Diamond and up 3 drinks

Shari

I didn’t realize that RC had made this an “official” policy.  For some time this policy was totally arbitrary depending on the ship.  Some ships would allow the Diamond “coupons” to be used in the dining rooms and some would not.  If they’ve made it official that the D drinks coupons can be used in the dining room that’s a good thing.

Just be aware that diamond happy hour drinks in the MDR policy varies by ship.  More and more ships in 2018 seemed to allow it, even when the diamond letter in my cabin seemed to suggest otherwise.  

I took 14 cruises on 12 different ships in 2018 and 80% of them provided happy hour drinks in the MDR.  

I did sense a trend towards allowing MDR happy hours drinks on a more frequent basis as the year progressed.  

However, just like it started happening, it could just as easily be reverted.  

On 12/15/2018 at 9:11 AM, Shari said:

I saw a post on FB that showed the 3 drinks are now available in the MDR and specialty restaurants during the "happy hour" timeframe.  Has anyone who has sailed recently seen this on your perks paper?

Yeah, but good luck finding any bar service in the MDR.  You'll have a better chance of finding a leprechaun riding a unicorn through the MDR than finding bar service. 

On 12/19/2018 at 6:17 PM, bcarney said:

Yeah, but good luck finding any bar service in the MDR.  You'll have a better chance of finding a leprechaun riding a unicorn through the MDR than finding bar service. 

Wow.  Such an opposite of what I experienced all year.  The assistant waiter always asked me if I wanted a drink as soon as I sat down.   That's when I ask if I can use my happy hour drinks.  They were pretty good about asking about refills mid-meal too.  

Contrast that to Carnival where the wait staff are not allowed to perform bar service and that is when I learned to take a glass of wine with me to dinner.  I've never had to resort to that on Royal though, wait staff can get drinks.  

On 12/19/2018 at 8:17 PM, bcarney said:

The assistant waiter should be the one taking care of ordering your drink. On both Lady G and Anthem this year, the assistant waiter did ask me for what I would like to drink and he can get it for me. 

On 12/19/2018 at 8:17 PM, bcarney said:

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Wow.  Such an opposite of what I experienced all year.  The assistant waiter always asked me if I wanted a drink as soon as I sat down.   That's when I ask if I can use my happy hour drinks.  They were pretty good about asking about refills mid-meal too.  

Contrast that to Carnival where the wait staff are not allowed to perform bar service and that is when I learned to take a glass of wine with me to dinner.  I've never had to resort to that on Royal though, wait staff can get drinks.  

I've had mixed experiences in MDR with bar service and it seems to vary from ship to ship.  Some ships it's very good, while other ships I've noticed it's a struggle to get bar service.

Personally, I mitigate the issue by bringing my own wine, but if I have the Deluxe Beverage Package, then I'm dependent on the staff to be available.

With all things bar service, I defer to @ShakeDownCruise since he brings his stop watch to time how long between Gentleman Jacks

On 12/21/2018 at 1:51 PM, Matt said:

I've had mixed experiences in MDR with bar service and it seems to vary from ship to ship.  Some ships it's very good, while other ships I've noticed it's a struggle to get bar service.

I have found it to be totally hit or miss on my 4 cruises.  What I usually do is grab a glass of ? at vintages on my way to the mdr and order my refill before I finish it.  Then it usually times out ok.  Jane