Spring cruise on a budget

kevpeirce

Good morning, 

So the wife and I are looking to book another spring cruise and are working with a restricted budget again as well as limited to time when we could travel. We're restricted to going between January and May of 2019. Our original goal was to book a 7 night southern Caribbean out of San Juan as we liked the itinerary and have not been to any of the ports with the exception of St Maarten. The price on these cruises is good right now between $484 and $491 in March, however flights from PHL and EWR just aren't cooperating for that. Last spring we did the Eastern Caribbean and scored a great deal on Harmony over Presidents day. We somewhat ruled out Western Caribbean as most have 2 stops in Mexico and when we were there on our honeymoon in August of 2017 we were not overly impressed with it. This morning I've found a Western Caribbean out of Galveston that goes to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel on February 24th. This itinerary would be ok for us as we would get to see more than just Mexico. Also in our benefit for this is flights from PHL to IAH are just under $700 right now non stop for both of us. This would include flying down the day before and needing a hotel. Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels in that area? Anyone have any tips on other ways to save money on this? Also has anyone done this itinerary or sailed on Liberty and have suggestions of things to do or see? Unfortunately the live blogs the pictures are no longer there from what I could see.

11 minutes ago, kevpeirce said:

Also in our benefit for this is flights from PHL to IAH are just under $700 right now non stop for both of us.

If you can fly to Hobby airport it would be better logistically as far as getting to Galveston. I don't know how that will affect airline cost.

IAH is on the North side of the Houston metro area and would add about an hour to the drive time to Galveston (Time of day relative). Hobby is already on the South side of the metro area.

15 minutes ago, kevpeirce said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels in that area?

I have stayed at a Courtyard by Marriott in Galveston and really liked it. I drove to Galveston, so you would need to research transportation from the hotel to the port.

The itinerary is nice and Liberty is a great ship, you will lover her.

@mworkman being right across the bridge from Philly I'm not sure why I didn't consider this more,  both ate within 2 to 2 and a half hours away. I'm thinking seeing the price per person scared me off but saving on flights and a hotel the night before makes up for that. After being on Harmony I'm a little leery about going to granduer as opposed to Adventure or Anthem. What are adventure and anthem like crowd wise, harmony never felt crowded to us except around the pool on sea days? Service wise we've never had a problem on harmony or enchantment. Price wise they seem to be somewhat similar. One question I do have about anthem, is the north star included? I apologize in advance for any grammar or spelling mistakes in this as I've done this from my phone. 

@kevpeirce. I saw you were looking at PHL-SJU, not sure where you live but did you check BWI? Southwest flies to SJU from there.  I just booked the Anthem so again @JLMoran can help you with that.  I've been on Grandeur and am heading back on her this February.  I think going from Harmony to Grandeur you might be disappointed.  We like her as we are a bit older, just love the staff, the ship and the size.  To know her is to love her, but certainly Anthem will offer more than what you were used to with Harmony.  

3 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

@kevpeirce. I saw you were looking at PHL-SJU, not sure where you live but did you check BWI? Southwest flies to SJU from there.  I just booked the Anthem so again @JLMoran can help you with that.  I've been on Grandeur and am heading back on her this February.  I think going from Harmony to Grandeur you might be disappointed.  We like her as we are a bit older, just love the staff, the ship and the size.  To know her is to love her, but certainly Anthem will offer more than what you were used to with Harmony.  

When are you going on Anthem?

Hi, @kevpeirce! I found the crowds on Anthem to mostly be good, with the big exception being when walking through The Via or The Royal Esplanade on decks 4 and 5. Whoever designed those needs a refresher course in designing for crowd flow, as they both have some bad choke points as you walk through the area. If there's any kind of merchandise sale going on in the open area then it gets even worse, as there's not enough room to have a decent flow around passengers who've stopped to look at the stuff on offer.

I can't compare Anthem to Harmony, but I gave a comparison to Freedom along with my general thoughts on the ship that you still might find useful:

6 minutes ago, Sweety said:

When are you going on Anthem?

