Flight Reimbursement due to cancellation of sailing

YVR

Hi All,

Urgent help please!  Does anyone has any experience of getting the flight reimbursement due to cancellation of sailing?  Sailing on Oasis of the Sea on Mar 31 2019 has been cancelled due to maintenance.  All of us (5 families = 20 people) had already booked our flight from Vancouver to Orlando.  Now, we all have to change our flight to Miami instead.

As  per the notice from RCCL:  

• And, you’ll be reimbursed for non-refundable airline charges with receipts (up to $200 per guest for Domestic flights and up to $400 per guest for International flights). 

Does the flight compensation covers both penalty (or any change fee) and the difference in flight cost?  I talked to the agent over the phone and sent them an email for clarification.  No one can give me a definite answer. 

Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.  

This is the exact wording from an email from RC on a cruise we were scheduled on that was cancelled: 

Guests who incur a fee due to the change in their airline reservations will be reimbursed up to $200 per person, for Domestic Flights & $300 per person, for International Flights. A faxed copy of air fees assessed must be provided for reimbursement. Guests who cancel their sailing or air are not eligible for air change fee reimbursement.

We hadn't purchased airfare yet (thankfully), but the way I read it is they will only cover fees related to changes, not reimbursement of the actual airfare. 

Thanks for all the replies! 

Unfortunately, we all booked our flights on our own, not through RC.  One family even has to take a downgrade in room category because the interior promenade is sold out.  That's why we would like to clarify the flight compensation before the due date of final payment.  At this point, I still haven't got a definite answer from RC.  Cancellation of a sailing by RC during spring break with a short notice is not fun at all.   

To say I'm disgusted with RCL is an understatement after cancelling our weeks cruise for maintenance I'm expected to pay £1700 for the pleasure of said cancellation. Unless I was prepared to stay at an airport hotel as it's cheaper further away from amenities and frankly not as nice.

Staff at the call centre not as interested as you would hope supervisors happy to cancel without speaking to the customer directly what a shame customer I use the term loosely profit number would best describe us. 

This would have been our first cruise with RCL in a while as we have tried other cruise lines to sample but although they were good and very good value we thought go back to our first and favourite RCL. Well I have to say what a mistake that has turned out to be.

Not only loosing our cruise as I wasn't prepared to pay the price they wanted I've lost my flights to London booked by ourselves another  £300 wasted.

So thank you RCL for taking the trouble of spoiling the holiday season before it has started

bewildered and dismayed 

Jim

4 hours ago, James skinner said:

To say I'm disgusted with RCL is an understatement after cancelling our weeks cruise for maintenance I'm expected to pay £1700 for the pleasure of said cancellation. Unless I was prepared to stay at an airport hotel as it's cheaper further away from amenities and frankly not as nice.

Staff at the call centre not as interested as you would hope supervisors happy to cancel without speaking to the customer directly what a shame customer I use the term loosely profit number would best describe us. 

This would have been our first cruise with RCL in a while as we have tried other cruise lines to sample but although they were good and very good value we thought go back to our first and favourite RCL. Well I have to say what a mistake that has turned out to be.

Not only loosing our cruise as I wasn't prepared to pay the price they wanted I've lost my flights to London booked by ourselves another  £300 wasted.

So thank you RCL for taking the trouble of spoiling the holiday season before it has started

bewildered and dismayed 

Jim

Jim, I feel your pain. We were about 9 months out when they cancelled our cruise this past January. I was mad enough I took that cruise to NCL. To be honest, we are only giving RC another shot because they had a great deal for when we wanted to sail. I know this won't matter a hill of beans, but this is one area that baffles me on RC - especially with everyone who says they have great customer service. 

3 hours ago, tdcackler said:

I know this won't matter a hill of beans, but this is one area that baffles me on RC - especially with everyone who says they have great customer service. 

The front line staff are top notch. They are what makes the company so great.  

Corporate... That's a different story.