Bidding for upgrades

37 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

I got the infamous email today.  OUr sailing is Feb 14th on Grandeur.  Now, let me ask, we are currently in an Owners Suite.  There is only one more place to go after that on Grandeur and it's the Royal Suite.  Do we really need 1110 square feet for two or us and to spend another $1300 (starting bid at $650 pp) and I'm sure there will be someone with a larger family that would take that. So I think we will stick with what we have!

We had a chance to RoyalUp on our recent Grandeur cruise too and I declined.  Once you're in a full suite, there are no real advantages other than bragging rights and a little extra real estate.  I wasn't willing to pay any more money for that.  As it turned out, the RS was already booked and did not open up so any bid would have been pointless anyway.  My guess is that suite doesn't normally become vacant.

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

I got the infamous email today.  OUr sailing is Feb 14th on Grandeur.  Now, let me ask, we are currently in an Owners Suite.  There is only one more place to go after that on Grandeur and it's the Royal Suite.  Do we really need 1110 square feet for two or us and to spend another $1300 (starting bid at $650 pp) and I'm sure there will be someone with a larger family that would take that. So I think we will stick with what we have!

I have friends in high places.

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

You need it!  It's got the best bathroom on the boat....and a piano...  ?

15 minutes ago, Bob_KY said:

I set sail February 24 on the AOS and just received the RoyalUp email today.  I have a guarantee JS and submtted bids on an OS, CLS, & GS.  I did go over the minimum bids.  We'll see where it lands.  Fingers crossed - hate to wait for an answer.

Good luck

28 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Does it matter whether you booked it directly with a TA or Royal as to whether or not you will get a chance to bid on an upgrade?

No.  I still can't get RCI marketing emails so I don't get the upgrade offers but in December I took my daughter with me on Navigator and she got the upgrade email so I used her email to bid.  We booked through a TA.  

So I am going on Allure March 17.  Today I received a royal up request.  I am currently in a Loft suite (sky) and thinking of upgrading to a Two bedroom aqua theater (star class).  If I win would I receive all the perks that go with star class (drink package, all the dining options)?  I’m happy with my current room but I have not bought drink packages yet.  .

4 hours ago, Ndfan89 said:

So I am going on Allure March 17.  Today I received a royal up request.  I am currently in a Loft suite (sky) and thinking of upgrading to a Two bedroom aqua theater (star class).  If I win would I receive all the perks that go with star class (drink package, all the dining options)?  I’m happy with my current room but I have not bought drink packages yet.  .

Yes

14 hours ago, Ndfan89 said:

Yes.  I know someone from another forum where they went from an OS to an A2 and they got star benefits.  IMO, the only time you lose is when going from a non-suite to a suite category because then you don't get the double points.

20 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I sail in 14 days. I haven't received my reject letter yet, even though every cabin other than interior have been sold out for at least a week.  But at least I can stop hoping, lol

I flew in to FLL on Saturday (1-12-2019) for a Sunday cruise, when I got off the plane and turned my phone on I had the rejection email. I didn't have it 2 hours earlier when I got on the plane.

• 2 weeks later...

I bid on an upgrade for my recently completed cruise way back in early Jan and never got another email from Royal about whether I had won.  I receive plenty of emails from royal, so it wasn't an issue of not getting it.  Even checked my spam.  Anyone else have this problem?

RCL started this program mainly I guess to maximize their revenue as any bushiness will do , therefor it is better for them to gain some money on upgrades than to leave rooms empty or give them as a free upgrade.

At the pas they were offering it by sending emails to people or calling them few days/week and offer them to pay for the upgrade , now they came with a better system. 

The answer to the question why not everyone are getting this offer is , to my opinion connected to the problematic that such upgrade system can present, for example: 10 years ago (maybe more) British Airways were very generous  with there upgrade system to the business class . many people that got status were upgraded few days before the flight, what happened was that many people that used to book  the expensive business class seat decided to gamble , book the economy seats and waited to be upgraded (which most of the time they were). BA so a drop in the revenue and change it to another system.

Same for RC , if many people will know they will get the upgrade for much less , they will tend to book a cheaper cabin and hope to be upgraded . By sending the offer to random people RCL are avoiding such issues in the future , as @Matt said if you want  the best chance to be in a suite/better cabin  , just book it ?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious.  How many of you who had an upgrade accepted offered more than the minimum to make an offer and if so ,  how much ( what percentage over?) the meter goes from weak to strong . 

of those who were bid rejected, how many bid just the minimum to get a bid in and how many went greater than the minimum and of so, by how much? There surely has  to be a data point here to determine what RC is looking for to say yes upgrade or no upgrade. 

Im curious as to whether most minimum bids are being rejected. 

• 3 months later...

I got an upgrade from js to owners suite with a bid at the high end of weak. Bid about 30 days before and got the upgrade about 5 days before sailing. Just before i got my email option to upgrade there were still suites available, when i got the email to do bid up i checked again and they had no suites left, I guess they may have taken them off before they offer bid up so you can't price check. Also noted all js and below had gone before the suites so guess they were in higher demand. Maybe that's why i got an upgrade if they had people on a waiting list for js and below but who knows? 

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, SusanHi93895280 said:

If I put a bid in does it still include our original booking terms, we all the drinks package included?

It shouldn't change any of the original booking terms or items purchased in the cruise planner unless you are switching out of a room such as a Boardwalk Balcony or a Central Park Balcony that includes special perks.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, artemis908 said:

we have a grand suite and bidded on a suite that's Star Class. If we happened to win and we already have booked the drinks package, would we get a refund?

Yes, you would get a refund.  If you learn of your upgrade in enough time you can take care of it yourself on the cruise planner.  Otherwise when you get on the ship your Genie can help get it taken care of for you.  

• 2 months later...