Ovation in Alaska?

23 hours ago, Nicolas LaBarre said:

Has anyone been on Ovation of the Seas? Looking into the May 13th sailing on her with the family.

We will be on that sailing, so haven’t been on yet but have done a lot of research.  Looks like the biggest “change” for the ship, from what is out there in the inter-webs, is the switch from Kung fu Panda to Johnny Rockets.  But I haven’t seen any updates on that thread lately.

On 12/30/2018 at 10:34 AM, ScooterScott22 said:

We will be on that sailing, so haven’t been on yet but have done a lot of research.  Looks like the biggest “change” for the ship, from what is out there in the inter-webs, is the switch from Kung fu Panda to Johnny Rockets.  But I haven’t seen any updates on that thread lately.

We said YOLO BOOK IT and did it! Ovation here we come!

I live in the Seattle area, so I thought it would be a cheaper cruise to price out since I wouldn't have to fly..... Nope

It is cheaper for me to fly my family of 5 down to Florida and stay in an Ultra spacious Balcony on Symphony in February than it is to stay in my back yard and do an Ovation summer cruise in the cheapest rooms available.

Bummer cause I'd like to try Ovation

1 hour ago, JasonL said:

I live in the Seattle area, so I thought it would be a cheaper cruise to price out since I wouldn't have to fly..... Nope

It is cheaper for me to fly my family of 5 down to Florida and stay in an Ultra spacious Balcony on Symphony in February than it is to stay in my back yard and do an Ovation summer cruise in the cheapest rooms available.

Bummer cause I'd like to try Ovation

I can't wait to retire out your way - but clearly not for cruising (although I'm pretty happy on ferries, too).  We're in land locked Minnesota now, so there are no bargains no matter where we want to cruise.  But we're still doing Ovation next June because we love Seattle and Alaska so much. We have 2 Caribbean cruises booked, but I'm concerned we'll be too hot!  :)

On 1/5/2019 at 1:32 AM, SpeedNoodles said:

I can't wait to retire out your way - but clearly not for cruising (although I'm pretty happy on ferries, too).  We're in land locked Minnesota now, so there are no bargains no matter where we want to cruise.  But we're still doing Ovation next June because we love Seattle and Alaska so much. We have 2 Caribbean cruises booked, but I'm concerned we'll be too hot!  ?

Someday we will do Alaska!  I will be very interested to know if the bigger ship works well or if the smaller ones are fine,  I look forward to your comparisons since it looks like you have been to Alaska a lot!  Jane

Just now, mom2mybugs said:

Someday we will do Alaska!  I will be very interested to know if the bigger ship works well or if the smaller ones are fine,  I look forward to your comparisons since it looks like you have been to Alaska a lot!  Jane

I'm looking forward to seeing how I feel about it, too  - although I think ANY ship to Alaska is a great choice!  But I'm sure I won't shut up about it when the time comes :)

Just now, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how I feel about it, too  - although I think ANY ship to Alaska is a great choice!  But I'm sure I won't shut up about it when the time comes ?

Awesome!   I’m currently living through others cruises!  We won’t get to Alaska til at least 2021 or 22 at the earliest.  I can’t complain though since I will do Greek/med on vision this summer!  Jane

13 hours ago, Nicolas LaBarre said:

Trying to plan out a strategy for booking entertainment and dining. On a cruise out of Vancouver when do you think it will start to become "scenic"?

There is nearly always the possibility of seeing marine life such as whales as long as its daylight.  Unlike a Caribbean cruise where soon after leaving port is is just an endless ocean around you, the reverse its true for Alaska cruises - there is typically some land to be seen and scenery.  

Cruises out of Seattle do have some ocean time the first day or two but that is also prime whale watching time.  It's not like they are constantly around you, you just never know when a pod of whales might come into sight.  Some of my best pictures came from hanging around outside while others where in bars and theaters missing it all.  In that sense I place much less emphasis on trying to catch the shows on Alaska cruises.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

There is nearly always the possibility of seeing marine life such as whales as long as its daylight.  Unlike a Caribbean cruise where soon after leaving port is is just an endless ocean around you, the reverse its true for Alaska cruises - there is typically some land to be seen and scenery.  

Cruises out of Seattle do have some ocean time the first day or two but that is also prime whale watching time.  It's not like they are constantly around you, you just never know when a pod of whales might come into sight.  Some of my best pictures came from hanging around outside while others where in bars and theaters missing it all.  In that sense I place much less emphasis on trying to catch the shows on Alaska cruises.  

On my first Alaskan cruise, during a sea day, we were in the MDR and suddenly a couple of the waiters started yelling "Dolphins! Dolphins!" - everyone ditched their tables and ran to the starboard side, where there was an ENORMOUS pod of White-Sided Dolphins, as far as we could see, swimming along with the ship. The crew there said they'd never seen it before - so you just never know what you'll encounter in Alaska!!

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2019 at 11:40 AM, Nicolas LaBarre said:

Trying to plan out a strategy for booking entertainment and dining. On a cruise out of Vancouver when do you think it will start to become "scenic"?

Mentioned that we will be on the same cruise an it will be our first to Alaska but my guess is the only non-scenic parts are when it is dark. With the days getting longer that will not be very much of the cruise.  ?

I was up in Vancouver for work and had an afternoon free so checked out Stanley Park and watched a couple ships sail out under the bridge.  So my guess it is pretty scenic right from the start.