Uber or rental

tdcackler

So, need to tap the collective wisdom of those in the Miami / Fort Lauderdale area. We are flying into FLL for our cruise in February because it is much cheaper than MIA. But, we are sailing on the newly AMP'ed Navigator out of POM the next day. Car rental for a one way is about $60 (and booked). Priced out Uber using their estimator and it's about $20 to our hotel (just far enough away to not offer a shuttle, but MUCH cheaper) and then another $40-$50 to POM the next day.

Uber would be a lot easier as we wouldn't need to deal with returning the car to MIA and taking the shuttle out to the port. But, my concern is finding an uber that would take us from FLL area to POM (looks like a bit of a haul). Anyone with any experience in using Uber/Lyft in this area? Would this be a tough ride to find? I'm ok with using the rental, just looking to make things easier on embarkation day with my two boys, while trying to save some cash for our next UDP.

Thanks!

To answer your actual question, I don't think it will be that big of an issue to get Uber to take you, last year I went from FLL to Miami airport and it was a 45 minute drive.

I was faced with the exact situation, I sail out of POM on January 13th on Allure, but because of flight prices I'm flying in to FLL on the 12th, it was about $150 PP cheaper (First class), flying out of Miami after the cruise. My flight arrives around 2pm on the 12th.

What I choose to do was hire a limo and drive to Miami on the 12th when I arrive and stay in a Miami hotel (Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, you can see the port from the hotel) and  then take Uber the morning of the 13th to the terminal. There are a lot of other hotels that Matt has highlighted in the blog around the port in Miami. The limo for 2 people was $80, I took a step up and reserved a Luxury limo, there were cheaper options. I went this route because I don't like big bus transfers and I don't like Taxi's, admittedly I forgot about Uber. The name of the limo service to "goairportshuttle". I have used them 2 other times in Florida and had no issues with them or their service.

I'm sure you'll be fine finding an Uber/Lyft to PoM.  I would suggest you look up the terminal for your ship and enter that in the app.  

You can look up terminals here:  https://seaport2.miamidade.gov/dailydock/Default.aspx

Once you know the terminal letter, enter that such "terminal g port of ..." and then it usually finds it in the Uber/Lyft app.  This way your driver will take you directly to that terminal, which can be helpful if you end up with a Spanish speaking driver and you don't speak Spanish.  That sometimes happens in the South Florida area.  If you just say "port of Miami" it will find the administration offices which isn't where your terminal is.  

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

To answer your actual question, I don't think it will be that big of an issue to get Uber to take you, last year I went from FLL to Miami airport and it was a 45 minute drive.

I was faced with the exact situation, I sail out of POM on January 13th on Allure, but because of flight prices I'm flying in to FLL on the 12th, it was about $150 PP cheaper (First class), flying out of Miami after the cruise. My flight arrives around 2pm on the 12th.

What I choose to do was hire a limo and drive to Miami on the 12th when I arrive and stay in a Miami hotel (Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, you can see the port from the hotel) and  then take Uber the morning of the 13th to the terminal. There are a lot of other hotels that Matt has highlighted in the blog around the port in Miami. The limo for 2 people was $80, I took a step up and reserved a Luxury limo, there were cheaper options. I went this route because I don't like big bus transfers and I don't like Taxi's, admittedly I forgot about Uber. The name of the limo service to "goairportshuttle". I have used them 2 other times in Florida and had no issues with them or their service.

46 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm sure you'll be fine finding an Uber/Lyft to PoM.  I would suggest you look up the terminal for your ship and enter that in the app.  

You can look up terminals here:  https://seaport2.miamidade.gov/dailydock/Default.aspx

Once you know the terminal letter, enter that such "terminal g port of ..." and then it usually finds it in the Uber/Lyft app.  This way your driver will take you directly to that terminal, which can be helpful if you end up with a Spanish speaking driver and you don't speak Spanish.  That sometimes happens in the South Florida area.  If you just say "port of Miami" it will find the administration offices which isn't where your terminal is.  

Thanks to both of you. My Uber experience is fairly limited and wasn't sure if drivers were reluctant to to travel from one end to the city to the other like that.

2 hours ago, tdcackler said:

my concern is finding an uber that would take us from FLL area to POM

This is a non-issue.  I take Uber/Lyft from my home about 40 mins north of FLL to MIA and PortMiami - trips that are over an hour.  South Florida is dense, but not as vertical as other cities, and has no significant mass-transit options, so long drives around here aren't nearly as uncommon as in other metropolitan areas.

I'd really avoid renting a car, you'll just lose a lot of time to logistics and I don't think there is anything to gain in your particular scenario.  If you end up not wanting to use a ride-share service, I'd hire a car service.

