“Into the Unknown” … Independence OTS (Holiday sailing) – 12/29/2018-1/3/2019

Lovetocruise2002

10 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Final Thoughts:

As I mentioned in a post by @twangster a few days ago, 2018 has been a great cruising year for us. After sailing mainly OA class for the last few years, we had a chance to revisit Voyager class and try out Quantum and Freedom Class.  I am, without a doubt, still an OA class girl.  There is simply no comparison.  Nothing comes close. My heart belongs to that class of ship. 

Really loved your review, and great to hear your perspective on the different ships (esp as we just sailed Mariner and Indy too).  

I'm the same and really love Oasis class.  DH favorite cruise so far though is the Mariner..as he prefers the size.  And true, Mariner and Indy are very similar (at least different shows).  Wondering what you thought of Quantum class?  We have Anthem booked as well in 2020.

We loved the Washy Washy song and the guys singing it.  Also noticed the crew wiping down the stair railings so really trying to limit sicknesses in any way they can.

Am sorry you were disappointed in your room.  Can see you missing the balcony and finding the bathroom downgrade difficult.  Good to try at least and now you know.

Are you going to do one for Harmony?  If so, would love to read it.  We'll be on Symphony when you are on Harmony, but have Harmony booked for future March break.  Looks like an amazing ship!  March will be here before you know it.

11 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Wondering what you thought of Quantum class?  We have Anthem booked as well in 2020.

There should be a link to my Anthem blog at the bottom where my signature is. 

And I will most definitely blog Harmony. However, I am not sure how comprehensive that blog will be since we will have a different experience on that one. There are several really good live blogs here on Harmony. Scroll through the live blog section, there are good ones by @twangster, @ellcee, and @melski94 that I can think of from memory right now. 

I would love to know your thoughts on Symphony after March as we sail her in July.  

Thanks for sharing.  It was fun to see a ship that we were just on from a different perspective.  My DD7 was just asking about when we were going back on Indy as she wants the sky pad again. We couldn't make reservations for that over Thanksgiving so I had to use my WDW skills to have little wait.   Now I'm considering Indy over NYE.  We'll see as I have a list of cruises and I am not sure if I should book a land vacation so my spoiled family can really appreciate a cruise again!

5 hours ago, bellemiche said:

Thanks for sharing! Enjoy your last few days off! ?

Must you remind me???

5 hours ago, melski94 said:

We couldn't make reservations for that over Thanksgiving so I had to use my WDW skills to have little wait.  

If it was like our sailing, the reservations would not have mattered.

Ok...won't remind you about school starting in a few days because I'm in denial  (I spent all day in my jammies today lol and still don't have my teacher thank you notes done!).  You will be on harmony just 2 weeks before I go on my first oasis trip.  Your experience will be totally different (because we will never manage a suite) and yet the same (oasis class will be amazing I hope!)!  Can't wait to hear all about your next trip.  I always feel guilty because I don't get voom on the ship and when I get home, I don't have time to blog!  But I absolutely love reading about everyone's experiences and I send a huge thank you for keeping me happy reading as I was driving through a Nebraska snowstorm!  Jane

21 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

However, I am not sure how comprehensive that blog will be since we will have a different experience on that one.

But that's the best thing about these blogs. We can have the same set up but different experiences. I love it. I love reading everyone's blogs whether or not I've read others on the same ship. I love all of your perspectives.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 12:14 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That's a LONG flowrider line!  Indy was my first time on a flowrider-  We have been booking adjacent rooms on our last few trips -  once in a junior suite, Coastal Kitchen alone made the junior suite worth it, and the 1.5 bathrooms, and coffee maker, and padded furninture....  I think having two bathrooms is better for our family mid or aft.  We agree, the MDR is inconsistent, and Diamond happy hour can be an entire meal. ?

• 1 month later...

I loved reading this blog! Great job!

We will be sailing on Indy in Nov. 2019. We have been on Freedom before & loved it!

Quick question, Did the king size bed have a pad/memory foam topper? Freedom did, but Enchantment did not. 

We will be in a cat 1R room (spacious Interior). I'm a little nervous because we've always had a OV or balcony, but for the amazing price we got, I think we'll survive! We have 3 boys and I am excited about the extra space. 

• 9 months later...
36 minutes ago, vsorhegui said:

I’m sailing this exact cruise with my family for New Years this year. Do you remember how many formal nights there were? I went on the Independence back in March for spring break and I believe there was only one formal night but was curious if they do two because of New Years. This was a super helpful post thread!

There was only one as it was a 5 night.  The formal night was NYE.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:24 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

At noon we went to watch the Belly Flop by the pool and I was once again reminded of how much better it is to watch at the Aqua Theatre on OA class ships. Some might disagree but the crowds at one small pool, no instant replay, not broadcasted on the big screen, make it for a less enjoyable experience. I actually hate watching belly flop on non-OA class ships but Hubby and the girls wanted to go. The girls and I left halfway through as it was too frustrating for both kids to see beyond the crowds. Jamie (CD) was excellent again at this event. 

I am a little confused...why was there no instant replay?

TBH..this was one thing we didn't enjoy about OA class.....the sexy man......belly flop...woman's cannon ball were held at the sports pool.....which was crowded and NO instant replay which is usually a lot of fun to watch.

I much prefer these on Freedom class ships(or any othr class actually) as there is way more room around the pool as well as the surrounding deck above PLUS the instant replay on the screen poolside. OA is missing in this area.....imho.

2 hours ago, monctonguy said:

I am a little confused...why was there no instant replay?

TBH..this was one thing we didn't enjoy about OA class.....the sexy man......belly flop...woman's cannon ball were held at the sports pool.....which was crowded and NO instant replay which is usually a lot of fun to watch.

I much prefer these on Freedom class ships(or any othr class actually) as there is way more room around the pool as well as the surrounding deck above PLUS the instant replay on the screen poolside. OA is missing in this area.....imho.

Not sure why there wasn't.  Perhaps it is left up to the CD and their staff?  I hate that they moved it to the sports pool on Oasis class ships.  When we sailed Allure in 2016 and Harmony in 2017, they hosted it in the Aqua Theater.  When we returned to Harmony is 2019, it was at the sports pool.  I don't even bother going when it's there.