san juan questions

mom2mybugs

Hi!  So my husband and I pre-cruised in san juan and were able to have plenty of time to walk around.  We will be in as a cruise stop for the first time after the hurricane damage and with time constraints.  We are only there from 7-2, so I'm thinking we only have from 730ish to 1pm (I would have to be back way before sailaway because i panic lol).  We want to see el morro and walk around old san juan and maybe eat a quick bite.  Is this something we can do on our own without doing a boat tour.  They have one, but it's only 2.5 hours, and $49 per person.  It would work, but if we are talking a cab right to el morro arriving at 9, an hour at the fort, and then walk to old san juan.  Is that walk doable...i know you can walk to cristabel and thats only about 20 mins, but i don't remember where old san juan is in relationship to the fort.  I also have no idea where the cruise port is in relationship to el morro and old san juan....are all of these doable by taxi/walking at a reasonable price?  I just can't see doing it on our own for 3 people would be as much as $150 (the cost of 3 tours) and we'd have more time.  Jane

@mom2mybugs...Old San Juan is easy to walk around.  When we were there in July, we got off the ship around 8:30am, walked to El Morro, through the city streets, and then walked back to the ship along the water.  We were back on board by about 12:30pm.  I used a site called Puerto Rico Day trips to help me plan out the path a bit.  Going to tag @twangster as well because there is an app that he mentioned before (I can't remember the name) that is useful.  I did not use it because, as a Canadian, I couldn't get data without paying high roaming charges.  Also, IIRC, @JLMoran also did PR in that time frame.  Perhaps look over his Freedom blog to see the path they took.  I'm sure he will chime in here too.

You can definitely walk around OSJ in the time frame you gave. That was our exact window on my trip last April, and all-aboard time is 1:30. Here's my recap of the day:

My only comment on timing is that you may want to skip having a sit-down lunch there and just go for some street food; we found a place at 11:30, right when it opened, and didn't get out until 1. We barely made it back onto the ship in time; not pier-runner close, but uncomfortably close. I think in hindsight that I'd have rather spent a little longer with sightseeing, grabbed something small as we walked along, and then had a bigger meal after getting back on board.