Has Sorrento's Pizza really gotten better?

Gisser

I'm sailing on Allure in a couple days and saw the blog had listed "improved Pizza" as one of the top 10 stories this year. Has it really improved noticeably? I'm not a Sorrento's hater (eat a lot of the stuff when I'm sailing) but would be pleased if they upped the quality a bit. Thanks!

In my opinion, Sorrento's is acceptable pizza.  Good for a snack or a quick "on the go" dinner.  Don't expect gourmet pizza, but I also wouldn't describe it as "marinara on cardboard".  Like most food items, it's a subjective judgement and my tastes might not be in line with yours or others.  Try it and let us know what you think.  

I haven't been on Allure since the whole pizza thing, but it seems like across the board from what I've heard things have improved. 

It still isn't world class pizza, but it tastes pretty good after running around in port all day or really late night after some abuse of the drink package. 

Putting it bluntly, pizza is just that ... pizza.  It's not gourmet, it's not cardboard. It's just "street food".  For those who have travelled to Italy, had the fortunate opportunity to try REAL authentic pizza. That is a total experience in itself. I'm from NY and IMO NY pizza is just mediocre. When I'm in Italy, you betcha bottom dollar or euro that I always have one. Yummy !!

Tid-bit history: Pizza goes back to ancient times in the Middle East where it originated. 

14 hours ago, KLA said:

I haven't been on Allure since the whole pizza thing, but it seems like across the board from what I've heard things have improved. 

It still isn't world class pizza, but it tastes pretty good after running around in port all day or really late night after some abuse of the drink package. 

Thanks. And I abuse that drink package as well LOL.

14 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Putting it bluntly, pizza is just that ... pizza.  It's not gourmet, it's not cardboard. It's just "street food".  For those who have travelled to Italy, had the fortunate opportunity to try REAL authentic pizza. That is a total experience in itself. I'm from NY and IMO NY pizza is just mediocre. When I'm in Italy, you betcha bottom dollar or euro that I always have one. Yummy !!

Tid-bit history: Pizza goes back to ancient times in the Middle East where it originated. 

New York Pizza is street food, especially when you can walk up to a window and they throw you a foldable slice. I wouldn't try walking and eating a slice of Lou Malnati's deep dish in Chicago though, that's not street food by any stretch. Sorrento's has always been known as a base level, I was simply wondering if they did something different now since RCCL has publicly stated they were going to make it better.

We were on the Freedom in late Oct.  The pizza was better than previous versions.  You are never going to get Chicago Deep Dish or New York Thin.  But for a quick snack or kids it will do.

FWIW our waiter at Chops was being paid outside his normal shifts to survey people's impressions of the improved pizza.  At least they are trying to improve and measure the results.

Well I Started The Year With Well Bad/Okay Pizza On The Freedom OTS In April. The Pizza On The Freedom Was Never The Same. Sometimes It Was Good. Sometimes Was Awful. Skip A Few Months Till July. Then I Went On The Mariner And Well I Was Afraid To Try The Pizza Because I Was Afraid The Pizza Will Be Terrible. Then On The Oasis In October The Pizza Was Always The Same. The Pizza On The Oasis Was So Good. So I Think The Pizza Got Way Better.              

Our last cruise was the group cruise in June to Alaska, and while there wasn't officially a Sorrentos onboard the pizza there was actually quite a step up from what we had on Majesty in December.  I am far from being a pizza snob but what I will say is that I would have gladly paid a few bucks for a reasonable slice.  It was not the best that I have ever had but it was FAR from being the worst.  I would say that it was right at or a slight step above a good quality frozen pizza. 

I think the crust has improved quite a bit.  Previously it seemed a bit thin yet doughy/steamy - as if someone took my native St. Louis style out of the oven too soon.  Now the crust seems cooked longer and is more chewy.  Crust preference starts a lot of passionate discussion, but the latest offerings at least seem to belong to an established style and not just doughy.

We were on Allure two weeks ago and before that on the Symphony , If before I could not touch the Pizza now it became an option , its not the best (as the are using pre baked crust base) but the cheese has  a taste of a cheese  cheese and not blend plastic mix ...

With the right amount of Tabasco the pizza is not bad at all. 

I honestly sometimes go for Sorrento's instead of Windjammer or other dining venues on embarkation day. This worked really well on Mariner:

Board the ship early! After boarding, walk up one deck to the promenade and swing by Sorrento's for a slice or a sandwich or two. Or both. Then, continue walking to the other end of the promenade and use the less busy set of elevators to go straight up to the pool deck. Enjoy lunch poolside and relax without fighting for Windjammer space!