Beds

HtownHolly

OK, so I'm a somewhat picky sleeper. The beds we had on the Navigator (ocean view, deck 2) were just way too hard, and I wound up sleeping propped up on the couch in the room (which led to morning sausage feet, but that went away after walking around for a few minutes). Are the mattresses the same on all the ships? We sail on the Harmony next Thanksgiving (balcony, deck 9), and I am hoping the mattresses are more uh... soft? Anyone ever bring their own mattress topper (or even an inflatable)? We'll be pulling the king apart into two twins, so wouldn't take much to pack an inflatable twin to stick on top, if need be. If not, maybe I can drag in one of those curved deck chairs and just sleep on the balcony (noticed they are comfy enough for me, and didn't make my feet puff up, when I fell asleep in one on the pool deck).

This was my only complaint about the trip. Gotta say, I was so happy to sleep horizontally when we got home yesterday. 10 days on a couch is not that great.

Just now, islandgrandma said:

I contact guest services about a month before departure date and ask for an extra mattress topper.  One has always been provided when I do this. 

OK that sounds like a good idea. Hopefully it's not just another one of those thin quilt-like mattress protectors they put on top of the mattress. That wouldn't make any difference, lol.

3 hours ago, HtownHolly said:

Hopefully it's not just another one of those thin quilt-like mattress protectors they put on top of the mattress.

The mattress topper that they are putting in the mattresses these days ARE just the quilted cover.  It does NOT help.  I have been asking them to please place 2 duvets on my mattress and that has been helping some.    The mattresses are awful though.

I was on Oasis earlier this month and I was in a JS and the beds in my opinion) were more comfortable then the beds in interior, balcony and Oceanview without balcony and Oceanview with balcony. 

9 hours ago, islandgrandma said:

I contact guest services about a month before departure date and ask for an extra mattress topper.   

You could also choose a suite when booking your next cruise. Suites have more space then the cabins in the categories that are lower then the suites category.

9 hours ago, HtownHolly said:

Hopefully it's not just another one of those thin quilt-like mattress protectors they put on top of the mattress.

The mattress toppers in the interior, Oceanview and balcony cabins is thin and quilted where as the mattress toppers in the suites is quilted thicker then the toppers in the other categories. 

Extra mattress toppers will be under sheet set when the bed is made up on the day of embarkation (the day when you board the ship). When the twin beds (in any cabin type) are pulled apart there will be one mattress topper folded in half on each bed. 

I believe the mattresses vary because we were in a Junior Suite on Navigator and hubby and I both thought the bed was great.  I have sleep issues but loved it so much on the Navigator.  I do realize that the movement of the ship also helps me sleep but the bed was great also.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

...and we were on NAV a couple of months ago (Owners Suite) and that bed was as hard as a rock.  I think it’s just hit or miss.

I agree.  We have stayed in Grand Suites on 8 or more cruises and I started asking for the extra topper on our second GS cruise.  Now my husband has back problems caused by his spine and age so I will always ask for one instead of risking getting a too hard bed.

I have to agree that they vary, we were on a cruise on Vision of the Seas and that one had the hardest mattress we have ever had.  We are both side sleepers and it was so hard that we were actually taking Benadryl to help us get to sleep.  We did not know about the mattress toppers at that time but I can assure you that if we ever encounter that again we will ask! That was the one and only cruise that they we have had any issues with the beds. 

We have solved the hard mattress issue two ways. 

First -  we roll up a 3" mattress topper as tight as we can get it and tie it together.  Stuff it in a suitcase and fill the rest of that suitcase with whatever else we are taking.  This requires 2 large suitcases for most trips.  BUT - the comfort of the softer mattress is worth it.  Just remember to take it off of the bed when you come home.

Second - if we are flying and can only check one bag - we ask the room steward for 10 extra pillows.  We put them under the sheet and remake the bed.  We have a "pillow-top" mattress literally!!!  

0004.JPG

On 12/31/2018 at 11:54 AM, HtownHolly said:

OK that sounds like a good idea. Hopefully it's not just another one of those thin quilt-like mattress protectors they put on top of the mattress. That wouldn't make any difference, lol.

Thanks ?

We had to get a mattress topper on the Radiance; however, it was a quilted type which was NOT soft at all.  Our Cabin steward said that was all they had.  The mattress was the only thing we had to complain about on our Alaska cruise.

18 hours ago, ranchlady403 said:

We have solved the hard mattress issue two ways. 

First -  we roll up a 3" mattress topper as tight as we can get it and tie it together.  Stuff it in a suitcase and fill the rest of that suitcase with whatever else we are taking.  This requires 2 large suitcases for most trips.  BUT - the comfort of the softer mattress is worth it.  Just remember to take it off of the bed when you come home.

Second - if we are flying and can only check one bag - we ask the room steward for 10 extra pillows.  We put them under the sheet and remake the bed.  We have a "pillow-top" mattress literally!!!  

0004.JPG

Or both! Haha, good job :)

On 1/1/2019 at 11:54 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am in the minority here but we love the beds on RC ships!  The firm mattress works well for us. Can’t wait to try out the Duxiana ones that many rave about!

I'm also must be in the minority, I never sleep as well at home as I do on a cruise ship.

If the mattresses are that much nicer in the Star Loft Suite I may never get out of bed.

Our bed on the Rhapsody last month in an ocean view was so hard that I couldn’t sleep the first night. Our stateroom attendant put 4 duvets under the bottom sheet and it provided minimal comfort. By day 5, my hip flexors were screaming since I’m a side sleeper. We met some people who had packed an air mattress and we are considering the same the next time we cruise in July on Liberty in a JS. 

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...