Well, you know the situation here at home, so Jack wasn't sure about flying (again), we are booked on Equinox for Nov 2019, but decided as a backup to book Anthem too. It's for his birthday.  didn't cancel Equinox though, not yet.  BTW, Jack won $19.50 with Home dogs! LOL

Just now, Boston Babe said:

Well, you know the situation here at home, so Jack wasn't sure about flying (again), we are booked on Equinox for Nov 2019, but decided as a backup to book Anthem too. It's for his birthday.  didn't cancel Equinox though, not yet.  BTW, Jack won $19.50 with Home dogs! LOL

We have got to cruise together. Go Jack!

@Boston Babe I looked into BWI and EWR as alternates but the prices are still high or close enough to the same as PHL the drive would make up the savings. 

@JLMoran The crowds were one concern about Anthem as we have family friends who had sailed on Enchantment with us and they said it felt very crowded. Are there hallways on deck 4 and 5 to walk past the rooms versus walking through the main area? On Harmony at prime times we had done that to beat the crowds. In the review I'm a little confused about the MDR compared to Freedoms being designed differently, is there more than 1 restaurant included or is the MDR smaller to make room for more a la carte options? 

One other thing that slightly concerns me with sailing from the northeast in March or April is it could be 70 or it could be 20 snowing and blowing. How much of the travel time is spent in the cooler weather until it warms up? Is the solarium warm and usable during these times and does the solarium have a pool in it or just hot tubs? Our only real experience is from Harmony as Enchantment was a splurge trip booked 13 days before(since we got home from Jamaica and spent 8hrs 11pm to 7am at home and then right back for a flight to Orlando.) and with 11 other people on a 3 night cruise we just didn't have the time to get there. From what I've gathered Harmony is somewhat lacking in the solarium and we didn't spend much time if any there other then to go out on the wings.

Also FYI, if sailing from the northeast I'm between 2 itineraries, an 8 night Bahamas that stops in Orlando, Nassau, and CocoCay March 15th(or the 23rd for $12 more PP)  or a & night Bermuda and Boston cruise April 27th. Cold weather may be a down fall for Boston with the wife but I'd really like being able to explore the city a bit. The 8 night is currently $1600 and the 7 night is $1900, oddly enough the 8 night is advertised at $711pp and the 7 is $724pp. That difference would be about half of our drink package as we get one premium alcohol package for me and the regular deluxe for her.

16 minutes ago, kevpeirce said:

Also FYI, if sailing from the northeast I'm between 2 itineraries, an 8 night Bahamas that stops in Orlando, Nassau, and CocoCay March 15th(or the 23rd for $12 more PP)  or a & night Bermuda and Boston cruise April 27th. Cold weather may be a down fall for Boston with the wife but I'd really like being able to explore the city a bit. The 8 night is currently $1600 and the 7 night is $1900, oddly enough the 8 night is advertised at $711pp and the 7 is $724pp. That difference would be about half of our drink package as we get one premium alcohol package for me and the regular deluxe for her.

If cold weather is a deal breaker for you, then I would choose April 27th cruise.  You could lose 3-4 days on the March cruise due to cold weather or it could be great but there is no way to know for sure.  Plus March would mean lots of families with kids especially on Anthem as it is prime Spring Break time.

FYI, RC has only the deluxe drink package, refreshment package (non alcoholic) and the soda package now.  

4 minutes ago, melski94 said:

If cold weather is a deal breaker for you, then I would choose April 27th cruise.  You could lose 3-4 days on the March cruise due to cold weather or it could be great but there is no way to know for sure.  Plus March would mean lots of families with kids especially on Anthem as it is prime Spring Break time.

FYI, RC has only the deluxe drink package, refreshment package (non alcoholic) and the soda package now.  

I believe thats what we had in April, definitely had a mini heart attack thinking I'd need to pay for every drink, although without the 18% gratuity might be worth it.

33 minutes ago, kevpeirce said:

One other thing that slightly concerns me with sailing from the northeast in March or April is it could be 70 or it could be 20 snowing and blowing. How much of the travel time is spent in the cooler weather until it warms up? Is the solarium warm and usable during these times and does the solarium have a pool in it or just hot tubs?

