St Maarten Help

cruiselife

Hello everyone. My wife and I are going to St Maarten for the first time and are trying to decide on exactly what we want to do. We really want to see a lot of different spots on the island but since we have never been there we aren't really sure how easy it is to do that. The places we would like to see in particular are Marigot, Maho Beach, Orient Beach, and then maybe a few other beaches or overlooks. There is a jeep tour through Royal Caribbean we are considering that looks really good, but it doesn't quite go everywhere we would like to go and we really enjoy the freedom of having our own transportation.

My question for anyone who has a lot of experience in St Maarten would be is it safe for us to rent a vehicle and drive to these places on our own or should we go with a guided tour since it is our first time there?

I have also heard people talk about hiring a driver for the day there. Does anyone know approximately what that would cost?

30 minutes ago, cruiselife said:

I have also heard people talk about hiring a driver for the day there. Does anyone know approximately what that would cost?

Private drives was $375 for a full day tour.  There was 7 of us so it made more sense cost wise and I have kids so we tend to stay away from bus tours. 

Pinging @KLA as I think she has done this with Benards Tours and have been very happy with them.  I think they take you to all the places that you listed for about $40 each.

4 hours ago, cruiselife said:

https://www.bernardstours.com/tours/

Check with this place, I'm using them in January to go to Maho and just a general tour.

Most island's, if you are so inclined, you can find a taxi and negotiate a price with them, we just did this on St. Kitts and it was  blast.

We did Bernard's tours when we were there in August. They offer different tour packages. We did the beach tour.  It was a great way see the island and learn some history along the way.  There was still quite a bit of hurricane damage and our tour guide talked a lot about the recovery process.  It was a great day!  Take a look at their website.    

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:03 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Also pinging @bellemiche.  They rented a Jeep there from Hertz in the summer and went all around.  She had a great experience.  She talks about it here in her blog:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/6855-allure-review-july-8-~-15/

We did rent a jeep and had a lot of fun! It was around $100 for the day. 

On 12/23/2018 at 2:19 AM, bellemiche said:

We did rent a jeep and had a lot of fun! It was around $100 for the day. 

Great to hear the Jeep rent is very affordable. I was helping a buddy installing the new rack and extang bed cover on his truck when he mentioned going to St. Maarten trip they've been planning. His eldest son loves to go for a road trip and they will surely love to know about this Jeep rentals there.

• 2 months later...

When we were there in November we took a taxi right outside the port for a full island tour. It was ok but while we were eating lunches there happened to be a fire nearby that completely blocked up traffic. The driving maneuvers our driver did, I never would have felt comfortable doing. Their driving is kind of wild?