MDR Dress Code?

JLMoran

So this was interesting. I was watching a review of Celebrity Summit by a YouTuber who goes by the name of Mr. Traveler. He and his wife sailed her for the first time last month (Nov. 2017 for those reading this 5 years from now), and among their list of cons was that there is actual enforcement of the dress code in the MDR!!! As in, if they see you in shorts (even nice linen ones like the reviewer was wearing), flip-flops, a polo shirt, or other not-listed clothing, they actually send you back to your room to change before allowing you to go in to dinner!

First off, let me be clear that for me is not a con, this is a tremendous pro. Sorry to stir up the dress code debate again, but if I'm sailing on a premium line and having dinner in an elegant main dining room, with food and service that are by every account top-notch, I'm dressing accordingly (minimum dress chinos and button down shirt; if Celebrity wants me to wear a tie and jacket with them than those shall be brought as well). I'd personally be really put off if after going to the effort myself, I found other passengers there who couldn't be bothered even though they also paid the same higher price for a premium line and experience.

So can anyone here who's sailed with Celebrity confirm that's the case, not just with Summit but across the fleet? And what is the full dress code for the non-formal nights in the MDR? Asking for a friend. ?

Celebrity dress code is pretty relaxed.  They don't even call it formal night. 

Seems like a cruise line not allowing shorts is on this tuber's 'con' list.

"Evening-Chic":

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/during-your-cruise/onboard-dress-code

Onboard Dress Code
Q.

What is the onboard dress code?

A.

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress
  • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

I've been on 2 Celebrity cruises last year (2018), one on Solstice (S class) (12 day Hawaii) the other on Infinity (M class) (5 day Western Caribbean).  On both cruises, I haven't noticed anyone turned away but I may have just not noticed.  I did not see anyone in the dining room not wearing 'unacceptable' clothing.  Both cruises had cruisers with an average age probably in the 60's which usually means they follow the rules better and dress up a little nicer than those on RCL.