On our 5-night Anthem sailing, which left in early October, we sailed out in 40-degree weather and had to wear our jackets while standing on our balcony during sailaway. By the time we woke up on the first sea day it was still a little chilly, but I was still roaming the ship in shorts and a t-shirt. Was definitely brisk on deck, especially all the way forward where the wind was crazy strong with how fast the ship was going, but not at all a problem inside.

The solarium is fully enclosed on Anthem, as she was designed for cold weather sailings. It's quite large -- there's a 3-tier waterfall-style pool inside, with two hot tubs on each side. Lots of loungers throughout, including a bunch right up by the windows if you want to enjoy the view. And it's always a very balmy 80-ish degrees in there; no problem being in your bathing suit or shorts and a t-shirt in there! This YouTube video from Jim Zimmerlin gives a great overview of the Solarium:

My wife and I spent an hour in the Solarium late at night on our last sea day, at which time the seas were rough and it was cold and rainy outside (it had been raining lightly in the morning, got progressively worse and colder as the day wore on). We were dry and toasty the whole time in the Solarium, and while we felt the ship moving with the waves they still had the hot tubs open (though the pool was closed, I think more because it was 10 PM than because of the motion in the ocean).

46 minutes ago, kevpeirce said:

Also FYI, if sailing from the northeast I'm between 2 itineraries, an 8 night Bahamas that stops in Orlando, Nassau, and CocoCay March 15th(or the 23rd for $12 more PP)  or a & night Bermuda and Boston cruise April 27th.

I agree with @melski94, do the April 27th sailing to Bermuda and Boston. For starters, it's Bermuda -- you will LOVE it there, and you get two days to enjoy the island before heading to Boston. Second, the weather will definitely be more bearable on embarkation day and while in Boston. The Bahamas trip could be good, but you might find that you need the entire first sea day before it gets appreciably warm, and might also spend the entire last sea day indoors.

• 2 weeks later...

So as I continue to mix and mingle prices and find an itinerary to please the wife, I think I may finally have a winning combination. 7 night Western Caribbean flying from EWR to IAH for just under $600 or $500 if I apply for their credit card. My question with this is, do we have enough time to get off the ship and make a 10am flight from IAH? To wait for the 1215 flight adds $104 so still not terrible but it would be nice to be home 2 hours earlier as I more than likely will be back at work within 12 hours of being home. May also be difficult to convince her to fly from EWR since PHL is so much closer. Has anyone taken NJT to get to EWR? We would most likely have family drop us off in Hamilton which is about a 40 minute ride. Also looked up the Priceline Express deals that were here in another post and that seems like it will workout very well for us, so thanks to whoever had shared that.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

As I recall, IAH is an hour drive from Galveston.  If it were me, I'd book the noon flight.

I'd agree with this - aside from other issues that I can know with happen with slowdowns due to customs or weather, Houston is known to have TERRIBLE traffic. It's not worth it. 

Worth nothing: IAH is about 1.25 hours from Galveston, Hobby is only about 45 minutes. Not a gigantic difference in time, especially if you're flying in a day early and getting a rental. We chose to fly to IAH with nonstop flights, rather than dealing with layovers getting to Hobby.

12 minutes ago, KLA said:

Worth nothing: IAH is about 1.25 hours from Galveston, Hobby is only about 45 minutes.

IAH, is normally 1.25 hours from Galveston, I agree, but  depending on the time of day and day of the week, it could be 4 hour drive. Some of the other local people might add in here, as @KLA says, the Houston commute can be terrible, I don't live there but know the town. I was driving through town this summer on a Saturday going to Galveston, took a detour to show my Grandson the NRG football stadium, what should have been a 30 minute detour took 2 hours getting from 610 East to 45 South because the had 610 shut down with a construction project on a Saturday. Instead of getting to our hotel at noon like I planned we got there around 2-2:30.

Just now, tiny260 said:

IAH, is normally 1.25 hours from Galveston, I agree, but  depending on the time of day and day of the week, it could be 4 hour drive. Some of the other local people might add in here, as @KLA says, the Houston commute can be terrible, I don't live there but know the town. I was driving through town this summer on a Saturday going to Galveston, took a detour to show my Grandson the NRG football stadium, what should have been a 30 minute detour took 2 hours getting from 610 East to 45 South because the had 610 shut down with a construction project on a Saturday. Instead of getting to our hotel at noon like I planned we got there around 2-2:30.

