Boldly Go... Star Trek the Cruise IV

If I am not mistaken previous Star Trek themed cruises have been on Norwegian. So I am much more likely to go now as a big Star Trek fan and a Royal fan. But it is very expensive.

Interesting that they are offering Single cabins. Do they have single cabins currently on the Explorer? I guess this must be right after the Royal Amplified Project? 

Yes was Norwegian previously.  First Pearl then Jade.  First cruise sold out in record time (I was on this one).  Second year they did two and struggled to book both.  Third is pretty well booked but took them all year to book it.

The 2020 cruise is Voyager themed and I am a huge Voyager fan and a huge Royal fan.  Might be worth the YOLO move...

18 hours ago, Oliver said:

Interesting that they are offering Single cabins. Do they have single cabins currently on the Explorer? I guess this must be right after the Royal Amplified Project? 

Insert obvious “science fiction loner in the basement” comment here.

11 hours ago, Larry Muster said:

Anyone know if any of my current perks (Diamond) will be offered on this cruise?  Also will I still earn points for the nights I stay?  I may be doing it solo but in a standard room so would be expecting to earn double points.

I have never been on a theme cruise before but I have read that the standard loyalty amenities do not apply on these types of cruises.  I hope (for your sake) that I am wrong.

3 hours ago, ScooterScott22 said:

Insert obvious “science fiction loner in the basement” comment here.

Funny AND true.  When I booked the first cruise I called within 24 hours of the announcement and all the solo rooms were taken.  The agent actually said they all sold out within the first few hours.

I do cruise solo a couple of times per year.  For the people watching alone I will go promenade double points or not.  

1 hour ago, Larry Muster said:

For the people watching alone I will go promenade double points or not.  

Are these things sort of a floating mini-con? Do a lot of the passengers cosplay while on board? (or on excursions!)

I might almost pay to see a bartender’s reaction to their first Klingon cosplayer who storms up to the bar, slams his fist down, and orders a shot of something in Klingon. ?

9 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Are these things sort of a floating mini-con? Do a lot of the passengers cosplay while on board? (or on excursions!)

I might almost pay to see a bartender’s reaction to their first Klingon cosplayer who storms up to the bar, slams his fist down, and orders a shot of something in Klingon. ?

I haven’t been before but I’m pretty sure they answer is yes to both questions ?

7 hours ago, JLMoran said:

More people dress up than do not.  I am a casual fan and have a T-shirt or two with a StarTrek theme but that’s it.  I felt a tiny bit out of place dressed as a civilian human.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would love to go on one of those but WOW that pricing is not budget friendly, I know there are a lot of expenses involved in them booking the guests, venues on board, etc and they are in it to make some money as well so it may be fair pricing but still high for a cruise / Star Trek convention.

My Star Trek fan dreams came true in 2016 when I won two of 500 tickets to a private Star Trek fan event held at Paramount Studios in Hollywood. It was to promote Star Trek Beyond and Star Trek's 50th anniversary. It was in May 2016 and the stars of the film as well as producer JJ Abrams and director Justin Lin were all there as well as an entire soundstage of costumes and props from the film. We were given a swag bag that included limited edition numbered posters, custom t shirts, champagne, etc, etc. Best of all we were given "golden tickets" inviting us to the world premiere of Star Trek Beyond two months later in San Diego. The world's first outdoor IMAX premeire. So of course I had to fly back to California again from Nashville for that! LOL!!

On 12/31/2018 at 10:37 PM, Larry Muster said:

Anyone know if any of my current perks (Diamond) will be offered on this cruise?  Also will I still earn points for the nights I stay?  I may be doing it solo but in a standard room so would be expecting to earn double points.

I believe you don't get the perks, but you still get the points you otherwise would.  And the packages typically available (i.e. drink packages) don't typically get offered, so expect to pay an upcharge for all of your Blood Wine & Raktajinos.