When you arrive at FLL you'll follow the signs to the nearest ride-share/commercial vehicle pickup area.  There are two, and they're well positioned so it's never more than a minute's walk at most once you're outside.  You can find pics of the signage and other Uber/Lyft tips for cruisers in S FL here: https://www.cruisehabit.com/uber-lyft-cabs-shuttles-how-get-and-your-cruise-easily-cheaply

I will tell you that if you're sailing out of Terminal A, they should have made the pickup area much larger and changed when the lanes converge, so after your cruise walk all the way to the end of the pickup area before requesting a ride, and note the number of the post.

Just now, monorailmedic said:

This is a non-issue.  I take Uber/Lyft from my home about 40 mins north of FLL to MIA and PortMiami - trips that are over an hour.  South Florida is dense, but not as vertical as other cities, and has no significant mass-transit options, so long drives around here aren't nearly as uncommon as in other metropolitan areas.

Good to know. We do plan on renting a car post cruise because we won't fly back until the next day and we MUST go to see Miami-Homestead Speedway as one of my sons (and, myself as well) are obsessed with NASCAR. Probably won't make it to a race here, but it's worth a stop to see at least. And we'll want the freedom to visit the area as well. But I think we'll do Uber on the front end to make it easier with the family.

32 minutes ago, tdcackler said:

Probably won't make it to a race here, but it's worth a stop to see at least.

Not too much around there of interest, but do check out Knauss Berry Farms while in that area.  Great produce (esp the strawberries), fresh milkshakes, and awesome baked goods (people travel for hours for their cinnamon buns and pecan rolls).
http://www.knausberryfarm.com/location.html

Coral Castle could be another neat stop around there as well.
https://coralcastle.com/

You may want to hit Key Largo since you're venturing that far south, too.

The biggest issue I’ve ever had with UBER is when I am one of the first ones off the ship.  The UBER’s that are all queued up sit and wait to activate themselves until surge pricing goes into effect so getting a ride can take a while.  Once the closest ride they found for me was over 15 minutes away.  

4 hours ago, monorailmedic said:

Not too much around there of interest, but do check out Knauss Berry Farms while in that area.  Great produce (esp the strawberries), fresh milkshakes, and awesome baked goods (people travel for hours for their cinnamon buns and pecan rolls).
http://www.knausberryfarm.com/location.html

Coral Castle could be another neat stop around there as well.
https://coralcastle.com/

You may want to hit Key Largo since you're venturing that far south, too.

Thanks for that tip! 

4 hours ago, Larry Muster said:

The biggest issue I’ve ever had with UBER is when I am one of the first ones off the ship.  The UBER’s that are all queued up sit and wait to activate themselves until surge pricing goes into effect so getting a ride can take a while.  Once the closest ride they found for me was over 15 minutes away.  

I can't speak to your specific experience, but something I learned from a friend of a friend who picked up some work for Lyft a while back was that for certain airports (and not sure if cruise terminals are like this as well), they require drivers stage in certain areas.  This is largely b/c of the laws worked out with local authorities that allow only cabs to be in the cab lines.  This means to pick up an airport fare, the driver may be required to be a bit of a hike away.  It may not be geographically far - but you know how airport traffic can be.

7 hours ago, twangster said:

I found Terminal A listed on Lyft, but Uber couldn't seem to find it.  It had other terminals.  Odd.  But great tips here!!!!!

On 12/24/2018 at 5:00 PM, monorailmedic said:

I can't speak to your specific experience, but something I learned from a friend of a friend who picked up some work for Lyft a while back was that for certain airports (and not sure if cruise terminals are like this as well), they require drivers stage in certain areas.  This is largely b/c of the laws worked out with local authorities that allow only cabs to be in the cab lines.  This means to pick up an airport fare, the driver may be required to be a bit of a hike away.  It may not be geographically far - but you know how airport traffic can be.

Both Uber and Lyft let me pick Terminal 4 at FLL, so I would assume they are ok to pick up.

5 hours ago, tdcackler said:

Both Uber and Lyft let me pick Terminal 4 at FLL, so I would assume they are ok to pick up.

They can absolutely pick up there - I'm just talking about where they can stage.  Cabs are allowed to line up at the airport pickup area just waiting for a fare.  In at least some airports, Uber/Lyft have to wait outside the airport until they actually have a fare.

4 minutes ago, monorailmedic said:

They can absolutely pick up there - I'm just talking about where they can stage.  Cabs are allowed to line up at the airport pickup area just waiting for a fare.  In at least some airports, Uber/Lyft have to wait outside the airport until they actually have a fare.

Gotcha. Essentially a delay in picking up.