Lovetocruise2002

“Into the Unknown” … Independence OTS (Holiday sailing) – 12/29/2018-1/3/2019

7 minutes ago, Susie said:

How is it? Do you like it? My favorite Martini.😀

It was good. I normally prefer the French martini but this was very refreshing. 

4 minutes ago, KaB said:

Thanks for this blog! I'm normally a lurker and recall when you had your YOLO moment for this cruise. I've enjoyed following along. Especially peaking in on life in diamond lounge. I know what I want to be when I grow up 🤓

Lol. I just told two pinnacles in the elevator last night that I want to be like them! 😆

11 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It was good. I normally prefer the French martini but this was very refreshing. 

21 minutes ago, KaB said:

I like french martini too but not include with C&A Diamond ☹️ 

Cannot get Chambord with C&A Diamond Drinks.

48 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I just told two pinnacles in the elevator last night that I want to be like them

Uhh, the pinnacles I've encountered on past cruises are old, grey haired, very wrinkly skinned with walkers and scooters. You sure you want to be part of that crowd? (just kidding of course). :3_grin: 

28 minutes ago, rjac said:

Uhh, the pinnacles I've encountered on past cruises are old, grey haired, very wrinkly skinned with walkers and scooters. You sure you want to be part of that crowd? (just kidding of course). :3_grin: 

😆 If I can be grey haired and still cruising, I’ll take it! And these ones did not have walkers or scooters 😉

Dinner Night 5: 

Surprisingly the MDR line was not long at all and dinner only took an hour and fifteen minutes. The waiter we had tonight was probably the best we had the entire cruise. Too bad we only found him tonight.

B8E3FCAE-FAFA-48CA-B6F5-ECE302FEB94C.thumb.jpeg.76dd44306a3443255015e64594b0f3fd.jpeg

I am pretty done with MDR. The food was barely warm tonight. I was excited for the coconut shrimp and it was disappointing. Most of it wasn’t even breaded and you could barely taste the coconut.  Everything else was just average.

Coconut Shrimp:

9CAE9D69-7481-4FC2-87A9-842DDE0D0541.thumb.jpeg.01648b76cf7f40d0e09ea04df26d575f.jpeg

Caesar salad:

5106007D-742B-403B-896C-583F7B12A85A.thumb.jpeg.c052c29a58c9ec5567960a7bc0b7d8c4.jpeg

Fish & Chips:

5D51F250-3A32-476F-8FA1-7FF9BCD909BA.thumb.jpeg.37236612f6701131f1521419f3a8b14b.jpeg

Spaghetti Bolognese:

I thought of @Matt as I ate this.

9EB5B290-4FCF-402C-920C-E415D6FF00C2.thumb.jpeg.9d5a49abc65f044beda282ef09e74461.jpeg

Chocolate brownie:

40ACD759-0DF3-4522-8D43-6CA4565A4B71.thumb.jpeg.1dc83f63d48c3844a7fd560dc70109e2.jpeg

Cheesecake:

4F8989B1-EBA8-4A1C-AD71-1052092185B1.thumb.jpeg.5e07a844090cac6e5a637f6ece6e5efe.jpeg

Chocolate cake:

35DD22D9-DEBD-4916-BCDA-A50978C68B06.thumb.jpeg.80578ab5f2aad5c6d9a91e138072b286.jpeg

After dessert, our waiter mentioned the post cruise survey. I actually asked this time how we are suppose to answer that question, the one asking if you were approached or not by a crew member to give a good rating.  There have been some threads here around that topic.  He said he was not aware that there was a question like that, but he did say that they are encouraged by their supervisors and management to mention the survey and state that a good rating is important to them. 

After dinner, we went back to the Diamond lounge to say our goodbyes to Hailey. Of all the crew members that we encountered, she is the one that stands out the most, and the one that we will miss the most. Those who have Diamond lounge access and will be sailing Indy soon, please tell Hailey that Sabrina and family miss her.  She is headed back to Ovation after her contract ends on Indy.

Final Thoughts:

As I mentioned in a post by @twangster a few days ago, 2018 has been a great cruising year for us. After sailing mainly OA class for the last few years, we had a chance to revisit Voyager class and try out Quantum and Freedom Class.  I am, without a doubt, still an OA class girl.  There is simply no comparison.  Nothing comes close. My heart belongs to that class of ship. 

Indy is a great ship. Would I sail her again? Yes!  Will I? Maybe not. But that is because Hubby doesn’t like to sail the same ship in a short period of time. He already thought with this cruise that it was too similar to Mariner. So, we may not end up keeping our booking for next New Years. Time will tell.

Other than the MDR, I have no real complaints. The crew for the most part was friendly. The stateroom attendants seemed a bit overworked but they still took the time to acknowledge you while passing. The lines at the pool bars were long most days. The WJ crew was one of the friendliest I have encountered in a while on any cruise. Special shout out to the WJ “washy washy guys”. They turned that wash your hands song into a show every day. I will post a video when I get home. D12 has one on her device. 

