Dining at Chops Grille

NeilM

We are leaving on a cruise in 2 weeks on Navigator of the Seas out of Galveston.  I have read all the posts here and they have been a big help.  This is not our first cruise but has been about 10 years since we have been on one.  I am not a fromal type and do not care to dress up on the cruise.  Shorts and tee shirts are my cup of tea, wore suits for 35 years while working, but now retired and gave away all my suits.  Sounds like the Windjammer or Promenade is where I will be eating most of my meals, but I do want to try Chops Grille for sure.  Will dress slacks and dress shirt (with or without tie) be ok for dinner at Chops?  I have already made reservations, and from what I read was planning on taking a sports coat.  If I do not need it, it will just save room in the suitcase.  Also, will slacks and dress shirt be ok for dinner at the Main Dining room, except on formal night , of course?  On formal night, does the dress attire only apply to the MDR or also to the specialty restaurants?  Reading the policy is a little confusing.  Thanks for any help. 

A polo or button up shirt and dress pants or khakis will be fine.  Even on formal night, the specialty restaurants are smart casual.  There's no need for a tie and what you suggest for dress is fine.  This is also acceptable for the main dining room, even on formal night, although I do opt for a tie myself.

I am like you as far as dress. I don't pack dressy clothes. Reservations for Chops and Giovanni's are on formal nights to avoid the MDR. Clean jeans and a nice sport shirt will do. Windjammer is totally casual. Shorts and t shirts are fine. Don't overpack. You're on vacation. You'll be in swimwear for the first 12 hours of every day. Like I said, jeans and a sport shirt are fine. I avoid the MDR on formal nights out of respect for those who enjoy Playing dressup.

NickyNewark, Thanks for the information.  We also have reservations for Chops and Sabor, not sure if they are on formal nights or not.  Do you know which nights are formal nights?  We will just plan on doing something else on fromal nights instead of going to the MDR.  Sounds like Windjammer is my kind of place, so may eat there a lot.  I will be packing a lot of shorts and t shirts, not a suit, for sure.  Maybe we will see each other on the cruise.  Have a safe drive in. 

We went to Chops instead of the MDR on formal night and I wore casual shorts and a nice T-shirt with a pocket.  I know it's not for everyone but I was comfortable and nobody batted an eye.  I attached a picture of the nice surprise we got.  I didn't tell anyone on staff about the anniversary.  Just noted it when booking the cruise online.

Dan dna Monika

Riverview, FL

post-717-0-05576400-1440453372_thumb.jpg

We went to Chops instead of the MDR on formal night... I attached a picture of the nice surprise we got.  I didn't tell anyone on staff about the anniversary.  Just noted it when booking the cruise online.

Dan dna Monika

Riverview, FL

We had a similar surprise from the Chops staff on Navigator last year. We had noted our anniversary on the reservation, didn't say anything to the onboard staff, and a very nice dessert showed up after our dinner at Chops. Very nice touch, an excellent dessert, and we really appreciated it.