Miami port - arrival before checkin

HtownHolly

So we fly to Miami tomorrow morning, and arrive at the airport around 9:30. I figure we'll have 1.5 - 2 hours before we can check in at the ship. Don't want to really "explore" the area via ground transport and haul our luggage around for that timeframe, so... would it be better to kill time at the airport or at the terminal? Pretty sure we'll be hungry (getting up around 3:30 in Houston for our 6am flight - eek), so grabbing a bite would be nice.

Thanks. First time to Miami.

42 minutes ago, HtownHolly said:

Hm. The cruise summary I got indicated checkin between noon and 4pm.

For Miami that's just a suggestion.  No need to kill time at the airport.  Getting your baggage and navigating out of the airport to your port transportation method will take more than enough time.  Go ahead and just get to the terminal early you may very well find yourself on the ship well before that suggested noon checkin time!

9:30 arrival..be close to 10 by the time you get off and get your luggage...then an UBER/LYFT to the port will get you there about 10:30.....luggage drop off..security...check-in....close to 11 for sure.....by then they should be boarding..spend your time on the ship..you paid for that day..enjoy the drinks package and getting to know the ship before its full of ppl!

1 hour ago, HtownHolly said:

Hm. The cruise summary I got indicated checkin between noon and 4pm.

Those boarding times are suggestions, not requirements. I can tell you from extensive personal experience you can show up as early as 10am to check-in. Boarding usually begins sometime in the 11am hour.

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

hose boarding times are suggestions, not requirements. I can tell you from extensive personal experience you can show up as early as 10am to check-in. Boarding usually begins sometime in the 11am hour.

At 10 or 10:30 be prepared for large crowds outside of the terminal, at 10 people will still be getting off the ship when you are trying to get on. Look for anyone in a Royal uniform and ask, I consider myself a seasoned cruiser but sometimes when I show up at the terminal I get lost trying to weave in and out of the crowd to get to the main door.

If you can find a porter, grab one it well worth the $ tip to just give your bags to them. They know where they are going, then all you have to do is find the main entrance.

I agree with everyone else, there is no reason to wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all! Man, I am glad for porters. The rooms weren't ready until 1pm, and having to babysit our luggage for 3 hours would have been a PITA, haha. Terrific cruise - we already put a deposit down for Harmony for this next Thanksgiving. SO excited to see one of the big ships with the bells and whistles :)