The revitalization, IMO, was most definitely a step in the right direction. My kids loved the pools, sides, etc. and feedback from the Playmakers scope was that it is in a great location and is huge as a venue. The ship is showing her age in small areas like the chipped tiles and worn out chairs. I really wished they updated their furniture (couches and chairs) and curtains in the cabins. That really dates the ship. Like Mariner, only the newly added staterooms received new items.  But she was clean and functional for the most part. 

While I do not regret the stateroom that we booked, I did not care for it either. The additional space was nice but I completely hated the bathroom. For me that is a deal breaker. And I really missed not having a balcony. So for @WAAAYTOOO@bellemiche,  @Boston Babe, and anyone else wondering, I have not left the suite snob club. Hubby is out of luck. His plan did not work. 

Once again, thank you all so much for following along. Blogging is so much more fun when you all are with me. And for people wondering if that consumes too much of my vacation time, it does not. I just don’t read anymore on a cruise. I blog instead. I have plenty of time to read back at home. I consider this relaxing and enjoyable. 

That’s all for now. I will report back on the disembarkation process tomorrow. We have never had issues at Terminal 18 so hopefully that is the case again tomorrow.

The countdown is finally on for our next adventure, and possibly the best cruise of my entire life...

4BE8F049-0D42-4DCE-BB1C-EE01BFB16BB0.jpeg.20db3644080cfc8bd413084a11147273.jpeg

67 days to go!! It’s Genie time! Excited is an understatement. 

Disembarkation notes:

Sitting at FLL as I write this.

Lyft Plus to FLL $18.62

Ship to curb - 30min exactly.

Walking off the ship was a breeze. Same as every time we have disembarked from Port Everglades. Zero wait. The wait time came at customs. In the past, with suites, there is a separate area for suites customs. This morning I looked and there was not. Not that we would have qualified anyway this cruise, but basically that meant that everyone was passing through one area. Still not a bad wait but not as fast as previous cruises. We have done curb to ship in about 10-15min before at PE. 

Waiting for our flight back to DTW now. So far it’s on time. Our igloo awaits. 

Thanks again for following. You guys are awesome! 

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Waiting for our flight back to DTW now. So far it’s on time. Our igloo awaits. 

Great blog and congratulations on Periscoper of the Month!

I was going to suggest using the internet to turn the heat on back home but then realized... igloos don't have heat.  

10 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Final Thoughts:

As I mentioned in a post by @twangster a few days ago, 2018 has been a great cruising year for us. After sailing mainly OA class for the last few years, we had a chance to revisit Voyager class and try out Quantum and Freedom Class.  I am, without a doubt, still an OA class girl.  There is simply no comparison.  Nothing comes close. My heart belongs to that class of ship. 

Really loved your review, and great to hear your perspective on the different ships (esp as we just sailed Mariner and Indy too).  

I'm the same and really love Oasis class.  DH favorite cruise so far though is the Mariner..as he prefers the size.  And true, Mariner and Indy are very similar (at least different shows).  Wondering what you thought of Quantum class?  We have Anthem booked as well in 2020.

We loved the Washy Washy song and the guys singing it.  Also noticed the crew wiping down the stair railings so really trying to limit sicknesses in any way they can.

Am sorry you were disappointed in your room.  Can see you missing the balcony and finding the bathroom downgrade difficult.  Good to try at least and now you know.

Are you going to do one for Harmony?  If so, would love to read it.  We'll be on Symphony when you are on Harmony, but have Harmony booked for future March break.  Looks like an amazing ship!  March will be here before you know it.

11 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Wondering what you thought of Quantum class?  We have Anthem booked as well in 2020.

There should be a link to my Anthem blog at the bottom where my signature is. 

And I will most definitely blog Harmony. However, I am not sure how comprehensive that blog will be since we will have a different experience on that one. There are several really good live blogs here on Harmony. Scroll through the live blog section, there are good ones by @twangster, @ellcee, and @melski94 that I can think of from memory right now. 

I would love to know your thoughts on Symphony after March as we sail her in July.  

I just discovered this blog. We were on the same Indy sailing Dec 29 - 3 Jan. Very interested in your experience. I will probably book the same trip and same ship for 2019 since we loved it.

Thanks for sharing.  It was fun to see a ship that we were just on from a different perspective.  My DD7 was just asking about when we were going back on Indy as she wants the sky pad again. We couldn't make reservations for that over Thanksgiving so I had to use my WDW skills to have little wait.   Now I'm considering Indy over NYE.  We'll see as I have a list of cruises and I am not sure if I should book a land vacation so my spoiled family can really appreciate a cruise again!