Transportation from hotel to port

Melsmice

We will be staying at Disney's Polynesian prior to our cruise.  We'll be going directly to the port from the hotel on February 17.   Upon our return we will be heading to a relative's home so we need transportation from the port to another location, not the airport and not a hotel.   

We currently have a rental car booked from February 12 - February 25 but are trying to figure out if it's economical to continue with the rental, park it for $17 per day and use it when we return or to get a service to the port and back.  Currently, with the rental car and parking the cost will be $800.  The transfers for 2 people are over $300, which is less expensive, however, we would still want a car from February 12 - 17, prior to the cruise, and also would need transportation from the relative's home to the airport on February 25, so we could be looking at the same price.  

We're thinking that for sake of convenience it may be better to keep the car and just incur the cost of parking and having it sit in port.  Wondering what others have done and what your preferred method of transport to and from the port is?  

Wow, that sounds like a bunch of unnecessary rental and parking fees to me.

If you are staying on Disney property (and it sounds like you are) I don’t see the point in having a rental car at all until you get ready to leave Disney and go to the port.  ...and even then, it would probably be cheaper to get an Uber from Disney to the port than a rental car. From what I think I read, the first time you will really need a rental car is when you get off the ship.  If it was me, I would look into renting a car one way from the port to wherever your final destination is.  Sometimes, one way car rental fees are brutal (Galveston, for example) but between Orlando and the port it isn’t prohibitive.

(1) If you are staying on Disney property and don't plan to leave their property while there, you don't really need a car. We've used Uber the few times where Disney Transportation is too time intensive.

(2) We have multiple times done a one-way rental from Orlando to the port and back again. Alamo and National both have a free shuttle (others do as well, those are just who we use) and there are no one way penalties in Florida. No way would I pay to park a rental for the length of the cruise.