Drink Pkg Galveston

Trevor G

Yes it will work on embarkation day but you will have a very limited set of liquors / beers and wines available to you until about 7:00 pm that first day.  You will get basic brands like Smirnoff, Bacardi, No Name Tequila, Bud, Miller.  

They do make a nice strong texas tea on Embarkation day which is basically a long island with Tequila in it.  

Its not that big of a deal but you cant get any top shelf until the first evening.

Good answer from @marti314. Some other cruise lines handle it differently - like not offer anything at all as part of the drink package the first day. From my understanding a lot of it has to do with how alcohol is taxed in Texas. I think Royal basically eats some of the cost when cruising from Texas to make the limited selection available. 

Only so much they can do with the rules they're given. 

Just now, KLA said:

Good answer from @marti314. Some other cruise lines handle it differently - like not offer anything at all as part of the drink package the first day. From my understanding a lot of it has to do with how alcohol is taxed in Texas. I think Royal basically eats some of the cost when cruising from Texas to make the limited selection available. 

Only so much they can do with the rules they're given. 

Yes, Texas is an odd state that EVERY liquor you sell has to be bought through what is now a single distributor (BEN E KEITH) and you will notice when in port the bottles all have a sticker on it.  This sticker basically says Texas is taxing that bottle like crazy which is why RCL chooses to go with limited brands (typically cheaper brands) to avoid massive taxes.