Majesty of the Seas-Free WiFi

Do you remember the fast food or burger wars from the 1990s?  This is what appears to be happening among the cruise ships on short itineraries.  The Norwegian Sky will be including their alcohol package as part of the cruise fare.  Royal's opening salvo was to offer free internet.  I'm waiting with curiosity to see what Carnival responds with as they seem to offer the most short cruises. 

Do you remember the fast food or burger wars from the 1990s?  This is what appears to be happening among the cruise ships on short itineraries.  The Norwegian Sky will be including their alcohol package as part of the cruise fare.  Royal's opening salvo was to offer free internet.  I'm waiting with curiosity to see what Carnival responds with as they seem to offer the most short cruises.

Interesting, I'm down with some competition.

Although I would much rather the drink package, I may be the minority but WiFi is pretty much useless to me on vacation. It would be cool if you could choose one or the other.

Wifi wouldn't compell me to sail the Majesty, but her refurbishment would.  The Norwegian Sky (former Pride of Aloha), as far as I know, isn't slated for a refurbishment, which is likely why they're offering a more "valuable" package to make up for fewer onboard features.  I wonder, however, how the experience will change with everyone being on an alcohol package, especially on a short cruise.  Will these become booze cruises?

Become? I was under the impression the short cruises already were booze cruises ;)

Honestly, free wifi is not of interest to me ... I go on vacation not to be connected to everything going on back home. One of the original things that drew me to cruising was the fact that my cellphone had to be turned off for the cruise and nobody could reach me.

I would take the drink package over the wifi anyday........

Royal is defn one of the slowest to get into the "free" offers......Celebrity, NCL, MSC, HA all have had deals in the past/currently where you get to choose extras like drinks, gratuities, specialty restaurants etc as "free" perks.....Royal nothing that I have seen since cruising with them...

Norwegian seems to have major "free" offerings, advertised as savings in the hundreds of dollars.  With VOOM becoming more prevalent and technology improving overall the easiest would be "Free" internet with an option to upgrade to a higher speed.  For example it's free for speeds up to 3-6Mbps and an additional fee for above 6Mbps.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the main reason RC doesn't offer these freebees is that they pretty much fill the ships without them.  And some are missing the big picture in that RC offers all the extra entertainment that are the reason most of us are RC cruisers to begin with.   Look at the Aqua Theatre, rock climbing walls, ice skating rink, boardwalk, central park, flow rider, etc etc.  Dont get wrong,  I would love some of those extras but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon on the Voyager Class or above

It really is a move by Royal to stay competitive in a very specific, niche market. The only way they could justify extending this to other ships and to miss out on the revenue opportunity is if a competitor started to offer free internet at a similar price point for their cruises.

I think the main reason RC doesn't offer these freebees is that they pretty much fill the ships without them.  

Bingo.  Freebies are enticements to book and if they don't need to entice, they don't feel obligated to give them away.  

I think it makes perfect sense to give it away on Majesty because it's not exactly the most tantalizing ship in the fleet.

They're keeping her for the same reason Toyota sells a Yaris. They need to compete in the cheap, short cruise market to encourage people to try them. Cruisers, like car buyers, are loyalists. They usually stick with what they know. Most of my early cruises were solely with Royal because of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, free wifi is not of interest to me ... I go on vacation not to be connected to everything going on back home. One of the original things that drew me to cruising was the fact that my cellphone had to be turned off for the cruise and nobody could reach me.

Amen to that, brother....