from the bus.

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0199.jpg

Back at Bayside we hopped on the next City Loop bus, this bus took us thru Coconut Grove, Little Havana and downtown Miami.  We got off in Little Havana to walk around, the bus stop was right in front of Domino Park the park was full of domino players.  We walked to the Bay of Pigs memorial taking pictures along the way, by now we were pretty hungry. 

DSC_0245.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0250.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

I had seen the reviews for a restaurant called “El Cristo Restaurant” so we wanted to eat there.  Remember I said we weren’t foodies, well we split a chicken empanada appetizer that was like tasting heaven.  I had the Cubano “El Christo” sandwich and the wife had the Cuban sandwich.  The sandwiches were large and we couldn’t finish them no matter how good they were.  If I had it to do over again I would have a made a meal of the empanadas, it’s a restaurant I would highly recommend.

DSC_0269.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0246.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0266.jpg

DSC_0270.jpg

Sadly it was time to head back to the ship, we caught the next to last bus back to Bayside.  Stopped at a CVS to pick up some forgotten suntan lotion and aspirin and called for an Uber ($7.37 + tip) to get back to the ship. On the ship at 5:45 pm, all aboard was 6:30 pm.  We missed our dining time and we weren’t hungry anyway so it was a quick clean up then to the Schooner bar to exercise our drink package.

A few more pics of Miami

DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

DSC_0272.jpg

DSC_0273.jpg

Safely back on ship, we watched the production show “All Access”, the ships singers and dancers performed a variety of songs from soul to Motown.  They were entertaining and pretty good.  We ended the evening in the Schooner bar listing to the piano player and enjoying the atmosphere of the ship.

Next up Freeport, Grand Bahamas.

3 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

I am loving this blog.  Now I want to get off in Miami!  Wasn't going to!! Pictures are awesome!

The Hop On-Hop Off tour was pretty good, wish we would have had more time so we could have walked around the Art Deco District and Wynwood District.  Check out Group on for deals, think we got tickets for $25 each.  One thing to keep in mind if you get off at a stop it's 1/2 hour for the next one.

Day 5-Freeport, Grand Bahamas

I couldn’t find anything to interest me in Freeport so this was going to be another sea day except maybe get off and walk around the port area.  I was up on deck to watch our sailing into Freeport, so after coffee and breakfast we walked off to peruse the port area.  Not a lot in port but did manage to pick up a few t-shirts for the grandkids and snap a few pictures.  Back on board, went up to enjoy the hot tubs, it seems that a lot of people stayed on the ship.  After dinner in the MDR, we went to the Headliner Show with magician Bill Cook with two of our tablemates from dinner.  Bill Cook was entertaining and amazing; he entertained us with his skills as a magician and his wit.  After the show it was back to the Schooner bar where we drank, chatted and listened to the piano player for the rest of the evening. 

Here are a few pictures of our sailing into Freeport.

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

Day 6-Coco Cay

We had rented a “Beach Lounger” for the day and had planned to just have a relaxing beach day.  After the short tender ride to shore we strolled toward the beach loungers, by the time we had gotten there all the sore front property had been claimed so we picked one on the back row where we had a lovely view of the backs of several loungers and glimpses of the sea.  It wasn’t bad quite relaxing to not have anything to do but sip on the CoCo Loco we had picked up on our walk.  It was starting to get warm so off we went to wade into the water to the floating bar.  Initially the water was a bit chilly but it quickly warmed up and was very refreshing,

The floating bar was never very crowded; several people came and went as we sat at the bar.  Heeding the sign that you may have to swim back to shore and not wanting to swim with my camera we left and headed to the BBQ area.  Tide was coming in but had only raised the water level a half foot or so.  The BBQ was typical of what you find at any BBQ, no complaints with the food or the service.

With our bellies full it was time to walk back to the loungers, for some more lounging, reading and napping.  I did notice a few more people in the loungers in front of us and heard a beach attendant ask for their tickets.  They quickly gathered their belongings and left.  I had heard the day before on the ship that they had loungers available so I gathered they didn’t rent them all.  Soon it was time to walk back and get on the tenders to head back to the ship.

DSC_0321.JPG

DSC_0314.JPG

DSC_0342.JPG

DSC_0341.JPG

DSC_0340.JPG

DSC_0333.JPG

The construction of the new enhancements at Coco Cay are coming along with some buildings and such visible over the fence or coming in on the tenders.  It does appear that once the amusement park opens there will still be room for a quiet beach day.  Since I didn’t have any beach time on our visit to Labadee it’s kind of hard to compare the two.  When we boarded the ship it sounded like the weather was going to keep us from tendering, thankfully that didn’t happen and we had an enjoyable beach day in the middle of December.

DSC_0339.JPG

DSC_0335.JPG

DSC_0336.JPG

DSC_0327.JPG

DSC_0325.JPG

Back on ship, it was dinner and off to see the Headliner Show featuring GOS singers and dancers with “Rhythm and Rhyme”.  I’m not a big Broadway musical guy and didn’t recognize most of the songs, but the singers and dancers are very talented.  Next off to the Schooner bar, I really enjoyed sitting here listening to music and having a cocktail. 

Day 7-Nassau

I love sunrise and sunset at sea, so again I was up on deck to watch us sail into Nassau.  I had signed up for a tour through Cheryl’s Bahamas Taxi and Tours for a 3 hour Forts and Queen Staircase Tour.  She had told us where to meet our tour guide and the time.  Once off the ship we made our way through the port, after wandering around in circles for a few minutes, I finally asked for directions and we made it out of the port area and to our meeting place.  For those who have never been to Nassau the first challenge was finding how to get out of the port area.  I saw a closed man gate that was guarded and finally the second time around it was open and people were going thru.  The meeting spot was the water fountain; it’s to the left when you get out of the port gated area.  This spot is where several people picked up their tours.  Our guide was on time although he did have to make three loops around before he could pull over and stop long enough for us to get in.

DSC_0421.JPG

DSC_0418.JPG

DSC_0409.JPG

DSC_0404.JPG

DSC_0428.JPG

DSC_0430.JPG

DSC_0431.JPG

Our guide was friendly, polite and knowledgeable and his vehicle was clean.  We had booked the Forts and Queen’s Staircase tour; specifically I wanted to see Fort Montagu, Fort Fincastle, Fort Charlotte and also the Queen’s Staircase.  Our guide assured us we had plenty of time to see the forts and he wanted to show us a few other things also.  First stop was a rum cake bakery where we sampled rum cake and I did purchase one cake; next was “The Cloisters” our guide told us the story behind it and how it was maintained.  Many of the parks and such are sponsored by businesses on the island who maintain them.  

DSC_0438.JPG

DSC_0436.JPG

DSC_0443.JPG

DSC_0442.JPG

DSC_0439.JPG