Same experience - I don't live there but I'm somewhat familiar. I fly in to IAH a couple times a year as my company's home office is in the Woodlands and I have quite a few colleagues based in Houston. They often talk about their 60+ minute commutes and talk about the traffic situation. Nooo thanks. 

We'll be landing on a Tuesday around 6 PM - so by the time we get luggage and our rental and fit in a stop at Torchy's we should be pretty okay. Good call on taking the time of day into consideration, though. 

24 minutes ago, KLA said:

I fly in to IAH a couple times a year as my company's home office is in the Woodlands and I have quite a few colleagues based in Houston. They often talk about their 60+ minute commutes and talk about the traffic situation. Nooo thanks. 

Understand, I'm 3-4 times per year, office is over by the Galleria Mall, used to have office in the Woodlands.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sweety said:

@Lovetocruise2002, when can we book shows. I am on Harmony in April.

I'm going to go with @Matt's default answer of anywhere around 90 days out.  However, the window can really vary.  I've seen it available as far out as 160 days and as close as about 45 days prior.  Keep checking that cruise planner.  For our cruise on Harmony on March 10, IIRC, the shows were out long before December (I think).  @bellemiche can correct me if I'm wrong.  

1 hour ago, Sweety said:

@Lovetocruise2002, when can we book shows. I am on Harmony in April.

Just checked back a previous post by @bellemiche, our entertainment was open for booking mid-October.  

Harmony has flip flopped between several CDs the last few months, they just had another change over today.  That might have something to do with it since it's the CD who oversees all that.

• 2 weeks later...

So since booking this cruise the price has gone down twice! The first time I called and the rep seemed somewhat confused as to what the price went down to and how to change it but after a brief discussion of the break down I had on their website and what he was seeing, we got the price down from $1,661.84 to what I saw $1,611.84. Now today it is lower to $1,602.84, again the rep seemed confused as she reported the price had not gone down. I've now been on hold for 25 minutes but will hopefully have the same result and new lower price again. The first time this happened I figured the rep must have been newer or not handle this situation before, now it almost feels like an effort to keep those who wont fight for the lower price at their higher price. 

On a side note the northstar and ripcord are now on the cruise planner.

Just now, kevpeirce said:

Now today it is lower to $1,602.84, again the rep seemed confused

This was a common theme whenever I called Royal to get a price reduction.  It seems that my success was base upon which representative I was talking to so I found I had the best success hanging up and calling back to try and get a different representative.  Best advice is one provided many many times here, use a travel agent and let them do the work. 

5 minutes ago, SolariumSnoozer said:

This was a common theme whenever I called Royal to get a price reduction.  It seems that my success was base upon which representative I was talking to so I found I had the best success hanging up and calling back to try and get a different representative.  Best advice is one provided many many times here, use a travel agent and let them do the work. 

I was successful again, luckily I work for a slower EMS agency so its not too difficult to stay on the phone for 30 minutes during the day. Using a travel agent would just make it too easy though, sometimes being stubborn doesn't pay off.

Just now, kevpeirce said:

so its not too difficult to stay on the phone for 30 minutes during the day.

I know how you feel as previously I would do all the cruise planning myself including monitoring cruise fares.  But then Royal cancelled one of my cruises and the cruise options they provided were lousy and I felt very unfair as they did not take into account what my priorities were.  Fortunately for me, the cancelled cruise was so far in the future I was still able to get a good deal on an alternate cruise and I let the issue slide.  Shortly after re-booking, I read on this blog about someone else who had their cruise cancelled by Royal but the cruise was very near term and Royal wanted to charge them more money to book a comparable cruise.  They had a travel agent who fought for them and was able to resolve their issue and I thought what if that had been me.  At that point I decided I wanted to have an advocate in my corner and I would rather spend my time on tripadvisor researching excursions or on youtube watching videos about my ship, cabin, entertainment options etc. rather than fighting with Royal and their sometimes uninformed/difficult representatives.