Earliest flight out of Houston

svinot

Ah, no. I wouldn't cut it that close. Even leaving from Hobby (the airport on the south side of town), it would take about 45 minutes to get to the airport from Galveston with minimal traffic (by taxi/car... dunno about any kind of bus or coach). Plus, snags happen. I'd build in a bit more cushion than that... especially if they fly out of IAH, which is another hour north from Hobby.

I always book afternoon flights in Houston because fog can also be an issue there often.  On a clear day I made it to Hobby airport by 9am and had to hang around waiting for my afternoon flight several hours.  That was one of those 'stars aligned just right' days.  It's never wise to count on that but if it does that's great.  

On 12/31/2018 at 12:26 PM, svinot said:

Yes we will be leaving out of Galveston. They would leave October 6th. Just wondering if they could make an 11:15 flight or if they should plan for a later flight. 

Fog risk in early October is pretty low. The oppressive summer heat doesn't break until later in October.  Fog is most prevalent in December/January in Galveston.  If the ship arrives on time and you do self-assist disembarkation you should be able to get a taxi by 8:00 am.  If flying out of Houston Hobby (HOU) it's about a 45 minute drive.  If flying out of Houston Intercontinental (IAH) it's about a 1 hour and 15 minute drive.  That assumes no traffic.  Flying out of Hobby should be ok if the ship arrives on time (pretty likely) and traffic cooperates (pretty likely on a Sunday morning).  Flying from Intercontinental can also work if everything goes right, but it's cutting it a bit close because you have to get to the other side of Houston.

Plus TXDOT is notorious for deciding to make pretty major construction projects start at the drop of a hat, and they rarely go as scheduled. They tore up Loop 610  south at 45 for about 3 months this past summer - it was like they didn't want ANYONE driving to  or from Galveston, with how it impacted traffic (alternate routes were already torn up - like I-10 east at the Beltway, and 288 at the south loop... it was horrible).