As expected, RCI being sued over the Zip Line death in Roaton

Just now, KJ1231 said:

Inquiring minds want to know - how did they collide?

I have absolutely no idea .....  The whole thing is tragic, if I remember correctly, they were on their honeymoon.  I wonder if any paperwork (release forms) were signed ahead of time ...... There are no winners & losers here .... just sad.

1 hour ago, coneyraven said:

I have absolutely no idea .....  The whole thing is tragic, if I remember correctly, they were on their honeymoon.  I wonder if any paperwork (release forms) were signed ahead of time ...... There are no winners & losers here .... just sad.

Waivers hold no weight before the court, which is the biggest misunderstanding that most folks get taken by.

Waivers sound like you're signing away all rights due to the risk but they really only cover your own actions and stupidity.  Any accident due to equipment malfunction or incompetence by the zip line staff and the waiver won't save the company from a lawsuit.  (I've talked about this with the staff at my rock climbing gym.  Their insurance is very expensive because they know the waivers are pretty weak.)

I don't see how Royal Caribbean is at any fault though.  You'd have to be pretty dense to believe RCI was running the zip line.  I assume they are only getting sued because they have deeper pockets than the zip line company and the lady thinks there's some chance they'll just pay the $1 million to avoid more bad publicity.

Yeah you can always sue anybody even if you sign a waiver. It’s just supposed to scare you into thinking you can’t sue. But I totally agree that Royal probably isn’t at fault. America, land of the lawsuit. Japan produces 10 scientists for every lawyer and here is the US it’s the other way around. 

It’s sad to hear about stories like this but two things in the article sound odd.

First - about them being “made to believe” RCCL operated the Zip Line. I’ve always seen the disclaimers about third party operators.

Second - the collision itself.  I’ve just been on the zipline excursion in Antigua and the staff members were pretty strict about waiting for the go-signal before going on the line.

The main issue here is not even if people thought its RCL operating it or not .

When I book a tour via RCL you are willing to pay the extra money not just for the ship will wait for you but also I believe RCL is making sure they are contracting such activities to a trusted 3rd parties which RC verifying there standards.  

On 12/15/2018 at 9:57 PM, Traveler said:

When I book a tour via RCL you are willing to pay the extra money not just for the ship will wait for you but also I believe RCL is making sure they are contracting such activities to a trusted 3rd parties which RC verifying there standards. 

Correct, that's part of the "deal", that RC is vetting these vendors that they are reliable and operate their business "the right way". 

The reality is accidents happen everywhere and to every company. Every so often people die at Disney World. Doesn't make Disney World unsafe or a bad choice, just the reality of life (unfortunately).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...