Chichen Itza from Yucatan - experiences?

KLA

I'm on a cruise that has Yucatan as a stop next August, and I was hoping that it might be a good opportunity to take my husband to see the ruins there. It's an 8 hour excursion booked through the cruise line, so I'm moderately less concerned about getting left behind but it's a two hour trip each way and leaves a lot of variables. 

Does anyone have experiences with RCCL excursions to Chichen Itza from Yucatan?

2 hours ago, KLA said:

I'm on a cruise that has Yucatan as a stop next August, and I was hoping that it might be a good opportunity to take my husband to see the ruins there. It's an 8 hour excursion booked through the cruise line, so I'm moderately less concerned about getting left behind but it's a two hour trip each way and leaves a lot of variables. 

Does anyone have experiences with RCCL excursions to Chichen Itza from Yucatan?

Haven't done either, but I have been to Mexico a couple of times. 4 hours on a bus with lots of variables does not sound good to me, very uncomfortable. And, depending on the roads it could be the bus trip from hell. Just my thoughts, but then again, you're young and adventurous! :3_grin:

We did a cruise out of Galveston in December 2017 that stopped at Progreso.   We did an excursion thru RCL that included a stop at Mayapan Mayan Ruins for several hours and then swimming/tubing in a Cenote (Underground sinkhole/cave).   

Mayapan is called 'Little Chichen Itza' and was only 45-60m drive from the ship.  You can climb on these ruins and the tour guides did a great job explaining significance of each building type and overall Mayan History.  Wasn't crowded at all..

Might consider this as an alternative...

(one day I'll finish my write-up on this cruise and post it...)

Itza 1.jpg

Itza 2.jpg

19 hours ago, Scatmanjack said:

We did a cruise out of Galveston in December 2017 that stopped at Progreso.   We did an excursion thru RCL that included a stop at Mayapan Mayan Ruins for several hours and then swimming/tubing in a Cenote (Underground sinkhole/cave).   

Mayapan is called 'Little Chichen Itza' and was only 45-60m drive from the ship.  You can climb on these ruins and the tour guides did a great job explaining significance of each building type and overall Mayan History.  Wasn't crowded at all..

Might consider this as an alternative...

(one day I'll finish my write-up on this cruise and post it...)

Itza 1.jpg

Itza 2.jpg

Wow - yeah this sounds like a perfect alternative. I'd love the experience of swimming in a cenote!